Pregnancy 18-24 Community
How often do you get your blood drawn when pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I had to get blood drawn today and the lady from my doctors office couldn't get anything so they sent me to the hospital.  Well after 6 sticks (new record) they finally got some blood.  I was there for an hour and a half saw 5 different people and 4 of which tried.  They called for air life but they were out and so I went up to Peds and they finally got me.  I was told that I will have a hard time when I am pergnant because I have such little and deep vein that it will be a nightmare when having to give blood.  It stinks so bad!  How often do you get your blood drawn when you are pregnant?
Im 26 weeks preg and ive only had my blood drawn a couple of times back in the beggining and then I will have it drawn next week for my sugar test.  But I wouldnt worrie about it, its not like they draw it once a month or anything.
Well i've only had it done 3 times. First time at my booking in appointment, to test for STD's, iron, blood group etc... Second was for mt GTT test to check my sugar levels. And thirdly because my urine samples always have protein and high blood cell count.
Like you i'm also someone that is really hard to take blood from (it either clots really quick or they cant find a vein). Remember next time where they take blood from, that way they can take it from the same place.Theres only one place in my arms that they can take blood from. The only time they don't get blood from me now is when they don't listen.
Well if you've never had a miscarriage you'll probably just have the routine stuff, but I had alot of bloodwork done for the first 14 weeks just to see what was going on with the pregnancy
Yeah I think I got mine drawn probably 3 times, then once going into labor. The one for the first initial pregnancy confirmation (i'm assuming?) With my first appointment, then for STD's and such as nutz19 said, then for the glucose test. They took blood for something when I was in labor about to give birth, and put in an IV.
I'm only 10 weeks and I've had it done three times...first and second to check hcg was doubling and appropriate level...third time was for blood type, toxoplasmosis, std's and all that other stuff they check you for when you are preggo.  I've heard some people get blood drawn from the back of their hand (not the palm part) if they have bad veins in their arms.
I had it done once in the very beginning and again at around 22-24 weeks for the gestational diabetes test and to check for anemia....I'm 29+ weeks now and they haven't mentioned any more.
ive had it twice...prenatal and my sugar...are you pregnant
I had mine drawn like 4 or 5 times i think.. In the begining when I had my first ultrasound, to test my chromosomes, an AIDS draw, and my glucose draw, and I think I had one at my first prenatal appointment for all the toxoplasmosis and stuff too.. It depends on the pregnancy and what they are watching.  You will probably get it drawn about 3 or 4 times if everything is "normal"
nutz19~  Where they get my blood is never in the same place and I have so much scar tissue in my arms from all of my IVs and everything that it is very very difficult to find a vein.

CYW~ I'm not pregnant, but it just freaked me out when the lady told me its going to be hell when I'm pregnant...

I have had a miscarriage, so would that mean I have to get my blood drawn more?  I just hate it, it is so horrible every single time.
That really *****. Its not nice beeing poked and prodded with a needle, and some people hurt when they take blood. If you've had a m/c before it doesn't nessacery (sorry my spelling *****) mean you'll have lots more blood taken. I m/c in oct and still i only have had 3 taken so far. I think it depends on how well ur pregnancy is going, how your feeling, who's your doc etc... hugs

im 12 weeks an I have already had blood taken 4 times.  But I'm high risk though.
sorry the * say S ucks didn't realise they'd * them out.
it may not be so horrible being that your body's blod flow increases.. who knows...
I have horrible veins as well. It always takes them like 6 times to find my vein and when they do find it they have to use a butterfly needle. I might suggest asking for that next time you have to get your blood drawn.
I WAS BLOOD DRAWN LIKES 7 TIMEZ NOW CUZ I DONT GOT ME SOME REEL GOOD VEINS YALL KNOW
alaysha~  They always use a butterfly and when I have IV's I have had baby needles before.  For one of my surgeries they couldn't get an IV in before the surgery so the gased me to put me out and when I woke up I had 4 other sticks and they had even had to try my feet.  It's so bad!
Sweetcandygirl, I hate to be rude, but you really should learn how to spell correctly and use proper grammar. I noticed another comment of yours where you said your baby's father had other girlfriends and another baby on the way and you were okay with it.. I have to also comment here that I found that very disturbing.....

K1990, sorry you have such poor luck getting blood drawn!!! Maybe as another poster said, since blood volume increases during pregnancy, maybe it will get a little better, good luck.
How come everytime i go for a prenatal check up they take blood?
I'm wondering if when you get further along if they'll have an easier time taking blood. They've always had a hard time finding my veins too, but the extra blood flow created by baby means my veins are now easy to find.
Oh, I just noticed how old this initial post was lol. And jaynijel, it seems like just from talking with some of the other ladies on here that OBs are very different in their routines.
Three times do far. First appointment at 6wks to confirm, then at 12 wks for a bunch of stuff like std, they took three tubes. And again during my last appointment at 16wks to test for risk of dieseaes for the baby. It came back low risk so all is good. I had bruises the size of a dime everytime. Not sure how many more of my blood they will need...
y do u have to get your blood drrawn at the high risk doctor.....well the reson y i am is becuz i am on meds in i been have cramping but no blood
I did twice