Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Falling during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Falling during pregnancy

Ok guys how serious is falling when you are pregnant?  I took a pretty hard fall today.  I slid on the ice and landed on both my knees.  They are pretty bruised up and not much skin left on them.  I didn't hit my stomach though.  Any ideas?
i would go to the dr. how far along are you? any bleeding? just get checked to put your mind at ease
I am 12 weeks.  So far, no bleeding and my stomach doesn't hurt at all.  My darn knees sure hurt though.
i would for your own peice of mind get checked i bet if you call your dr they will check ya or do a u/s but i bet your fine if no pain or bleeding....
I fell back in late July or so when I was just a few weeks pg and I was OK and I landed on my knees also and then onto my side.  I did not have any problems however I did miscarry at the end of Sept but I do not think it was the fall.  I would check w/your Dr just to put your mind at ease but I read that your baby is very protected in the sac and the only thing that may hurt the baby is something that can be life threatening to you as well.  Hope this puts your mind at ease somewhat
I'm at 34 weeks and I fell last week, at the doctors office!!  I slipped on wet pavement and landed right on my elbow and my side.  I freaked out because I knew he was on that side since they had just given me a checkup, so I went to Labor and Delivery to let them know and they hooked me up to a monitor for a couple of hours and took some blood tests to make sure that my blood didnt mix with his (I guess that happens sometimes with bad falls or car accidents).  Anyway, all was fine, and I thought I smacked him pretty hard.  Scared the **** out of me, let me tell you!  Im sure if you landed on your knees and not your stomach your baby is fine, everyone kept telling me how well padded and protected that little baby is,  but for peace of mind you may want to just call your doc.
I am 12 weeks pg and last week I fell down the stairs.  I came on here asking the same thing about how it could affect the baby.  I fell on my butt, bruised myself pretty bad and dropped the table I was carrying on my stomach.  The doctor told me not to worry unless I started to spot/bleed.  My concern was wondering how soon I would see the bleeding.  So far though, none.  So I think everything is OK for me.  Since you only hit your knees, I think you are OK too.  It would be worse if you hit your stomach or your back. If you are still really worried, call your doctor...it can't hurt to call.
I don't know if it's my imagination or what, but my stomach is starting to feel kind of crampy like before AF.  It's not real bad though.  Think I am going to call the doctor though.  It was a pretty hard fall on the concrete.  Thanks for the advice everyone.
Damn, we are one clumsy bunch! I find myself tripping over my own feel a few times a day! Preggo people are DANGEROUS!... Jana
My sister was pregnant last year and fell on the ice right on her ass and had no problems whatsoever....remember, you can't shake a good egg!
i have been wondering about you... hows things with the testing and all that.. hope
I fell yesterday while going downstairs to place a dirty cup in the sink.  I was wearing a pair of socks when suddenly I slipped and falling on my butt while going down six steps.  My small back hurts but there are no bruises.  It hurts at times, but I still haven't seen the doctor.  My baby still moves frequently as usual, but I've been having headaches more than usual.  What should I do???
Well i have just went 14 weeks and had a pretty bad fall in which i took all skin off my elbow and both my knees. I too was scared about my little one but found everything to be fine (thank goodness). The worst bit was when people asked if i fell on my belly - i just couldn't remember. Doesn't matter know cause all is well. Hope it is for everyone else too!!!
I
yeah I just fell an hour ago at the dog park. I'm 22wks and I fell on my butt and hip. Don't worry i'm not going back to the dog park, but is the little one ok? i dont have lots of money so im trying to keep the doctor visits to a minimum. Is bleeding the only sign of something gone wrong. There's no bleeding thats just what everyone says to look for. I felt him move like normal a minute ago. after the fall i immdeiately had to go pee. Any 100% signs I should go to the dr?
I am 27 weeks and fell last week - the sent me to labor and delivery just so they could hook me up to the monitors for an hour and a half to make sure all was OK - which is was.  I would at least contact your doctor's office.
Falling is never a good thing to happen to a pregnant lady, but if it happens just know that you are more than likely going to be okay.  It all depends on how far along you are and where you fall.  I would say to wait it out, especially if there is no bleeding nor cramping.  Good luck to ALL of you!  Please stay on those feet:)  Take care...
hi everyone, i am 9 weeks pregnant and yesterday i fell outside on the ice. i fell on the back but i hit my elbow before hitting my back. i do have a bruise on my elbow my back seems fine but i am in panic. i am going to a doctors next week, but i am so worried
Hi everyone. Just wanted to say I'm 22 weeks and I fell today on the ice as well. I landed funny, kind of on my left knee then PLOP onto my butt. I called the Dr. just to check protocol. I am to call back or go to L&D if I have ANY cramping or spotting. So far everything's fine, I've felt him move several times since then. Hope this is helpful. Just remember to stay calm!
i keep falling during my pregnancy, yesterday was my 9th time, i was walking inside our den and next thing i know i slid on my sons toy car and when i landed i practically did the splits, my leg is killing me now, but im not concerned, my lil girl is moving just as much as she was before, i just wish my leg wasn't so sore, i walk around all day at work and lift 25-30 pound birds , a sore leg just makes it a pain in butt
i'm about 35 weeks pregnant and I tripped over one of my daughter's purses and fell on my knees. I didn't call my doctor thinking that I wasn't in pain...baby has been moving, and there was no bleeding or even bruising. Should i have still called the doctor? it's already 11:15pm and this happened around 5:00 pm.
I fell when I was Pregnant. Everything was ok though. I called the doctor and he told me unless I saw bleeding not to worry, said it happened to almost all pregnant women, sometime or another.  It was the day after i heard his heart beat for first time. He was ok, but to make you feel better call the doctor, but I am sure you are ok. By the way I fell down the steps
Hi all,

