Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Facial swelling after vomiting???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Facial swelling after vomiting???

Ok ladies, I have search this online with no luck:( I need your input!! I am 15.6 weeks today, last night(early morning) I got really sick, this is only the 2nd time in this pregnancy that I have acually vomited. I know why, those darned prenatel vits, ugh!! I took them on an empty tummy.  So I knew I needed something in my stomach, so I ate some tositos, Mmmm:) Well after the 3rd chip I got really sick. When I was just about done I realized there was some blood mixed in. I am pretty sure that was from the force it come out, but IDK:( Then I looked in the mirror.................... OMG my face was sooooooo puffy!!! I could barely see out of my eyes, It looked like I went 9 rounds with Mike Tyson!! I have never had any facial swelling before and now being pregnant it really concerns me. This morning its still a little puffy, around the eyes and jaw line:(  I even had an ice pack on my face for about an hour afterward and it seemed to help a little.
So my question is- Has anyone ever experianced facial swelling after vomiting?? Is it normal??
I have my 16 week check up on friday, I really hope its nothing.................
Thank you ladies!!
Im going to take a short nap while Dalton is napping, I will check back in a bit, please let me know if this has happened to you:)
i've never heard of that before...  the only thing i can think of would be the pressure from the force of vomiting or blood rushing to your face (but i wouldn't think that would last that long or be that bad) or an allergic reaction to the chips you were eating.
That is weird, I agree with kennedy that it might be from all the blood running to your face.
The blood is most likely from forcefully vomiting as long as it wasn't more than a few specs, I had that happen too.
You need to eat BEFORE taking the vitamins not after so that food is in your tummy when the vitamin gets there. I usually take mine after lunch.
Well, I did once in college after a night of too many drinks...to this day I thank the lord I lived through that night!  The next FEW days my face was so swollen and puffy and I had broken blood vessels all over my face...I looked like the walking dead!

Not pregnancy related for me BUT I think it can be normal after vomitting.

Feel better and remember to EAT and then take the vite!
It could very well be from the force of vomitting. I never experienced it like that though. My eyes were just about blood shot one time from it, but no swelling. Do you think you could have also had an allergic reaction to something maybe? I don't know, but it's strange that the puffiness would last that long. Hmmm...I'm no expert, just throwing my two cents in! =) I hope you feel better soon and yes, remember to take those prenatals with some food in your stomach.
Thank!! It could have been because I was standing and bending over so far, I didnt think of that:) Usually when I get sick I kneel in front of the toliet but because I live in a house full of BOYS I noticed there was pee around the rim right before and chose to stand, lol!! I just cleaned that darn toliet!! My kids really need to work on their aim!!
And yes I know better about taking my pills on an empty stomach:( Thats why I take them so late, I usually eat a piece of toast or something and go to bed so that I dont have these problems, I have definitly learned my lesson!!! I just wish I would have taking a picture!! My hubby kept asking if I was ok while I was getting sick, I couldnt even tell him to leave me alone. I came out of the bathroom ready to cry and said" why can I cry or even trow up and still look pretty like some woman?" He looked at me straight in my puffy/swelling eyes and said "you are beautiful" He even wanted a kiss even though I told him I hadnt brushed my teeth yet!! Just a peck though, lol!! Talk about love:)
That is funny...I don't think I am one of those women who look good crying either ;)  And, I don't think anyone looks pretty puking or after puking!  
Yes, swelling is a side effect from vomiting.  If you search through websites regarding eating disorders such as bulimia, you'll see that one of the warning signs of a bulimic are swollen cheeks/face.  So the swelling you've encountered from this episode is totally normal.  It should disappear after a week or so.  Hopefully it's gone by the time you read this... unless you got sick again :(
Lol!! I have been sick since this but I guess it hasnt been that bad. Of course I have learned to kneel next to the toliet too. A few days ago I got so sick, it tasted and felt like I was throwing up posion!! UGH, maybe it was stomach acid, IDK:( Thanks for your feedback.
I just had this happen to me last night. I am 17 weeks pregnant and have not puked yet this pregnancy till last night. I ate a chicken pannini with motzarella around 6:30 and woke up at 10:30 puking ran to the toilet and I however kneeled to the toilet.... my son's not potty trained yet :) I was going at it for about 8 mins. Probably close to the worst i have ever puked. i could feel my face starting to burn and immediately it started to swell. The red dots (broken blood vessels) were not apparent untill this morning while the swelling has gone down quite a bit it is still pretty bad. My Husband was worried to go to sleep that something was going to happen to me like you said it looked like you were fighting with mike tyson. I thought it looked like a burn victim because my eyelids had almost turned inside out because it was so swollen. I couldn't close my eyes for a good 1/2 hour and then had to put a cold compress over them to make it go down. Very scary I have an appointment on Thursday which I will ask about but if you learn anything new let me know. Some people have said maybe allergies but i don't understand why it would come apparent after i have thrown up and not before when i was consuming the food. Good luck Hope you feel better now.