Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Left work early AGAIN today due to strong Braxton Hicks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I've posted about this before, so please bear with me. I'm 22 weeks pregnant and have  been getting more and more pressure and stronger Braxton Hicks lately. A lot of this can be considered 'normal', but my midwife still wants me to rest when I get them. Her instructions are I should lie down and rest, have a drink and then go back to work. If they come back I am to go home and rest. This is what happened today. Even just going to the washroom triggered a contraction.

People say I need to relax and that stress adds to it but it's sooooo hard to relax, especially when I'm missing work. I know my baby is the most important thing but I also know my work will likely become an issue. I don't have sick leave although I could appeal to their consciences (unlikely) so I'm feeling kinda worried and upset about this. I am NOT looking to go on sick leave but rather want to find strategies to deal with this. And while I know braxton hicks can be normal, I also know that it could be the beginning of other problems like preterm labour, which I want to avoid at all costs!!!

Does anyone have experience with braxton hicks or premature labour that they could share?
I had bad ones my first one and they told me to go to the er for them to monitor me. come to find out they had to put me on magnesium to slow them down. I hope you don't have to go through that.
Hi Ashleyfife, do you mind me asking if you had any other symptoms that led them to tell you to go to the ER?

I actually did go to the ER today but left when they directed me to a hospital with a maternity ward, saying they could do nothing for me without an OB. By the time I got to the other hospital by cab the contractions had slowed and I decided to go home and rest (live closeby). I am worried though that they keep on coming back when I walk around but not sure if they can do much to help me. If I have them tomorrow I'm thinking I will go back.
the only thing was I was throwing up. they had told me to go if they got really bad and constantly having them.  it got so bad the front desk knows me by name now. I'm sorry that they said they couldn't do anything for you. I kbow when they had to put me on the magnesium they transfered me upstairs to the women and children's section. I hope everything works out for you! id just go when you have them really bad as you've said in your post. I would drink some water and just try to relax. good luck.
Thanks Ashley. My midwives say if they don't go away with rest that I should go back to the hospital. I am taking today to rest -- it really scared me. I was also having stomach pains last night while resting BUT was comforted by the fact that I could feel the baby moving and kicking. I am also sick with a cold right now and wonder if the fatigue could have triggered them.
You have to be careful. They could be braxton hicks or who knows...  I did get a contraction everytime i went to the bathroom for a while.. it was annoying.. Like you my Bh started early, started coming daily around 20 weeks.. This continued all the way to 27- 28 weeks.. they didnt come regular though... so i never thought much about them.. sometimes they would start to come closer together but then would stop ..

At 31 weeks, I woke up with two very painful contractions.. and ended up getting seen even though it was only 2 becaus the nurse told me.. Sure enough, my cervix was very short for the stage... This led to a 9 day hospital stay for observation.. after 9 days tehre was no change...  I didnt end up giving birth early or anything in the end but clearly i had some painless contractions over time that did create some change so if they start back up, it might be worth getting seen
Thanks PetiteWonder. Thank god I haven't had any contractions today -- yesterday was a not a good day, and things just did not feel "right".

I am going to be careful and do what the midwives suggested and rest whenever they strike, regardless of what I'm doing: my baby is more important that anything else. What scares me is exactly what you spoke of happening to you: I've heard women can have innocuous contractions and start to dilate and efface prematurely without even realizing it.

I read yesterday that when you are having braxton hicks you should take a daily break midday to put your feet up and rest. Am thinking I will start to take breaks to lie down regularly during my lunch.

Thanks for the feedback -- really appreciate.