Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Induction vs Natural Birth????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Induction vs Natural Birth????

Hey all

Im 26 weeks and suffering from pretty bad SPD. I see physio tomorrow and midwife next week and am tempted to ask to be induced at 37 BUT ive heard induction can be more painful than natural delivery???

Anyone had experiences of both and know if theres any truth in this????
my sil had 2 inductions and 1 natural she said the inductions were far worse i have never been induced but had my waters broken at 7 cm last time it was much sorer than the first time when they went them selves so if you can i say let nature take it course
Having an induction greatly increases the chances of having a caesarian. (how is that spelled?)

Braxton hicks soften your body up to be 'ripe'' for labour.

Also, your babies lungs will not be fully developed until 38 weeks. Even then, remember that dating can easily be off by a few days.

Do you want to risk your life or your babies health?

My first daughter came naturally and I labored all night before going to the hospital.  I was 5 cm when I arrived and had an epidural at 6 cm.  My second was induced and I couldn't get the epidural fast enough (I made it to 3 cm, LOL).  I don't know if the induction created harder contractions or I just remembered the pain of contractions and decided not to tough it out.  The jury's still out on that one.

My daughter is facing the same thoughts right now as she is 39w1d and up until now hasn't started dilating or effacing at all.  She is going to the doctor today, so hopefully she makes some progress.  Otherwise, I know she will ask about induction, but they probably will just tell her to come back in a week.
I have chronic Pubis Sympysis Disorder, it means i am facing the latter weeks of my pregnancy on crutches or in a wheelchair. I had an internal speculum examination last week which reduced me to tears. The doctor has noted it was "very dificult"

My legs are stiff im walking like a 90 year old woman and am having to wear support belts and take co-codamols which knock me out.

I wouldnt have considered induction unless it was necessary i just want to know if it will be beneficial.
i want to go natural my best friend had an induction and she said it was terribleeeee im sure labor in itself is painful but with the induction she said made it that much worse
hey my doc is inducing me ill be right at 38 weeks due to my kidney problems and he told me that if there is something wrong with the mother the baby can tell so its better to get the baby out then have it become distressed..  i have to have an amnio next week to see if the babies lungs have matured the doc told me most babies lungs are fully matured by 32 weeks but if not they can give you a shot to help the babys lungs mature..  ultimatatly I trust my ob he wouldnt induce me if he thought there would be problems best of luck!
just wanted to say the end of this pregnancy will be very hard you you and i tollaly understand why you would even think about induction im just saying that from what i have heard it will be much harder than naturally going into labour you docs wont do anything that will risk you baby you will have to weight up the pain of your spd which i cant begin to understand but have take to people who have had it and it by no means seames easy and the extra pain of an induction or pray you baby decides to come early naturally at 37 week
Sorry, I take it all back..

Induct away!

Sounds like the benefits outweigh the risks.
Im hoping so. She is measuring a week in advance and my doc thinks im 2 or 3 weeks further along than they first thought.

Atlantisea - I appreciate with babies born early there are risks but a girl i knew had her baby stuck in the birth canal and they had to physically push it back up and then do an emergency c section, the baby was in distress the entire time and suffered from lack of oxygen. I dont want to but pressure on my baby and have her in distress - this happened to my brother and went unnoticed and he has cerebral palsy and is epileptic because of it.
I have 3 children all of which were induced, so i know no other pain...however my mother has had both ways and says that natural is way easier, i don't see how because i at this point would rather be induced every time, JUST GET THE EPIDURAL!!
Actually at 32 weeks your babies lungs are mature enough to be born if need be.....but you baby would still be considered preemie til 38 weeks
My mom has had two natural one induction, she said the induction was so much easier (she went all natural, no epidural with all three)
I too was just diagnosed with SPD. I remember you and I had talked about it previously on a post and when I went to the doctor's the following week, it was confirmed. I am also wearing a support belt and understand the complete agony you are in just trying to walk a few steps. I feel as though my legs are being ripped in opposite directions as though I were a wish bone. Anyhow, I'm not sure about induction but I do know that my doctor told me that having SPD can make a vaginal birth almost impossible and that often times a c-section is done. The reason for this is because if you opt for the epidural during your vaginal birth with SPD, you may not know how hard you are straining during labor or how much additional damage you could be doing because the pain is masked by the epidural. After delivery, more damage can be done than there originally was because of the reasons I mentioned above. I'm not sure if you have talked to your doctor about this possibility but if they haven't mentioned it, I would bring it up at your next appointment. I am 33 weeks and my doctor is monitoring the pain and progression at each appointment and once I get closer, she plans on making a judgement call either way for vaginal or c-section.
I know a baby boy born recently who also suffered from loss of oxygen and distress and is now permanently mentally handicapped. They do not know to what extent yet, as he is still a tiny baby.

