Pregnancy 18-24 Community
How can I tell if my water is leaking?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

How can I tell if my water is leaking?

I was told by my midwife to report to the birthing center if I have 4 of more contractions in one hour, allot of bleeding... not spotting,  if my water breaks, or if my water is leaking.  My question is... how do I know if its leaking?  

The reason that I ask is because , sorry its TMI...... I kept feeling wet down there last night.  ( I just assumed that it was CM.)  And when I got up to go pee I noticed a wet line in my panties.  It was just wet... not CM.  Could I be leaking?

Please tell me if this happened to you and what it looked and felt like.  Thanks, ANITA
Here's what they say..... If it's your water... go lay down for say an hr or 45mins.... When u get up does anything leak out? That's what they have always told me to do.
Ok...I'm due for a nap any way so I'm off to do that now.  Anita
Also, if you are ever unsure and have reason to suspect you may be leaking fluid, you can pop down to L&D or the doctors office have have them take a swap of the fluid to determine what it is.  Its a pretty simple and quick process.
The hospital that I have to go to is a hour away.  There is only one hospital near here that takes medicaid and has a labor and delivery floor.  And that hospital is in a bad area.  The other local hospitals don't even have a OBGYN there.  So... I try to be sure before going to the hospital.  

I took a nap and checked myself after i got up.  I could not tell.  So...  I'll check again tonight.  Anita
honey, when you're in labour, trust me you'll be sure, so try not to worry-you'll know when the time's right to go.
Not to sound gross but toward the end of all my pregnanys I tended to sweat alot down there, making me feel constantly wet, gross I know:) Hope its nothing, your little guy needs to cook a little longer:)
I would recommend that you call your midwife.  When I was pregnant with my son, my water started leaking and I was not even allowed to walk around (in the hospital).  I was told that if your water is leaking, you are at a higher risk of getting an infection and that you should be induced within 24 hours of the leaking.   Now, keep in mind that was 14 years ago so  maybe things have changed since then,  It would never hurt to call you dr.  Good luck.  Please keep us posted!!
I have not noticed any all day today... just last night.  Elijah has been moving so I know  hes ok.  He has not been as active as normal.  ( The past 3 days he has been VERY active.)  I had 2 contractions today.  I'm trying to hold out on going to the hospital because I will see the midwife Tuesday.  I'll keep every one posted though.  Anita
also fluid smells sweet. if thats any help.
when i was pregnant with my first daughter, i had an occasion where i thought i might be leaking fluid.  my midwife came by and she had these red litmus paper type strips.  When it turns blue when amniotic fluid touches it because the amnioic fluid is basic in nature. I think you can get these strips at the pharmacy or you can ask your midwife.  Then you can check if you aren't sure.
Since you said you have had a couple contractions and you haven't felt anymore leaks I think it is safe to say that your water did not break. Once your water breaks, more will come out with every contraction. You will know when it breaks, believe me.
Honestly there is no way until you get to the hosp or birthing center. They do a paper strip test to and there is a color dye that tells you if it's urine or amniotic fluid. Urine can be colorless and odorless. I wouldn't wait to get checked out. Best wishes to you and let me know what happens....

AP
I passed a little more of the mucus plus today.  It was clear before... but it was yellow today.  Who knows... maybe he will be here soon.  I have 29 days until my due date.  I'll keep you posted.  Anita
In our L&D class we were told to put on a pad, if it is fluid then you will soak the pad within an hour, but if it is pee you will just have 'squirts' every so often (as often as the baby kicks your bladder).  Also, like nutz said, fluid is more sweet, pee looks and smells like pee.  Which is another reason why wearing the pad will help you decide.  
I am 32 weeks Pregnant and I have been leaking a watery substance. I told my spouse about it and he said it shouldn't mean anything but, i still feel odd. I leak every day to the point where i put toilet paper in the lining of my underwear. Yesterday it was clear and it smelled sweat... Everyone says when your water breaks it could leak out or be one big flush.... how do i know if this is am-biotic fluid? Does it feel a certain way when your water breaks? where can i get those color strips and how much are they?
Please make a new post as this is a very old one and most people will ignore it.