Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Home remedies to induce labor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Home remedies to induce labor?

I am 38wks pregnant and I know my due date isn't here yet, but the dr says if he is born now he will be fine. So, I am looking for a few home remedies to try to go into labor. I am ready to meet my little guy. I have already tried the sex thing and Saturday night I tried drinking boiled comino seed water (very nasty!). Niether have worked. I wanted to try the casor oil, but read that it could be dangerous. I had never heard of the boiled comino seed water until my husbands aunt mentioned it. I'm just getting depresed and I know in the last part of the pregnancy everyone is miserable and wants it to be over. I hope someone out there can help and please only help w/ things you know have really worked.
i personaly dont believe in the remedies, i think best thing u can do is walk,walk and walk. as much as u can.. always done it for me i believe. good luck xx
OK now I believe in remidies and however they don't induce unless you are ready if you are they work in 48 hours or less! They will help yoru cervix and body orepare if they are not ready though. BUt you are far anough along I have not known them not to work at this stage. Evening primrose oil 1000mg of oil on your  cervix every 4 hours. You can buy capsles if that is all you can find and break them open. Also sex does work as it has prosiglandins in it and that along with when you orgasm produces oxitocin. Rubbing the top outer part of your little toe is  a pressure point that helps too. Niple stimulation. But you need to sit on a birthing ball or sit with your legs apart to bring th ebaby down to put pressure on your cervix. Walking does bring the baby down and keep pressure there. But the evening primrose oil works and is effective!!!!! The castor oil is not dangerous but is a laxitive and you just mix about a tablespoon in a juice glass or in your food and can repeat in an hour. Not to much or too much to drink with it in my experience. It is not dangerous and can only cause intestinal cramping and diareah but so does labor to get your body ready. But I repeat there ar no dangers to using it! There have not been studies on it in the US becasue it is so cheap and readily available but other countries ahve done studies and it is safe and effective.
the only thing that ever worked for me was hard sex tryed the other stuff just made me sick
Castor oil can (sometimes) cause the baby to pass a bowel movement whist in utero which can get into their lungs and cause breathing problems; this is why it is not recommended.
Raspberry leaf tea, walking and sex where the only things my midwife told me were safe to encourage your baby into the outside world! I know you must be getting tired now but hang in there and you will have your healthy baby in your arms soon. Good luck.
My last pregnancy I tried EVERYTHING possible that was 100% safe!!! But no matter how much you try unless your body and the baby is ready NOTHING will work!! But I know exactly what you are going through and the want to hold your baby NOW! Walking does work, another thing I tried and heard was effective is fresh pineapples in large amounts. I love pinneapple so I ate and ate them...but again nothing is really gonna work unless your body is ready. Good luck and keep us informed. I wish you an easy, safe delievery and a beautiful healthy baby!!!
I don't think anything works if your body isn't ready yet---but have read that sex is supposed to help soften the cervix. Also keep as active as you can--let gravity work for you to bring the baby down. Good Luck
lol I hope you dont start it by walking! Im almost 37 weeks and I walk everywhere, aaaall the time and I definitely dont want to start labor this early!

To the OP: try sex!
castor oil does not cause the baby to have a bowel movment. OB's have said that with no proof and there is no way to say that. Babies born later tend to have had a bowel movment in utero no mater what. IT has to do with the babies age and is not a bad thing unless the baby asperates it in. All babies have been breathing their secretions in for months. It is the sticky stuff that casues a problem and that usually happens when the mother has been given drugs for pain which slows the babies breathing and c-sections which that is very likey to happen as when the baby is passed through the birth canal things are pushed out of the babies lungs, that does nto happen with c-section! Just throwing that out there.
I am less than 4 days from my delivery date and beyond miserable. I have been walking every day in Kansas mind you in 100 degree weather to try and move my baby down the birth canal. My husband and I have sex 2-3 times a week and although I get incredibly crampy afterwards there has only been one time that I have actually started having contractions. But of course they went away. I have been in baths and done nipple stimulation. I've propped myself to the "left side position" to try and get the baby to go head first when I sleep. And I have read everything on getting this process going including being on your hands and knees and rocking her into position. I need this baby to come out because my body cant take much more. I'm 1 1/2 cm dialated and my cervix was thinned and ready to go. I went to the Dr on wed, he gave me less than a week for the baby to arrive. Today is Tuesday and she is still just as high as the day I went in. If she/he is not ready they will not come out. Don't get your hopes up because it does nothing but stress you out to wait it out