Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Flu Shot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Flu Shot

Ok ladies ... I never get a flu shot but my Dr is now telling me that I need to get it! I really don't want to but I don't want to take chances either. So how many of u ladies got it and how many didn't and were you ok without it????
I'M 12WKS 3 DAYS, AND I NEVER GOT ONE. BUT I ALSO DIDN'T HAVE MY DR TELL ME TO GET IT. COULD THERE BE A REASON YOUR DR SAID GET IT, OR IS IT JUST ROUTINE? HOW FAR ALONG ARE YOU? IF IT WAS SOLELY UP TO ME, I WOULDN'T GET IT, BUT IF MY DR SAID GET IT, I'D HAVE TO LISTEN.
I'm 15 wks & 7 days. He said its just recommend for winter pregnancy as "just in case". But I hardly get sick anyhow so I'm just a little confused. This is my first baby so I just want to make sure everything is good!!
I had the flu shot when pregnant.  It's safe unless you're allergic to eggs, and it was a wonderful, invulnerable feeling to be out at the grocery store during flu season and be around coughing, hacking people and know I couldn't get the flu.  
I've Never had the flu shot before. I am 11 weeks and I work with pre-schoolers so my dr highly suggested I get the shot. He assured me it was safe. They only give pregnant women mercury and preservative free shots. I got the shot.....
As long as you let them know you're pregnant, whoever's administering the shot will give u the preservative free version. Which is safe for us ! :)
I'm 20 weeks and have never gotten a flu shot but dr said if I wanted to I could but didn't have to. Said it was a good idea. I've never gotten the flu before so part of me is thinking why get the shot but knowing my luck, this would be the year I'd get it.
I got the shot a few weeks back (@20 weeks I think) and know it will protect me and my baby from the flu -- but not the common cold, which I have, AGAIN! Lol

They actually didn't have the mercury free version when I went but the amiunt is so small that it's akin to eating a can of tuna.

Good luck! I was nervous to get it but after my doctor explained the risks that getting serioulsy ill carried for both me and my baby I decided it was the best route to take.
I never get the flu but my doctor told me to get it last pregnancy when I was about 30 weeks and I did. I ended up getting the flu after the shot. Never got sick when I didn't get it so this pregnancy I'm 14 weeks and I'm not getting it.
I've never had a flu shot in my life even when I was pregnant.  My husband and school age kids get it but they are more exposed than I am since I stay home.  I've only had the flu once in my entire life when I was 8.  Its ur choice don't feel pressured if u don't want to get the shot.  Just use caution, wash ur hands, stay away from sick people, avoid crowded places during flu season etc.  Good luck.
i agree: don't let yourself be pressured. it is a personal decision. i have gone back and forth on this issue a lot (even when not pregnant) so just make the best decision you can for yourself.
Go figure! Now I have a stuffy/runny nose with a sore throat!  Hate common colds!
I got the flu shot about 2 weeks ago. I am currently 9 weeks and my doctor recommended it, but I get the flu often so it's just a protection. I hate being sick during pregnancy since the medication is so limited when pregnant. I recommend getting it. It won't do any harm if not allergic. Really, I think it's the best decision I've made so far during this pregnancy!!
This is to anyone thinking bout getting the Flu Shot...before you do PLEASE research Guillain Bare. There is no cure! I personally have it and it has turned into the chronic form CIDP...I have been hospitalized several times due to this and totally lost the ability to walk and use my hands. I will be on meds the rest of my life because of this. I would much rather have the flu! Anyone I love I beg them not to get the Flu Shot I have 4 kids and they will never get it!! Good luck to all of you!!!
I got the flu shot and I'm  4 weeks my doctor said it's completely safe as long as you get the one for pregnant women. The consequences for your baby are much greater if you actually get the flu.
I'm 14 weeks and I got one. I work in an office full of people and don't want to take the risk of getting sick. I never get sick anyways but it won't do any harm to get it just to be on the safe side.
Since your immune system is weaker while pregnant, and the effects of the flu can be so hard on your unborn baby, I think the flu vaccine is a very smart idea if you will be pregnant thru flu season. Not getting the shot is kind of like saying prenatal vitamins make me feel sick, so I'm not going to take them. Yes, you 'may' be fine without them, but why chance it?
I got the flu shot at my last doc appointment. Dr.stocks ask if I wanted one and I said yes. This is my first pregnancy and don't want to take any risks with getting sick.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers