Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Is 9000 hcg to high for 5 weeks pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Its a long story but any input would be great! I got a negative preg test on a thursday. that sunday i got a positive. i went to the doctor tuesday and they saw nothing on ultrasound. my count was at 770. they told me to come back in a week. i came back the following week and my count was at 9000. they only saw a gestational sac but no yolk sac. the first doctor i had was nice and hopeful thinking it was too early. this last doctor i had was doom and gloom saying my count was too high and i should have seen a yolk sac. she wants to me to come back monday (which would be another week) to get another ultrasound. she said if we dont see anything that we will consider "options". I think i'm still early though. its only been a week and two days since i even got a positive! which just a few days before that i got a negative showing how new i was! do you think its still possible and theres time to see a yolk sac appear? i just dont feel ready to give up already. is 9000 too high though? i read that that can be bad too. any feedback would be awesome. thank you in advance!!
Well I know that in order to see something I believe your levels should be 3000-6000. Someone should clarify that for me, though, because I'm having a hard time finding my resource for that info.

Don't give up hope but do prepare yourself for what may or may not happen. Don't stress and just take things one day at a time!

At 5 weeks you probably won't see anything just yet. If you were to miscarry, let them know you'd like to naturally instead of getting a D&C or taking the pill.
thanks for your comment. yeah nothing really makes sense to me. Because if i'm 5 weeks, i think thats early to see something but 9000 seems high to NOT see anything. the only thing that keeps me hopeful is that last week i got an u/s and there was nothing at all. but this week there was a gestational sac. so hopefully a little while longer and there will be a yolk sac. the waiting is that hardest part. if it is going to miscarry i wish i just knew and started the process. i havent had any bleeding or anything yet though. so i guess thats good.
I'm really sorry you're going through this and I understand how you feel. I miscarried 5 days ago (am still bleeding, in fact) and I was in limbo like you. However my story is very different and I think there is tons of room for you to hope at this point. Just take it easy and I can't wait to hear an update that all is well!
Here is some info I gathered for you on americanpregnancy.org

Guideline of women's HCG levels during pregnancy:
3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
13 - 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
17 - 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
25 - 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml
Non-pregnant females: <5.0 mIU/ml
Postmenopausal females: <9.5 mIU/ml

I also read that high HCG levels during pregnancy can indicate
       *Miscalculation of pregnancy dating
       *Molar pregnancy
       *Multiple pregnancy

What are the symptoms of a molar pregnancy?
Vaginal spotting or bleeding
Nausea and vomiting
Develop rare complications like thyroid disease
Early preeclampsia (high blood pressure)
Increased hCG levels
No fetal movement or heart tone detected

I hope everything turns out well for you but just thought you may like to know what the possibilities are. And this way you'll be more informed in case you need to discuss any of this with your dr. Good luck and God Bless.

thanks for you comment. yeah, i dont have any signs of molar pregnancy.... doesnt mean some wont develop though. yeah i do seem a little high though. thanks for all the support and feedback. it helps a lot.

