Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Lovenox to prevent miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Lovenox to prevent miscarriage?

I have had 3 last 1st/early 2nd trimester miscarriages after the relatively uncomplicated birth of my daughter.  They ended at 15, 13, and 13 weeks.  In all cases, the baby looked great at the 12 week scan, measuring right for dates and looked just fine.  I have ahd a whole host of testing done - everything you can think of!  The only thing that came back was being compound heterozygous for MTHFR mutations, but with normal homocysteine levels.  Other than that, nothing else.  My last pregnancy I took extra folic acid, B vitamins, and baby aspirin for good emasure.  Now I have gotten a surprise BFP and my doc is talking about Lovenox (low dose).  Maternal fetal medicine says NO WAY its too risky without having a diagnosed blood clotting disorder, but my OB and RE are willing to put me on it.  I'm concerned about the risks (to myself, I know it won't affect the baby).  Is it all that risky?  Could it help in my situation?  I dont know what else to do but really want to have more kids!
I was put on baby asprin,for a blood clotting disorder,i havent been diagnosed with this,however after 7 losses,this was the first thing they did,as well as putting me on progesterone.there is alot of evidence to say this does help prevent mc.we also had all the testing done with no problems,except in my case a blocked tube.lovenox is not expected to be harmful to a baby and is in category b drug.ask if they can give you the basic dose of baby aspirn,which i believe is 81mg.im now 36 weeks pregnant no problems at all.im sure all be good.
im currently taking heparin...i had a choice of lovenox or heparin and chose heparin...i was diagnosed with factor v leiden which is a blood clotting disease...preg increases my risk of DVT's big time so my doc took no chances...both lovenox and heparin will not harm the baby or the doc wouldnt subscribe it to preg women who have blood clotting issues such as myself...

i have a friend who i believe had MTHFR and all she did was take baby aspirin....if you do not feel comfortable with what your doc always seek a second opinion...sometimes its that second opinion that will help comfort you

best of luck to you
With my last son I took lovenox for blood clots that I had with my first son (m/c in between) and then I was switched to heparin in the last 10 weeks. I am not sure if they are going to have to take it this pregnancy but it didn't hurt to take it. Better to be safe!
with MTHFR compound heterozygous (what you have) you NEED to be on Lovenox to prevent miscarriages during pregnancy-

Lovenox is ABSOLUTELY safe in pregnancy (you can go to the drug's website and almost ALL reprutable OB/repoendo and perinatologist's websites- incluing NIH (national institute of medicine) also had information pertaining to this-
Lovenox is too large to cross the placenta barrier -

furthermore I'd be VERY concerned you MFM doesn't know this- MTHFR is extremely common cause of miscarriage and is the standard of care for testing after 2MC -

also, you need to be following a perinatologist during your pregnancies

Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers