Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Job interview while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Job interview while pregnant

I have a job interview tomorrow at 3pm. I'm very nervous because I have a baby bump and I don't want to loose out on this opportunity because I'm pregnant. I know it's against the law to not hire me for that reason but they can always make up another reason. I know it's an issue of money and time spent into training me and then for me to take three months off after just 3 months a lot of businesses just don't feel it's in there best interest to do that.

What are your thoughts anyone have any experience with getting a new job while having a baby bump?
This is a good question. I’m going through that myself. I recently had an interview and am hoping the manager didn’t notice my bump.  I’m extremely proud of being pregnant and can’t wait to show even more. But when it comes to job interviews while pregnant, things change, and are usually tough on us.

I keep thinking the same thing. Why would they hire me when I’ll be leaving soon and someone else will end up doing my work any ways?

It’d be interesting to hear stories about this…..
Good luck hon :-)
Like PrettyKitty1 said, that's a tough one.  I think if I were in your shoes I would wear something looser that doesn't exactly accentuate your bump but doesn't really hide it either.  If it's brought up in the interview, obviously be honest, but if not I'd let it go.  Then if you are offered the job, be up front.  That way you know that if they renig on the offer it's becuase of you being pregnant and you could file a complaint if you so choose.  But this way you get your foot in the door so to speak but you are honest with them prior to actually being hired.  Does that make sense?
I know how you feel. There are promotions all around me and I havent even gone for any. I just dont want to like scew them over since my leave is 6 months and I probably wont even come back full time. You're right it is illegal and you do not have to tell them, but they can not hire you for "other reasons". Always worth a shot though, good luck.
Wear something that makes your belly less noticeable (if possible, an interviewing suit might "hide" a little or medium bump).  Don't bring up the fact that your pregnant, and don't ask any questions about health insurance, etc (those should be saved until AFTER a job offer).  Try not to give any hit to being pregnant, you want to make sure you get the best possible opportunity.

I was looking into that because I was thinking I was going to need to interview for a new job (but lucky I don't need to anymore) so I looked into all that stuff.  Once they give you the offer letter, then you might want to bring up when your due date is and make sure you re-assure them that you will be going back to work after the 6-8 weeks (or what ever you do where you live).  

My dad told me that hiring a young female always has the risk of them going on maternity leave, so in a since they kinda know that there is a risk of that when they even interview someone of child baring age.

Also, if the issues does come up and they are concerned about how it would work, you can always see if they wanted you to start working after your leave, or if you would be able to do a little work from home (not ideal, but sometimes it happens).

Good luck!
I nailed the interview! She's bringing me back next week for a second interview. She didn't notice the bump and I didn't say anything. Benifits start after 6 months so I wouldn't even be there long enough to qualify. It's a phone sales job so I will be making comission on top of base pay.
YAY! Glad it's working out for ya!!
AWESOME!  Just remember that when you are offered the job (hopefully it will be in writing) you make mention of your due date.  You could always say something like "I know the benefits start after 6 months.  Is that calculated from your start date?  Would my maternity leave be counted as part of that 6 months?"  and when she says something like "oh you're pregnant?"  You can say something like "OH!! I thought it was obvious" LOL
Good Job on doing so well on your interview..I know im waiting on my certification and it's taking so long im afriad that when it does come up and I have an interview I'll be ready to drop my load! I dont know but I think it's best to wait until after the baby is here and you have sufficient daycare while you work.
Congrats! I was in the same situation but only 2months preg. I had three interviews and after that I told them I wanted to be honest with them and that I was pregnant. I felt if I waited there might be tension and I wouldn't want that stress. Of course I was denied and she even said it was because I was pregnant. it ***** that they do this to women. I could have kept it a secret and they would have never known. Luckily I had another offer on the table elsewhere and they knew I was pregnant and were fine with it and happy for me, but probably because the hiring manager had just had a baby herself so she understood. It's a tough situation.