Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Flu in first trimester

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Flu in first trimester

I had a nasty flu over the weekend. Sore throat, fever for about 18 hours and vomiting all night. I tried to keep the fever down with tylenol, but it really didn't do much for me. I didn't have a thermometer but when my fever broke I was sweating profusely so I'm worried that maybe it was pretty high. I know it's not good to have a fever in the first trimester and now I'm a little nervous. Has anyone else been sick like this in the first trimester? I'm 11 weeks 5 days, I'm so close to being in the second trimester, I'd hate for anything to go wrong now.
Also, for the past two weeks I've been waking up every day with a migrane (migraine) headache. It's made it really hard to concentrate on work and get anything done. Any suggestions?
high body temp can cause a number of things to go wrong..high body temp for a prolonged period of time.
that is why hot tubs, hot baths, tanning beds, and laptops on your belly are not recommended when you are pregnant.
the only thing i can tell you is u/s. that will tell you if something is wrong hopefully.
next time you have a fever like that call your doctor.
I had a very very bad cold (with a fever) for a week then when that started to go away exactly one week later I got the stomach flu (with a fever) where I was throwing up and felt like I got hit by a mac truck.  I mean I hurt from head to the tips of my toes.  I had diarrhea for about 5 days after that too.  You probably had a slight fever but I think you should be ok.  I had all this happen around 7 weeks or so and I have had ultrasounds and appointments and everything is fine.  I had a little spotting too around this time but it was from vomiting and the increased pressure inside when I would vomit.  When is your next appointment?  If you feel better calling in they can probably give you some reassurance but I think everything should be ok.  For the migraines it may just be from the hormones.  It could also be from stress.  I know you are in school right now and I just had my finals and was really stressed out.  I have been having some pretty nasty tension headaches from stress and from looking down and studying.  Try taking some Tylenol and you can use a heating pad around your neck.  I have one that drapes around.  It helps to relax the muscles and decrease headaches.  Also did you notice any visual changes lately?  You eyes can change with pregnancy so if you haven't had an eye exam it may be time to get one just to make sure that is not what is causing your headaches.  Sorry you had to go through all this I know how you feel.  Hope you are feeling better.
Thank you so much guys. I had my OB appointment on Wednesday and I got sick on Friday. On Wednesday everything was fine, but I think I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow. I probably should have called today. I'm hoping the fever was mild, it didn't feel like it reached 100 - I've had a fever that high as an adult and it was pretty debilitating.

Thanks for the advise for the headaches. I am in school right now trying to prepare for the largest test in my carrier and I've trying really hard to avoid having an anxiety attack. I also have a really bad astigmatism that has caused headaches in the past, so maybe I will try to get my eyes checked this week.