Pregnancy 18-24 Community
How long does it take for a missed miscarriage to happen naturally?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I thought I was nine weeks pregnant today, but I had my first ultrasound and found out that the baby has no heartbeat.  The technician said that I looked more like six weeks than nine.  I was having irregular cycles for seven months prior to becoming pregnant, so I wasn't really sure how far along I was.  Still, if the baby was six weeks, I guess they should have been able to find a heartbeat had there been one.  I hate that I still feel pregnant, but I'm not too keen on having a D&C.  Can anyone tell me how much time passes before the natural miscarriage happens?  

This discussion is related to Possible Missed Miscarriage.
Tags: Pregnancy
Well sometimes even at 6 weeks, if the baby really is 6 weeks, it could be too ealry to see the heartbeat will they give you an u/s in 2 weeks?
can't tell how long it would take its diff for everyone but some ppl have to have a d&c but if you were only 6 wks it's very possible not to see a heart beat so i'd go get another u/s in about a week or two and go from there.
The same thing happen to me.  I chose to have a D&C because I didn't feel that I could emotionally handle having a natural miscarriage.  I would encourage you to make sure your doctor does HCG level checks to make sure that the levels are in fact going down so that there is no doubt that a miscarriage is going to happen.  I will say a prayer for you....I'm SO sorry.  
I'm so sorry this is happening to you.  I read the other night that most babies heartbeats aren't heard until 8-10 weeks along.  If the baby is only 6 weeks I wouldn't lose hope yet.  Get another u/s in 2 weeks and get your HCG levels checked.  I will be praying for both you and your baby!
Hi. First off, I am so sorry you are going through this. I have had 3 MC's in the last 13 months. My first ended at 5 weeks, the second at 6 weeks, and the  third one I was preggo w. twins, I had an US  around 6 weeks, no HBs, went back at 9 weeks and she said there was no HB's and looked to be measuring around 6-7 weeks. I MC'd about 4-5 days later.  i wouldve been 10 weeks.I did not want to do the DnC. I have to say the last one (10 wks) was the "easiest" physically. Hardly no bleeding at all. Any loss is hard emotionally,a nd I am sorry you have to go through it. Buthang on, like someone else said, get checked again and maybe it was too ealry. I wish you the best! Good luck hun!
Hello. Well I'm in the same boat here. Any update yet? I was given an u/s and told that my ges sac measured 5 weeks and got another u/s at 7 weeks. I was told that my ges sac did grow and it is where it should be but they only saw a ges sac and nothing else. No fetal pole, yolk sac, nothing. They told me it was not a viable pregnancy and to get a d&c as quickly as possible. I refused and got a second opinion and was told the same thing. Except this Dr said that there was blood around the placenta and I should be miscarrying soon. Well, it's been two weeks since and still nothing yet. No signs or symptoms of a miscarriage. I'm also curious as to how long it will take. Still have all my pregnancy symptoms. Actually, I just started getting nauseus right before the second u/s scan. Well, still clinging onto lost hope.
i had a missarriage this time last year on the 11 nov had a very small bleed i should have been 12 weeks pregnant i tock another pregnancy test that i had left over after getting my positive in sept to ease my mind it came up really dark positive stright away but the next day the 12 nov i had a scan it showed the baby had stoped growing at 5 weeks it tock till the following sunday the 18 nov for me to misscarr naturally at home sorry you are going through this but get a second opion before you do anything when i went through it i did not want a d&c i wanted to make sure the baby had really gone that is why i choe to let things happen naturly so in answer to you question it took about 8 weeks frome fhe baby stoped growing till i misscarried  you are in my thoughts i know how you fell it all seam so fresh it my now coming up to a year
I'm sorry you're having to go thru this very emotional time, but I know exactly how you feel.  I had a missed miscarriage back in January.  My baby should have been 13 weeks, but had stopped growing at 8.  It was devastating.  Just like you, I had still felt pregnant all that time ... I had started noticing some brown blood and went to the ER, where I found out I had a miscarriage.

I had a D&C scheduled, but after finding out about the miscarriage, my body seemed to finally "give-up" and I bled a lot.  I still went thru with the D&C even after my 'natural miscarriage' just to make sure there was nothing left in there that could cause infection or hurt my chances at my next baby developing normally.

After all that, I got pregnant 3 months later and I'm expecting our first child at the end of December.  So even after the tragedy of losing a baby, even as early as we have, just know that the next time can be completely different.

My thoughts are with you, and I hope everything works out.