Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Drinking while Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Drinking while Pregnant

Is it okay for an ocassional glass of wine during pregnancy?
Just because your baby will live doesn't mean you made him/her the healthiest they can be for life. Sorry you're not "party fun" anymore you're best mommy award status. Go find some preggo friends and craft or something!
I've heard yes, but I honestly don't see how ANY alcohol is okay during pregnancy and would never, ever drink any and never suggest it either.
see that's how i am too! but i just went out with friends nd hubby nd they're like "you want a glass of wine?" nd i'm like uhhhhh i'm pregnant nd they tried to assure me it was okay, but i thought alcohol during pregnancy leads to fetal alcohol syndrome, learning disabilities, etc.
Some doctors say it's okay, but I'd say no way Jose!
As long as you dony exceeded 4 oz of white wine a day it should be fine by what ive heard from drs personally i havent drank anything since getting pregnant and dont plan to until i am done breast feeding :)
Id say the occasional one is ok yes but everyone has diffrent opinions i have had a few during my pregnancy and did with my first and i had a perfectly healthy little boy, Infact some docters recomend a glass of red wine every now and then or abit of guiness is actually good for the baby
Doctors say one thing then another. I'm pretty sure alcohol fetal syndrome is caused by excessive amounts of alcohol intake BUT I personally wouldn't risk it.
I agree that FAS is caused by excessive amounts of drinking, not one glass of wine, but think about it, if you saw a woman 9 months pregnant at the bar sipping a glass of wine, would you have pleasant thoughts of this woman or talk shyt and assume she drank her whole pregnancy?! just a thought..... oh and when watching "I didn't know I was pregnant" on TLC they have doctors come on and explain the risks of drinking AT ALL during pregnancy, and the doctor said that women who believe a glass of wine is ok during pregnancy is the leading cause of down syndrome in the USA and that no amount of alcohol has EVER been proven safe during pregnancy. I try not to judge because it is such a controversial topic, but I personally would not do it.
no amount of alcohol is safe during pregnancy, and thats the thing, no one is going to risk their baby to test to see how much is safe or not... fetal alcohol syndrome has been found in babies/children whose mothers were only social drinkers, ie the odd glass every now and again, and they just dont know when it will affect your baby in the womb  as well, so in my opioion it really isnt worth it, you wouldnt give your baby a diluted glass of wine when its young so why give it that when baby is inside you
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers