Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Echogenic Bowel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Echogenic Bowel

During my 18 week ultrasound we found out that the baby has echogenic bowel.  The doctor at the sonogram told us that it was nothing to worry about, but my ob had me return for another scan at 22 weeks.  The baby still has echnogenic bowel--which is associated with down syndrome, virus, and cf.  The dr. reassured me that because my odds of having a baby with down syndrome from the nuchal translucency was less than 1 in 10,000 and that I am not a carrier for cf, my baby should be fine.  I guess I am still worried that my baby may have one of these problems.  What else might be going on?
So a lot fo times, they will see something on an u/s and by the time the baby is born it's nothing!  No need for any worry.  However, if you want to get a second opinion i'm sure your doctor could sent you to a neonatologist, they are the genetic doctors.  Just to see if they truly think it's anything.  You'd also likely get another scan from them as well!  So they can have their techs look through everything to see.  :)

Sarah~ U/S's are NEVER completely accurate. As for detecting down syndrome they're %60 accurate meaning a %40 fail rate.

if you feel you NEED to find out if the baby has Down's then get an Amnio done. as most of the ppl on this board know, My son was diagnosed with downs syndrome at 17 weeks. He's 10 weeks old now!

if you need any advice on the disorder feel free to pm me.
Hi Sarah,

Yetsreday I had a ultrasound and diganosed baby has echogeneic bowel and no othey symptom of down's syndrome. MY OBGYN says it is OK, chances of baby being down is less for my age. I am really depressed and don't know whether to get  amnionitis  test done or   not, as it is associated with risk of miscarriage. Can you please let me know how is your baby now.

Thanks,
Susan
Hi Susan,

The diagnosis made me very upset and nervous too.  We had follow up ultra sounds and the finding remained (in some cases it clears up in a couple weeks). My baby is now 3 months old and absolutely perfect.  Just like you, the doctor told me not worry--and they were right. I did worry though--throughout the whole pregnancy that something might be wrong.  I was not offered an amnio because my risk of downs was so low, but if I were in the situation again I would consider asking for an amnio for peace of mind.  I think it would have allowed me to more fully enjoy the pregnancy--that and reduced stress might outweigh the risks of having an aminio.  Feel free to message me or post again if you would like to talk about this in greater detail.

Sarah
blueeyedtabby cat has had the same diagnosis, maybe you'd like to message her.
I am so glad that everything has turned out ok with your baby:) As worriedbabe said, my baby was diagnosed with ecogenic bowel to. I tested high for DS  and was offered an amnio but untill I get further along with the ricks involved I choose to wait and have it done later just for peace of mind. Its horrible when they put so much extra stress on us pregnant woman. If my quad screen test had come back with a better  (higher) number I wouldnt be so worried myself. Its in Gods hands from the begining, I just want to be prepared:) Congrats on your baby!
I am in 18 week pregnancy and scanning shows echogenic bowel but the doctor says nothing to worry but as i read the effects it can have later on my child scares me out and sometimes i have white discharge and very acute pain twice or thrice till now I am worried whats next offer me some peace of mind  
I just came from a 32 week ultrasound where they told me the baby had the echogenic bowel...I'm very worried..this is my first baby I had a miscarriage 6 years ago ..I'm 35 now..md said she not worries just want ro monitor it I go back for another scan in two weeks...im just so worried now!!!!