Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Listeriosis during second trimester
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Listeriosis during second trimester

I am currently 18 weeks pregnant, and this is my first.  At around 14-15 weeks, I developed some serious stomach issues, and they came on very quickly.  I suddenly developed very bad pains in my stomach, followed by very light colored bowel movements, with traces of red.  Then it turned into diarrhea which lasted a full day, and then came back a few times in the next few weeks, after I would eat something. I also started running a low-grade fever of 99-100.3.  I saw my OB, who did not seem concerned (she heard the heartbeat that day, and then again a week ago) but told me to see the GI doctor.  It took over a week to get an appt, and when I finally saw her, her only suggestion was that it was viral.  These symptoms have come and gone, along with the off-and-on low grade fever.  I am better now, but still have the occasional flare up.  Anyway, I was talking to someone today who said they were surprised that I wasn't tested for listeriosis.  I hadn't even thought of this- I'm sure I ate something I wasn't supposed to prior to knowing I was pregnant, and I also eat a lot of raw (washed) fruits & veggies-  and it seems like almost anything can be unsafe!!   I am now concerned, but I am getting blown off by my doctors because I am feeling better.  I am wondering-  if it was, in fact, a listeria infection, is it possible for me to clear the infection, but my baby still be in danger? Would the baby continue to be infected, even if I am no longer symptomatic?  I haven't had an ultrasound since I have been sick, only 2 check-ups with strong heartbeats.  Should I insist on getting a blood test for listeria, just to be safe?