joyrenee-- i'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. that must be so hard! its looks like you have a beautiful child already. :) keep positive and we may be in the same boat soon, however, theres always a next time, right? :)
Remember, the numbers listed are only used as a guideline so I don't see 9,000 being completely out of the question for 5 weeks. I saw my baby for the first time at 6w6d and it looked like a little bean, my profile pic actually. And we didn't see a heart beat until 8 weeks. So there's definitely hope. I'll keep you in my prayers and hope you see your little one soon. The good thing is you've seen progress which is a good sign. Hope to hear good news soon!
At 5weeks3days my levels were 11000 and only a sac was seen and at 5w6d they were 32000 and we saw a yoke sac as well still no heartbeat but at 6w1d we finally saw a heartbeat. I only had one baby in there and she was super healthy. I know a whole lot of people who higher then average levels at this point in pregnancy and went on to have healthy pregnancies. Something to remember when thinking about levels is that the range for 5 weeks is 5weeks0days so every day after that can be higher and closer to the average range for 6weeks0days. I wouldn't stress too much at this point since levels can be SO different from person to person. What really matters is that they double in the 48-72 hour time frame. :)
thank you. yeah i need to stay positive. thats what my whole family is saying because it doesnt look too awful yet. i have good numbers and maybe its just growing slower and i'll see it in a week or so. just reading all your posts put some ease to my mind. i like hearing what other people have been through and their numbers. this cant be an exact science. i mean, you are making a human being! so there will be a lot of variables. i'll keep you posted. thanks!
Yes please keep us posted! I'd like to hear how everything turns out! I hope you have a happy, healthy 9 months! :)
My numbers were at 8395 at five weeks and was/am carrying twins we had an u/s right away and only saw gestational sacs with yolk sacs and had to wait a whole two weeks to come back and see heartbeats (longest TWW of my life). Now granted high numbers don't gaurntee multiples but since they saw a sac you have to remain hopeful - you could be one of those women with crazy high numbers and only one baby plus if there is any chance you ovulated later this cycle then technically you wouldn't be five weeks yet even and it would take longer to see the sac ect.., Don't give up and be firm about it and like Joy said if they start talking miscarriage let them know you want to give it time to go naturally and you can always ask for another u/s later on to be sure. Good luck to you!!!
I was 5 weeks and my count was 11678 and the doctor told me he couldn't see anything but only the sac. I just had my ultrasound done Monday and there was my little bean!!! Now I am 8weeks 4 days,so don't worry too much before time. I know the waiting game is terrible but worrying won't help you any either. =)

Are you sure you are 5 weeks from your last period...not the date of conception?

It is a little higher than the guidelines but not significantly higher...everyone is different.  

The gestational sac is often the first thing that most transvaginal ultrasounds can detect at about 5 weeks. Which you saw, so that is positive!  This is seen before a recognizable embryo can be seen. Within this week, at about week 5 ½ to the beginning of the 6th week, a yolk sac can be seen inside the gestational sac. The yolk sac will be the earliest source of nutrients for the developing fetus.  Perhaps it is too earlier to have seen the yolk sac?  Good luck!
Try not to worry about it too much! Take it one day at a time. I'm 5 weeks and at the end of my 4th week my HCG level was at 410 so I'm not really sure why they told you your levels were that high! That seems a tad bit high to me but also let them know how you are feeling about the whole situation.! Good luck!!
i believe that i am 5 weeks pregnant from conception. not from my last period. i'm not sure if thats worse or better. but i just going to have to wait it out. i had my u/s the tail end of my fourth week and thats when they saw they gestational sac. so i think within the next week is when the yoke sac usually forms. i think i'm just a little early. i have to wait until dec 8 for my next ultrasound, about 1 1/2 weeks, thats a long time but hopefully it will just give it more time to grow. :) and give me more info when i go in instead of them always being unhappy and making me worry more.
i just had my follow up appt today and it went great. they found the baby and its heart was beating beautifully. how amazing. this is my first so i am really excited. they put me at 7 weeks and due around july 26th. thanks for all your support.
See I told you not to worry about your levels being high! Congrats girl! :)
My first level was a 27, then the second time a 38. My nurse said I was 3-4 weeks. That would put me at 4-5 weeks today. I went for another blood test yesterday and my levels did go up and tripled to 91. The good thing is that it doubled but to have such low numbers scares me, not to mention cramping last night and a little spotting. My nurse said that is nothing to worry about. We were planning on a mis-carriage after the first to results, but after the third one tripling we have a little more hope. It's just so hard to stay positive when all you seem to be getting is bad news. Hope my tests are a lot higher tomorrow.

:)  Good luck to all of you and congrats!!
I am 5 weeks and 5 days, and they only saw a sac yesterday. I had a blood test done today and my blood counts went frm 4,000-9,000 in a week. The dr. told me maybe I will have an empty sac? I am freaking out! Help!