Pregnancy 18-24 Community
First Pregnancy Worries

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

First Pregnancy Worries

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I were delighted when we found out we were expecting our first baby.  My last period was Nov 20th so theoretically that makes me 7 weeks and 6 days today, though I've always been a bit irregular so that isn't too set in stone.  My first appointment with the doctor isn't until Jan 22nd.  (And they won't make it sooner).

So here's my concern.  Starting at 6 weeks I began to have 'morning' sickness all day.  I was just really nauseous all the time, very sensitive to smells and the thought of meat, and always seemed to have this bad taste in my mouth that I couldn't get rid of.  Two nights ago it was really bad (I seem to be sicker in the evenings) so my husband took me to Olive Garden and I slowly nibbled on bread sticks and salad until I felt much better.  Then yesterday I felt pretty good... didn't feel sick very much at all.  Today I feel pretty good too... I even got out of bed quickly to see if that would make me dizzy like it has been, and felt fine.  I know it's early in the day yet but being as this is my first pregnancy... I'm really scared.  My breasts are still tender if I push on them, but not the way they were a week ago.

Could the lessening of symptoms mean I'm going to lose the baby??  Anyone else with more experience see an ebb and flow of pregnancy symptoms after they really started?  

Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks so much.
Hi!  How are you?  Congratulations on your pregnancy!  I know EXACTLY how you feel as this is my first pregnancy also.  But you should know, that although morning sickness is a good sign that everything is okay, the lack of it is not a sign that things wont go well with your baby.  I had "all day" morning sickness from week 6 until week 15 or so.  But there were a few days in there where I felt great!  Of course that worried me a lot!  And then a day or 2 later the morning sickness would come back with a fury!  Haha.  I pray that your baby makes a safe arrival to the world in 8 months or so!  =)  Try to relax and enjoy!
Thanks.. it's nice to know that some days you felt fine... maybe I'll be sick again tomorrow (Ha!  Who would have thought I'd want to be sick... when I am sick I hate it and now I feel good and I'm scared to death of it!)
I never really had any symptoms during the first trimester, and I'm 25 weeks now and everything is fine.  I almost Wanted morning sickness so that I would feel pregnant, but other than some bloating, I felt normal!  Symtoms (symptoms) come and go, (or just never come at all) so I wouldn't worry about it.
Consider yourself lucky if your nausea says "adios" and never returns for the rest of your pregnancy!

I think that spotting - and, in particular, heavy bleeding and/or cramping - would be much more worrisome.

Good luck - I hope everything continues on the right track :-)
Congrats on your pregnancy!
Morning sickness come and go. One day you can have it aaall day, next day only for an hour. That happened to me.
Like Limonada said, as long as you aren't bleeding, then you have nothing to worry about!
Thanks everyone... I'm nervous because I've read elsewhere that people will feel their symptoms go away and that's the first sign of a miscarriage, bleeding/cramping later.  I am hoping that this is just a good day and I'm ruining it by worrying about it.
I'm 22 weeks pregnant & I had the same thing happen to me.  On the days I was really sick, I was complaining about being sick.  Then I would have a few days of feeling great and boobs wouldn't be sore.  Then I would be crying that something was wrong.  My mom was like OK do you want to be sick or not!  lol.  My family was beginning to look at me like a crazy lady.  All a part of being pregnant!  Just try to relax and enjoy the fact that you are growing a little baby!
hey hun congratulations! and this is completely and perfectly normal. people that miscarried had a whole collection of other symptoms as well as they're symptoms going away. mine came and went constantly, sometimes i would be very sick to my stomach all day and then i wouldn't for the next few. its nothing at all to worry about...and after 8 weeks my symptoms completely went away and now im 21 weeks. good luck!!
i had something similar to thins happen to me. think of it as a blessing lol. some days are bettter then others. i got very lucky and lost almost all of my symtoms (symptoms) between 9-12 weeks. its completely normal. but if your still worried go ahead and call your doctor's office for some reassurance.
oh and congrats! keep us updated!
Symptoms will fluctuate as your hormones take dips and dives. Symptoms or lack of symptoms are not indicative of a healthy or doomed pregnancy. Enjoy each day as it comes!

I definitely understand your worry but unless you experience something more worrisome, like bleeding, I wouldn't give the symptoms (or lack thereof) a second thought.
Girl I know exactly how you feel. I am 30 weeks pregnant with my first, but in the beginning of my pregnancy I only got sick in the VERY beginning. I worried so much about not being sick anymore and actually WANTED to be sick. Not only that but EVERY little thing freaked me out, I found myself googling everything (which by the way I do NOT suggest, google makes everything seem WAY worse than it is.) It was not until my second trimester did I start to relax, and that is when I started enjoying my pregnancy. So my advice to you is to ENJOY not being sick, enjoy your pregnancy. I know that is so much easier said than done because I got the same advice and didn't take it. like I said easier said than done. Best of luck to you and your family!!!
This is so nice of everyone, thanks for the encouragement.  I will be sure to keep you updated... doctor on the 22nd.
Hi there
I know how you feel... I'm currently between 4 to 5 weeks with my second child. After 6 years of trying to conceive this is very scary... I been getting dry heaves , tenderness/soreness in my breasts.. But at this point.. Im scared.. I had miscarriage two years ago.. But it was a very early pregnancy. Normal women wouldn't even have known that there were pregnant.
But do to the fertility testing and monitoring EVERY move.. I know right down to the tea. With this one. We had a IUI fail in November. So the office was going to be closed over Xmas. So  I just did the med and not worried about the monitoring.
Well Last week I felt like I was having a nervous break down. I didn't know where my life was going.. I hated my job. Didn't have enough time with my daughter and school work. house work never got done. I felt sick...
SO I relized that something was wrong. I went a got a hpt and it was a BFP!!!...
Hang in there....
Contact me any time if you want to talk.. I work nights so I'm always on the pc.
Take care and happy baby growing...
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers