Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Itchy hands and feet!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Itchy hands and feet!!

The title pretty much says it all...starting about three days ago the tops of my feet started itching SO bad...i mean like really bad and then the next day the tops of my hands started. It itches only on the tops and between my toes and fingers...ive read about the soles of your feet and the palms of your hands becoming splotchy red and itchy while pregnant but mine are strictly the tops. I dont have a rash of hives or anything...the only bumps and cuts on them are from me scratching so much. I initially thought it must be from my feet and hands swelling due to all my water retention...but ive been having issues with the water retention for quite sometime and this itchiness just appeared out of nowhere...it gets so itchy that it wakes me from sleep! DF asked me last night if i was gonna itch my feet right off lol (he was getting annoyed with me scratching). i tried plain lotion and that didnt do a single thing...the only thing that makes it feel better for a little while is ice packs. It itches sooo much and burns from the scratching! im gonna go insane!

Seriously....what next? I'm so frustrated...cant i just have one moment of peace? just one week without an issue?
So, what do u think ladies do i need to call in on a weekend again or have you heard of this? any ideas for relief? hopefully this isnt another sign of a serious problem that i didnt know about lol (maybe Spade knows!) this doesnt have anything to do with preeclampsia progressing does it?
I am going to sound like a broken record ;-)

Put a call into your doctor to let them know.

There are several causes of itchy/hands during pregnancy and yes, it CAN actually be a symptom of pre-eclampsia especially in conjunction w/ edema (swelling/water retention).

I havent been on MH for a few days so havent followed any of your updates.  What were the results of your 24h urine collection?  Is your doctor still concerned about you developing PE?  Are you set up for an induction?

Because of all the problems you have been having and the fact you appear to be on the verge of developing PE (based on what you have said previously) its important that you let your doctor know of any unusual symptoms you develop.  
lol i had a feeling this was gonna be the case (something in the back of my mind was telling me that this bad of a case of the itchies cant be normal).

What happened at my previous doctors appointment on thursday was the OB took me off of bedrest because my blood pressure was looking good and my pee looked fine...blood tests were good...NST was good and i told her i really really didnt want to be on bedrest anymore because i didnt understand if i was too close to developing pre e then why on earth would we keep my baby inside a ticking time bomb? But, since my vitals looked much better she agreed to let me off of bedrest under the conditions of...if i came back on Monday (day after tomorrow) and my blood pressure was back up then we would just go ahead and induce....but it seems like my mild case of preeclampsia has been handling itself fairly well and the bed rest seemed to have made my blood pressure drop back down to normal....so i was just waiting around for monday to get here...going shopping and finishing my nursery when this came out of nowhere weds night and has been progressively getting worse.

sorry if that was jumbled im pretty tired lol
Well thats great that things had stabilized at your last appointment.  You should still call your doctor/nurse just to let them know what is going on - they can decide if your symptoms warrant a trip to L&D to make sure nothing has changed.  As you know, preeclampsia can come on very suddenly (or a mild case can progress very quickly) so its best to be very vigilant and let your doctor know about any new symptoms that you develop.