Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Faint Bfp's, Evap Lines, & Bfn's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Faint Bfp's, Evap Lines, & Bfn's

So...I am officially 16 dpo and af hasn't shown. I tested yesterday at 4 am, and saw one dark line. bfn. Well later I looked at it and noticed another line. It was lighter, but had some color to it. I disregarded it bc I noticed it after the proper time had elapsed. I tested today, not fmu, and this time within the time frame another line appeared. This line was very light, not much color to ir at all, but you can plainly see it better than the one from yesterday. I tested again with Frer and got a bfn. Are the other two supposed to be evaps? The first two tests were $ tree, and they havent failed me yet...well...until now. I'll wait a few days and see what happens, but as someone pointed out to me, what are the odds of having two evaps within a 2 day period?
Well, this is not going to be very good advice, due to the fact of what the instructins say on the box, however I will share with you me experience :)...In my experience if you see any line at all, especially within the time frame alloted in the instuctions, then it would have been positive...with my last 2 kids, the evaporation lines have actually turned out to be poitives!  With my 3rd son, I took a test, I believe it was the Answer brand because that specific brand was the only one I used with my first two, anyways I took the test with my 3rd son and after the 3 minutes, there was nothing.  So I threw it away and thought nothing more about it.  A few hours later, I went into the bathroom to take out the garbage, and low and behold there it was...a very faint line...however it HAD been sitting there for 3 to 4 hours, and it looked dried out but I panicked anyways.  I sent my god daughter to the store to get me another multi-pack of the same brand, and immedeatly took like 2 more.  I think it was a pack of 4.  The same thing happened with the next 2, so I decided to wait until the morning.  In the morning, I took a test, and in the 3 min, I got a BFN....again, threw it away.  But a few hours later I went in again because I thought maybe the same thing that happened the night before happened again.  And yes indeed it did.  So what I did next was I waited for about 5 days, and tested with my first morning urine, and it came out BFP....so sometimes the evap lines are right.  The same thing happened with my daughter. She is my youngest.  I worked at a hospital laboratory, and by the way, the ones that are used in medical facilities really arent any different than the ones you can buy at your local drugstore....but I took one, and nothing, so I put it in a bag andput it in my pocket for when I was close to a biohazard bin so I could throw it away.  Well, I forgot about it for about 2 hours.  I reached into my pocket to grab a pen, and found it, so I went to throw it away, but when I pulled it out of my pocket, there was a very faint line!.  So, I got like 5 more and took them home, and when I got home, I took another one.  BFN, then I took another one, and a faint line appeared.  I took all 5 and I got 3 negatives, and 2 very faint positives...so that night when I went to work, I had the med tech that I was working with draw my blood and run a quant HCG, and it registered at 26!  So after this long and drawn out story, my conclusion is, is that it is a very good chance that you are pregnant.  I am sorry I wrote like a novel, but just sharing with you my experience with pregnancy testing.....I really hope this helps you!  What my advice for you would be to wait until this weekend, and take another one.  If the tests are struggling right now to give you accurate results, you may be right on that line of registering, and by this weekend it should be more accurate.  If you want a most definate answer, you can call your physician and have him draw a blood quantatative HCG, those don't lie....Good luck to you!

Tara
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It just gets frustrating when you hear, "A line is a line" and then, "It has to have color to be a bfp!" I'm definitely going to be taking your advice and testing later on in the week. As the test dried up today, the line lost part of it's visibility, but it is still there. I still don't want to get my hopes up just in case af shows up! lol. RIght now...its looking like she's not going to be coming any time soon!
Ooh,  this is getting exciting!!!!
Exciting? Yes. I must admit, I'm feeling much more positive and happier than I was several days ago. However, I'm going to probably see about making an appt. with my doctor and see if they will do a blood test. I'm axious to see!
I would, too - especially given your other symptoms! :-)
Yeah, definately make an appointment and get a quant hcg drawn, those for sure don't lie!
i had a crazy time w/ faint lines last month also. i got so many faint lines on different brands of test. it was very frustrating! i thought there was no way i was getting that many evap lines. plus AF was late for the 1st time in my life, so i thought i was surely pregnant. i had blood drawn on a fri, & that night AF came (4 days after she was due). so when my dr called to tell me the bloodwork was neg i was not suprised. when i asked her about the faint lines she said some HPTs can detect the LH hormone right before your period. WHATEVER! that is so annoying! so that was just my experience w/ faint/evap lines. i hope your outcome is totally different!!! good luck when yu test again. i hope u get a super dark line!!!!
Well, I've been fairly regular when it comes to my cycle since going off of bc. The last two months I've been starting on the 8th, spotting on the fifth or sixth. When that didn't happen this month, I thought something was off. I started looking at my CM and normally after O I dry up...well, not this month. I'm still having some watery cm. I really do hope that this month is our bfp!
Going to the doctor for hpt and blood test to either confirm or rule out pregnancy. Wish me luck!