Anyway, what makes induction more painful and even more drawn out is Pitocin. It's a synthetic hormone to get labor started. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't! Your risk of c-section are higher with induction.
If your cervix has not changed they will not induce you as it will more than likely lead to c sections.  I personally really enjoyed my natural birth.  it was so much fun having the contractions come by surprise and timing them...  As far as the pain, every person I have heard from says inductions hurt more, however on the new show "deliver me" the doctor said that the uterus can only contract to a certain force and it will end up at the max no matter what, so it should not hurt any worse.  Good Luck.
I was induced twice and went natural twice.  I would not opt for induction again unless i had to.  It is more painful and stronger than natural.  I went all natural with the two, no pain meds or anything.  but with the two induced i needed pain meds.  Good Luck
I'm facing the same decision, except mine is elective.. [Well, so is yours but I mean mine is basically for no reason other than impatience.. lol.. So I'm thinking about just waiting it out.] Anyways, I'd be 39w2d and I believe that another reason inductions seem so intense is that there is really no time to get "on top" of the pain and be able to process it enough, if that makes sense. Because the contractions start and go one after the other almost immediately. Where as naturally, it would eventually lead up to that, anyway.. Soo... In a sense you're sort of just skipping right to the hard part, which seems to have a benefit, but it depends on your own preference and opinions. To me it seems like, well.. either deal with the smaller contractions leading up to the really painful and constant ones, or just get right to the intense stuff... Which even though you're getting right to the intense contractions, your body still has lots of work to do, and it lasts as long as regular labor (ideally. Every labor/pregnancy is different and lasts different lengths of time, of course!) so it seems like you'd be in the "worse" pain, for a longer amount of time.. If that makes sense?? I wonder if you can have an epidural BEFORE the induction, so as to maybe have the most pleasant (and hopefully quick, since the drugs are MAKING you progress) experience possible. So the "intensity" of the pain does not even matter.. I want to ask my doctor about that, too. Epidural.. give it time to take effect, THEN pitocin. lol
Well i saw my physio yesterday and due to last weeks bleeding she refused point blank to give me a boned support belt and suggested i discuss induction at 37 weekswith y midwife on thursday. Lookis like im just gonna have to deal with the pain and take my pills like a good lil girl til then.

13 weeks to go and it cant go any quicker lol
13 weeks 'til you are 37 weeks? sheesh. it does seem like forever huh? 13 weeks sounds like a long time, but trust me, it will probably (or hopefully) go by quick and when it gets here, you'll wonder where the time went. Are you going to use pain medication? That would be my suggestion. I don't understand these women who are all NATURAL BIRTH!!! why, when you can have it easier on yourself? (not to mention those caring for/supporting you lol)
No 13 weeks til im due, 10 weeks if im allowed to be induced.

Im taking co-codamol 8/500mg at the moment to help with the pain but it kinda knocks me out.

If im induced il be taking all the pain relief i can get!

No way am i putting up with agonising pain when i dont have to lol
Lol! Oh alright.
Well I wish you all the best luck [and least amount of pain :( ] possible until your 10.. or 13, weeks are up. Good luck!
Cheers - Hope you drop your little bundle soon :)
I as induced with all 3 of my children and don't know how natural labor is. I didn't get an epidural with any and it was painful. I hope they can do something for you to ease the pain and I hope everything goes well and you have a good delivery!