Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Is it Possible,getting pregnant who has a Mitral Valpe Prolapes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Im 25 years old wants to have a baby..but my problem is i have hormonal imbalance i went to my doctor in ob..she recomend me to take the Clomid, duphaston,metformin, folic acid, and iron..and my biggest problem i have mitral valve prolapse it is possible to getting pregnant in my situation? im so tired of taking this drug for almost 1 year but until now we dont have a baby..
sorry but what exactly is mitral valpe prolapes???
I'm confused.....What drug have you been taking?  The only way the Mitral Valve Prolapse would affect you would be if the fertility drugs are not safe to take with this condition......It would also depend on what your EF (ejection fraction) is.....
I posted this for those of you who do not know what mitral valve prolapse is SHALIM you answer is at the bottom

Treatment
Most people with mitral valve prolapse, particularly people without symptoms, don't require treatment.

If you develop symptoms, your doctor might prescribe certain medications to treat MVP-related chest pain, heart rhythm abnormalities or other complications. Some medications you might be prescribed include:

Beta blockers. These drugs help prevent irregular heartbeats. They work by blocking the effects of the hormone epinephrine, also known as adrenaline. As a result, the heart beats more slowly and with less force, thereby reducing blood pressure. Beta blockers also help blood vessels relax and open up to improve blood flow.
Aspirin. If you have mitral valve prolapse and have a history of strokes, your doctor might prescribe aspirin to reduce the risk of blood clots.
Prescription anticoagulants (blood thinners). These medications — warfarin (Coumadin) is commonly used — prevent your blood from clotting. If you have atrial fibrillation, a history of heart failure or a history of strokes, your doctor may suggest these drugs. They must be taken exactly as prescribed.
Surgical treatment for mitral valve prolapse
Though most people with mitral valve prolapse don't need surgery, your doctor may suggest surgery if you have severe mitral valve regurgitation with or without symptoms. The risk of severe mitral regurgitation is enlargement of your heart's main pumping chamber (the left ventricle). This can eventually weaken your heart, preventing it from effectively pumping blood. If regurgitation goes on too long your heart may be too weak for surgery.

If your doctor suggests surgery, there are two main options, repair or replacement of the mitral valve.

Valve repair. Mitral valve repair is a surgery to preserve your own valve. Your mitral valve consists of two triangular-shaped flaps of tissue called leaflets. The leaflets of the mitral valve connect to the heart muscle through a ring called the annulus. The surgeon can modify the original valve (valvuloplasty) to eliminate backward blood flow. Surgeons can repair the valve by reconnecting valve leaflets or by removing excess valve tissue so that the leaflets can close tightly. Sometimes repairing the valve includes tightening or replacing the ring around the valve (annulus). This is called an annuloplasty.
Valve replacement. Valve replacement is done when valve repair isn't possible. In valve replacement surgery, the damaged mitral valve is replaced by an artificial (prosthetic) valve. The two types of artificial valves are mechanical and tissue. Mechanical valves, which are made of metal, may last a long time. However, if you have a mechanical valve, you must use an anticoagulant medication, such as warfarin (Coumadin), for the rest of your life to prevent blood clots from forming on the valve. If a blood clot forms on the valve and breaks free, it could travel to your brain and cause a stroke. Tissue valves are made from biologic tissue such as a pig's heart valve. These kinds of valves are called bioprostheses. They may wear out over time and need replacement. However, an advantage of the tissue valve is that you don't have to use long-term anticoagulant medication.
Current guidelines from the American Heart Association indicate repairing, rather than replacing, your mitral valve is usually the best option for most people with MVP who need surgery. The success of mitral valve repair depends on the expertise of the surgeon. Valve repair or replacement operations are best done by surgeons experienced in doing them.

Mitral valve repair or replacement requires open heart surgery, done under general anesthesia. Through an incision, usually through your breastbone (sternum), your heart is exposed and connected to a heart-lung machine that assumes your breathing and blood circulation functions during the procedure. Your surgeon then replaces or repairs the valve. After the operation, you'll spend one or more days in an intensive care unit, where your heart function and general recovery are closely monitored. Less invasive ways of repairing or replacing the mitral valve are also being studied, but these procedures aren't widely available yet.

Depending on your age and risk factors for coronary artery disease, your doctor may recommend cardiac catheterization and coronary angiograms before surgery. During a cardiac catheterization, a long, thin, flexible plastic tube (catheter) is inserted into your body. Dye is injected into the blood vessels of your heart. The dye is visible by X-ray machine. The machine rapidly takes a series of X-ray images (angiograms), offering a detailed look at your heart arteries to determine if you need coronary artery bypass at the same time as your valve surgery. Pressures in the heart's chambers may be measured, particularly if there is any concern about high blood pressure in the lung arteries (pulmonary hypertension) that might influence the decision to proceed with surgery.

Antibiotics seldom recommended
Doctors used to recommend that some people with mitral valve prolapse take antibiotics before certain dental or medical procedures to prevent endocarditis, but not anymore. In 2007, the American Heart Association issued new guidelines saying, in part, antibiotics are no longer necessary in most cases for someone with mitral valve regurgitation or mitral valve prolapse.

This doesn't mean it's not important to take good care of your teeth through brushing and flossing. There is some concern that infections in your mouth from poor oral hygiene might increase the risk of germs entering your bloodstream. In addition to brushing and flossing, regular dental exams — at least yearly — are an important part of maintaining good oral health.

Still, if you've been told to take antibiotics before any procedures in the past, check with your doctor to see how these new recommendations apply to you.

Precautions during pregnancy
If you're pregnant and have mitral valve prolapse, your chances of a successful, uncomplicated pregnancy are good. Even so, doctors sometimes recommend antibiotics during childbirth if there's a risk of an infection that could affect the mitral valve.

They're gonna want to watch you closely and you may be considered high risk. ( I saw something about a pregnant woman with a mvp on Discovery health)
I also have MVP and when I wanted to get pregnant, my doctor put me on a different medication that worked better with pregnancies.  When I delivered, they ran a bag of antibiotics through my IV, just as a precaution.

Hopefully, this shouldn't interfere too much with your other medications too....