Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Full Moon & Barometric Pressure affect Labor...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

So I stumbled across this information last night when looking into whether it was true that more women went into labor during the evening/wee hours of the morning. I came across a few articles and blogs that mentioned more women going into labor during the full moon so I decided to find some scientific data to back it up. Whilst doing this I found that there appears to be a stronger correlation between the spontaneous onset of labor and a change in low barometric pressure than the full moon; though there still seems to be a correlation between labor occurring during a full moon according to many midwives and L&D nurses (it's just not as scientifically "proven").

Anyways, just for fun I looked up the full moon schedule for the month of September and guess when the next full moon is?! Today, Sept. 23! LOL I also looked up my local weather forecast for Des Moines, IA and there happens to be a "Low" front bringing in rain and thunderstorms tonight :-D

Since I happen to be 38 +6 weeks and having light but consistent contractions since Saturday and nearly 5cm dilated I figured it'd be fun to see if anything happens tonight. I hope to prove these theories correct!! LOL

Here are some of the sites if you are curious and want to read about it....I'm sure I'm not the only very pregnant woman ready to pop out a baby :)

http://childbirth.amuchbetterway.com/the-moons-effect-on-natural-childbirth/

http://www.springerlink.com/content/a515l113m5h52542/

http://www.birthsource.com/scripts/article.asp?articleid=409

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/laborbirth/l/blweather.htm
Aww i've always heard the "full moon" Or "new moon" from my grandmother.  AND we've even had results!!  My cousin who just recently had her baby, we were all making a bet of when she'd have her.  I looked at the calendar and saw that the next one was a new moon, Sept. 8th. SO that was my guess. Everyone else bobbed around different days and Denise(my cousin) was 2 days away from her due date.  Well guess what?? She went into labor on the day before the "new moon" and didn't have her baby until 8:05 the next night, NEW MOON NIGHT!  I think it's amazing. lol.

I know Denise was soo ready to have hers. She was even misreable. Kept walking and walking trying to start her labor. NOTHING was helping until finally I guess all that walking did the trick. lol.  Maybe and hopefully you'll have your baby soon.  :)
Yeah Ive heard the same thing. I know with my last daughter I had her 2 days bedore the full moon and most of the September mommys delivered around the new moon. Today is the full moon and October 7th is the new moon. On the October forum we've been debating all month if its true. I also heard that you usually deliver the same moon cycle you conceived so if you conceived the quarter moon youll deliver the quarter moon. Guess we'll all see!
Your due date is Oct. 9th? If you are still pregnant come Oct. 7th it'd be funny to see if you go into labor :)
See this is one of the reasons I dont want to get induced next week! Im curious to see if she'd be born around the new moon as well but DH has a meeting he has to be at October 6th and I dont want to risk him either missing the birth or leaving me at the hospital with a baby. Ill keep my fingers crossed you go into labor tonight!
So I'm pregnant again and just reminiscing :) It's fun to look back on these things, and the funniest part is that I DID end up having my son on Sept. 23rd the full moon! lol To think that when I was writing this post earlier that day I had no clue :/
I as just talking to some coworkers about this lol
When's the next one? I've had enough!!!
Amen!!
The next full moon for me is July 3rd, 4 days before my due date and the day after the midwives will cover me for a home delivery...fingers crossed!