Baby dust to everyone who is trying!
Hey you better let us know!
The hpt came back negative as I knew it would. They said not to worry that the blood test will show it. (Yes, they said it like they were confident that I am pg). I dunno...I'm not so excited, in fact I'm dreading calling the nurse tomorrow. I'm trying to stay positive, but I'm finding it hard to when we've been faced with such disappointment in the past four months.
Well try to stay positive. I am sure that if there is something going on blood tests are pretty right on about it. I hope that you are and it seems like your symptoms could be promising. Let us know how you get along.
The blood test was negative. Af is still a no show, in face im having an abundance of watery cm. UGH! What's going on?
Dollar store tests have been known to get levels as low a 7! Even FRER is rated at 25. Sometimes a low number in blood tests doctors will tell you neg. I would wait a few days and take another test. If you use the $ test and the line is darker, try a FRER. if that comes up BFP then go back to your doctor. Sometimes it just takes time for the levels to be high enough. Good Luck!
Well, the nurse was sorta rude when I called. She said, "You are positively negative." Who says that to a patient that you know is ttc? I asked her for the number that my hcg was at...well, she said, "Have a nice day." I woke up with cramps this morning and I just knew af was here...well...she wasn't. I'm hoping that my levels just aren't high enough, but at this point I'm just taking it a day at a time.
I am havinga similar situation as youa re dear.I took 2 dollar store testson Tuesday (2 weeks afterunprotected sex) and I got 2 very faint positives! Went into the bathroom alittle bit later and they were darker. I went and got 2 answer tests and both faint agian and a little darker a hour later.... What a pain this is! I woke up this morning with reallyreally sore nipples, light cramping (some gas pains) and neausea! I reallywantto be but dont want to get myhopes up! Tests kinda suck!
Well...I'm now 19dpo and my blood test was supposedly negative and af hasn't shown. The two faint bfp's were only with dollar tree tests, so I guess it's possible to have two evap lines.
I hope this will help you.  The last time i was pregnant my first blood test was negative and the next week i insisted they do another blood test because of very faint second lines and they said my hcg level was a 13 and that was negative but its not anything over 5 is positve but at my doctors office they don't call it til over 25 so 2 days later i repeated the blood test and it was 54 so i was definately pregnant.  My doctors nurse was an a**hole to me also but i just laughed after the fact because i was right.  Unfortunately i ended up miscarrying but the digital clear blue easy picked up my pregnancy when my level was only a 13 and i took 5 of them.  so i would test with one of those. I'm hoping all is well.
That's very helpful! My primary Dr said anything over 5 is considered pregnant. Well, I think I'm going to call my GYN tomorrow and ask her why the heck af hasn't started and maybe she will tell me what my levels were. I haven't done anymore hpt's because honestly I didn't see the point. I took a clearblue easy digital right before af was due and it was negative, but I knew it would be. It's just frustrating! I was on bcp for several years and I went off of it in Feb, and had my first cycle March 8th, then April 8th, and now...well...nothing. I don't get it!
The nurse at your dr.'s office sounds like a real treat.....good luck, I'm really rooting for you!!!
hcg in my blood was less than one. I do think it's official, I didn't ovulate and therefore, my cycle is just messed up.
Im sorry honey! I dont know whatsgoing on with me! I will call the OB on monday if I dont get a Clear BFP or AF...

I would call and ask for one more bloodtest to be sure and then ask for the pill that startsyour AF so you can continue to try!
We're going to wait until next week to see if I can start naturally. They said to take a hpt before I arrive and they will give me one too just to make sure there is no possible way I am pg. Although, it's looking pretty bleak at the moment. There's no way...I just wish af would get here or something.
HI I want to share my experience with BFN and evaporation lines.
I am now 8 weeks late for AF, I figured I had just skipped a period so waited till next one to test again. I have been testing like crazy these past couple of months. Anyway I have been testing with FRER and they say there is no evap lines with this brand.
I used FMU with each test. The first one came back with a very faint ghost like line but within the time frame. I kept it and thought it could be a BFP.
The next day I tested again and got the same thing.
So I waited 2 days and did another, again the same thing happened, except when I went back and hour later I noticed the Evap line was darker than the first two.
The next day I took another one, and again same thing, but when I went back an hour later the line was darker than the others.
You can see the line getting darker when I put the tests together. Except this is happening after the 10 minute time frame.
I'm going to wait a week before I test again. I'm really hoping I see a BFP straight away.
It's just driving me crazy because everywhere I look FRER say they DON'T have any trace of evap lines.
My lines are getting darker on each test, but only after the 10mins time frame... what's going on!!
Anyone going though the same thing?..
I have the same thing going on.... I am using the equate brand (that you buy in walmart) and everyone I have taken has had a faint blue line and I even had an hpt show positive last week and went to the doc and all they did was a pee test that came up negative. I don't like the frer they don't seem s to work for me. I will have to look to see if they are getting darker but they are definitely there!
Hi Nickieb85
I just rang the helpline for First Response HPT.. they told me that evaporation lines can show up after 10 mins.
GREAT!! Just what you need when your TTC.
My evaporation lines are pink and getting darker, so I took a Forelife early detection just now. There was nothing there. and no signs of evaporation lines, although it wasn't FMU.
I woke up this morning feeling really very sick. My stomach looks like I've eaten 10 big macs.
It has now been 8 weeks with no AF. I'm going to book an appointment with the Dr to see what they have to say.
Hopefully we will both be getting BFP very soon!

Hello. I am currently 10 weeks today if indeed i am pregnant. I have had all of the symptoms you can think of from dizziness,urinating frequently,headaches,awful heartburn,insomnia,appetite changes,nausea, 2 positive hpt 8 dpo one negative qualitive blood test and hpt at 15 dpo, positive hpt 16 dpo. 9 weeks negative hpt. Now my belly is bigger than it was 2 months ago! Im sooo confused! Any input is greatly appreciated!
Take a digital test .. Those sure wont lie ur give faint lines ...