I am 35 weeks pregnant, and took a bad fall this morning.  I fell on my stomach or more less on my left side.  My back is killing me at this very moment.  Also, I remember when I was pregnant with my 11 yr old, that I fell down about 3-4 carpeted steps, and when I went to my prenatal care visit less than a week later, my doctor said that protein from my kidney leaked into my amnio-sac.  They had to induce my labor because this cause pre-eclampsia.  

I am not sure, or can't remember if this condition was due to the fall, and a ruptured kidney or if it was pre-existing before the fall.  Whatever the case I immediately called my doctor and am awaiting a return call with rather or not I should report to the emergency room.  

Lastly, I would advise anyone who is pregnant, and has taken a fall to at least call your doctor or advice nurse, just because you are not hurt does not mean you did not harm yourself.  
i am 23 weeks pg and i fell on the ice today face forward but i caught myself with my arms and hit the knees pretty hard. no bleeding or pain and my baby is moving and kicking as usual. should i still go to the doctors?
I did the same thing when I was about that far along. The doctor assured me that the baby is pretty well protected and insulated in your womb. It probably only felt a slight jostle. As long as the baby is still moving and kicking and you're not getting cramps or bleeding you and the baby should be fine.
hi.. i just want to ask a question.. what if some1 falls at like 2 meters high and hit the ground pretty hard.. on their butt... n bleeded afterwards... (1-2weeks preg) is this miscarriage?
I just fell getting out of bed and landed on my stomach and hands. A sharp pain shot through my body. And i threw up the food i just ate. I think I saw blood in the vomit but i'm not sure. I now have a bad headache. I am 11 weeks along and i'm kinda scared. What should i do?
i just fell in my bathroom, tripped over a cord for the hair straightener. landed on my hands and knees but my stomach didnt get touched. i'm 27 weeks long. will that hurt my little girl??? Should I still call my doctor or what??? I have a doctors appointment tomorrow... should i wait and talk to my doctor then or should i just go ahead and call???
- i fell on my butt today , my lower baq  feels sore & also i feel really uncomfortable when i walk & also when i walk i waddle like a lot & i have to walk very slow , i do feel pressure every now & then, im 37 weeks preqnant as of today ! what do i do  ???????????
I am 26 weeks pregnant with twins but when I was pregnant with my daughter I fell in the shower the night before I went to be induced. Everything was ok but  I had bruising on my back. When they put my epidural in they had a hard time because of it. Everyone takes a fall at some point in their pregnancy and the majority of the time you will be just fine.
I'm 17 weeks pregnant and just fainted onto concrete. :/
I've cut my left knee and hand pretty bad and my 7year old daughter said i landed on my left side..
I'm really scared and unsure of what to do as baby always sits to the left..
Any advice would be great x
Last night i fell down the stairs from the top to about half way and broke my 5th metatarsal in my right foot. I am 12 weeks 2 days. The hospital didn't scan me as i have my dating scan in 2 days. I didn't hit my stomach and have no bleeding or pain but still a bit anxious
I just had an employee who was 38 weeks along fall on a snowy deck and landed on her side, not her stomach.  She was achy the next day. The day after, the baby (who had been fine) was determined to be gone, and she is in the process now of being induced to get Mya out.  She only had 2 more weeks to go.

I'd say, any fall, if you hurt in any way, see your doctor.  It never hurts to be sure.  Also, I'd do a fetal kick count right away, and if it's less than 10 in 30 minutes, get yourself to the doctor.
Hi Iam 15 wks pregnant.I just got slipped on the floor ,fell down and sat on the floor.can u pls tell me whether it affects my baby??
When I was pregnant with my daughter I fell on my stomach and had to go for emergency c-section because my water broke and I didn't know it. I had no cramping or bleeding...very scary! When I was pregnant the 3rd time I slipped on ice while I was carrying my daughter (she landed on me and I lost the baby because of placenta abruption at 19 week). The baby was moving and I thought everything was fine until I started bleeding a week later. If you fall go to the Doctor!
My son hit me twice not too hard on my back.i felt nothing and tgere is no blood. Is everything ok with the pregnancy knowing i am few weeks pregnant.th
I fell through my moms front steps and landed hard enough on my left leg to cause bruising I am 5 months along now should I go to the hospital  or am I OK not to