Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Energy Drinks/Redbull....Is my baby in trouble?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Hello. I have on about three or four seperate occasions gone out for special occassions and in lieu of drinking (obviously), I would have 2-3 Redbulls or related energy drink. I though because there was not caffeine listed in it, it would be okay. Well now I am reading that it's not listed because energy drinks don't fall under FDA regulation, and that there is not only caffiene but lots of other stuff that can be bad for your baby. I am really worried that I caused harm. Are there any side effects that have been found other than lower than normal birth weight? Freaking out and so mad at myself for not double checking!
I have read articles that excess caffeine during pregnancy can possibly be a reason for ADHD, but it has not been proven yet. Just some of the tests and ideas they have thrown around I think. I wold call your doctor and ask them about it.
Definately call your Dr, but I tried to look up any research done on the subject and came up empty handed. I do know however that herbal suplements are NOT acceptable at the hospital I'm having my baby at. They say they counter act with many of the meds they administered. They even recomend you stop them 3 weeks prior to admission so they are out of your system. Most energy drinks contain herbs, gensing, kava kava etc. If it speeds up our hearts, I'd be affraid to see what it does to a baby. Heck my lil one goes nuts when I have just a lil caffeine.
I have also had problems finding research. I guess I am more worried about the residual effects, as I did have a check up since I went out those few times, and everything was normal; in fact he was a little longer than average.
How far along are you?  I would say if you are in the first couple of months, I doubt it has hurt anything, but yes let your doc know just to be safe!!
Red Bull and other energy drinks contain enormous amounts of caffeine and can raise your heart and blood pressure. I wouldn't drink anymore but as far as effecting the baby, long-term exposure to such drinks WILL have effects on their wellbeing. But just a few probably won't. Just don't drink anymore, okay?!
The link between caffeine during pregnancy and adhd is very odd..  With my first child, I didn't drink a single sip of ANYTHING that had caffeine, including the fact I turned down chocolate.  My son is almost 8 and was diagnosed with ADHD at 3 yrs old and his docs said he was one of the worst cases they had ever seen.  Now my 2nd and 3rd child, I cheated, drank some soda or tea here and there, and neither one of them have a trace of ADHD...  Now I am preg with my 4th, although I limit my caffeine, I still like my occasional soda and love tea, so we will see...  Maybe the LACK of caffeine during pregnancy can cause ADHD...lol..  Now when someone can tell me why my 5 yr old son has autism, then we will have a miracle...lol...  
my son was drinking 3-4 a day for a week ended up in hospital because his heart was skipping and fluttering really bad, they told him they were very bad for hearts, so stay off of them, am sure baby ok , but i would be calling my dr.
I would deffinately ask your doctor.
Cuz depending on how far along you are, will tell you whether or not you might be in trouble.

My baby's perfectly healthy so far, and I drank alot of soda [[mostly orange soda cuz it's my fave! lol]] Vaulte a energy Drink [[cuz that's like my fave drink in the world!!! lol]] and even drank hard liquor before I found out I was a month and a half pregnant.

If it's still early, you shouldn't have a problem cuz it doesn't really start counting against you until you hit your second trimester.

So I think you're okay if it was just a few times.