Pregnancy 18-24 Community
First Appointment - High Risk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

First Appointment - High Risk

I had my first dr's appointment yesterday at 13 weeks. The heartbeat was somewhere around 130 on the doppler thingy. I found out yesterday that I am "high risk". I figured I would be due to the heart conditions I have, but I'm not sure how I feel about being high risk. It's nice because I get lots of appointments and ultrasounds but it's a little nerve racking to be high risk due to your heart.

I was also wondering if anyone else that was high risk remembers the progression of appointments - from one a month to once every two weeks to every week. What months they all occur in etc. And if anyone has been high risk from heart conditions did they do c-section or natural? I have my first high risk appointment next week along with another ultrasound and I just want to be as prepared as possible.
Thanks =D
I would say it depends on the practice, and how your baby is doing/growing. I am high risk, not b/c of heart problems, just my third section, and pregnancy induced hypertension. I see more than one dr. so I usually see some one 2-3 times a month right noe, I am 24 weeks. I have to go once a month to see a cardio specialist ( just for the hypertension, the also check cardio output) I see a perinatologist once a month and u/s every 3 weeks, due to the medication that I am on. Myu Ob will star seeing me twice a month starting Feb. but I will continue to see the cardio dr. one a month as long as all remains well.

It will all vary on your specific conditions.
Thanks. I have three heart conditions affecting 4 parts of my heart. Specifically I have mitral valve prolapse, unsustained ventricular tachycardia (affecting lower left chamber) and unsustained supraventricular tachycardia (affecting both upper chambers)  I am also on beta blockers to keep the tachycardia in check (lowers heart rate, blood pressure etc) I am supposed to see my cardiologist as well but he's an idiot and I've been on the waiting list for an appointment (for results of tests after I passed out) for over a year now so he's not much help.  My high risk doctor and cardiologist are the only doctors I need to see as of now. I live near a large city so the high risk unit has everything. Also the heart institute is in the same hospital as the high risk so it's really nice (if I ever get into the cardio again LoL)  

Any other insight would be much appreciated =D I don't know anyone else who went into a pregnancy with heart conditions such as mine.
Crysti,

I have Inappropriate sinus tachychardia.  I've had two catheter ablations to try to correct it (unsuccessfully) and had a pacemaker implanted 6 years ago, as the first ablation lowered my HR to 35 and put it into a junctional rhythm.  I'm not pregnant yet...still ttc, but my gyn has already said she's going to have me do a scheduled C-section to avoid any arrhythmias with my heart during labor.  I'm not sure if they'll classify me as high risk or not, but I'm thinking there's a good chance they will.  Keep me updated on how things go with your pregnancy, ok?  We dont' have the same condition, but they do have some similar symptoms...
I am high risk and see the doctor every 2 weeks. I have my entire pregnancy. My high risk isnt for a heart condition specifically, but i do develop trachycardia while pregnant.
I am high risk - multiple m/c, age and hypothyroid...  I go to the High Risk OB every 2 weeks.  So far so good - 17 weeks - little girl
My best friend was high risk for uncontrolled hyperthyroidism and High blood pressure. She was seen everytwo weeks for blood draws for her thyroid and got her blood pressure taking, she also had to take her BP 3x a day at home and had parameters when to call the dr. She had a vaginal birth and was on iv BP meds during the deliver.
I was never high risk; just wanted to tell you that I wish you the best of luck and that I'll keep you in my prayers. Congratulations!