Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Low Anterior Placenta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Low Anterior Placenta

Hey everyone, I just went for my 20 week scan, Bub is a little boy and strrong and kickibng, but thwe doc told me that I have a low lying anterior Placenta. I have no idea what this means (well some but not clearly) and was just wondering if anyone out there has some experience with this, will if cause any issues for me or the bub, should i be concerned or restrict exersise and sexual activity??? Also will it affect delivery. The Doc told me not to worry and that he will recheck the position at 36 weeks, but of course I am immediatly imaginging the worst.

I also wonder from the little I have found out about this if this could be the cause of the sharp pains I get sometimes when I need to go No. 2s. (sorry if thats a little too much info). It almostr feels like a period pain but is immediately stopped by going to the loo.

in advance thanks for help and advice offered
XXX
Firstly, congrats on team blue! You dont need to worry just yet! The placenta position will have no effect on the baby however it will affect the birth.

What it basically means is that the placenta is covering the cervix. If the placenta doesnt move you will have to have a c-section as the placenta will be blocking the baby'e exit! Sorry for the scary sounding stuff there! But try not to worry because in most people it moves out the way anyway.  

ask your midwife at your next appointment if you should do some positions for a breach baby to try and move it.  To turn a breach baby you basically have to keep your bum in the air higher than your head.  You can either lean over the arm of a chair or go on all fours on the floor then drop down on your elbows so your bum is sticking in the air. Not the most flattering of positions but it may help! You can use pillows to support your bump too.  I dont want to say this will definitely move the placenta but it may help. Talk to your midwife first though.

x
I had a low lying placenta. It's nothing to concern yourself about. It's not necessarily covering the opening but instead of forming at the top of the uterus it forms at the bottom. Mine was diagnosed at 20 weeks and by the time I had my 24 week scan it had moved up a bit with the baby. In most women as the baby grows it moves up. Only like .5% of women never experience a change in position.

Some women will experience bright red, painless bleeding with this (I never did) and it can be triggered by coughing or sexual activity. I was never put on any restrictions, but you can ask your doctor if they want you to take it easy as all. Congrats, and good luck with your pregnancy! Try not to stress out, everything will be fine.
Thanks guys am trying not to worry things are already weighing against a natural birth for me so the idea of a c-section not too much of a shock. Just wondering if it means I ll feel the bub kicking at later stage too ??? Ahhh it's all so scary whole being so amazing at the same time what an emotional roller coaster
Xxx
I felt my baby kick at 17 weeks and felt much stronger kicks around 20 weeks. My husband could feel and see them at 20 weeks as well. All women will feel them at different stages.

Because your placenta is in the front though, your kicks will be muffled and it will probably be much later that you feel yours. Think of it like a pillow in front of the baby. They might feel really light when you do feel them and could stay that way for awhile. Don't let it concern you. What's weighing against your abilities for a natural birth? (If you don't mind my asking)
I'm a little sad about not feeling t6he kicks yet but everyone has said the same that i may not feel them till 24-26 weeks due to the cushioning effect... im hanging out for them though really cant wait.

As to the natural birth I am built very small (5ft tall and usually weigning around 47 kilos) I know this in itself doesnt mean anything but both mine and my husbands family are prone to very large babies and despite having tried for natural births have ended up being rushed in for emergancy ceasers at some point in the labour, I know every woman is different and i am praying that i can have a natural birth as I have always wanted one but it is very much a guesssing game at this point i think im just not letting myself hope because that way if it happens that i can have one itll be great but if not its just something i already anticipated iof that make s any sense
xxx
What was your weight at birth. Generally baby will be similar to the mothers birth weight. My baby came out exactly my weight which was 6 pounds 12 ounces. I'm also small--5'2, 100 pounds and after a slightly long labour (I pushed for an hour and 30 minutes) was able to vaginally birth mine. The important thing is that you wait for an epidural and avoid as many interventions as possible. It also helps during birth to get into positions that help to open the cervix up wider. Use and abuse all the resources you can find. Good luck!
Very importantly if you have to have a c section don't feel guilty! I know it can make you feel bad to not do it "as nature intended it" (words of one midwife)... But the critical thing is that you take the safest path for you and your baby boy. Having a natural birth with a bub that is too big is risky and if not damaging at the time, may result in the need for massive repair work down the track. Trust your instinct and your dr. Good luck!
thanks guys, i jsut waiting and watching for now, I ill definatly trust my doc with the final desesion but will be asking my midwife for all tricks and tecnigques at my next birthing class. As long as this little one is healthy and happy then i will be happy. im not sure what weight i was will have to go and find out but i seem to remember my mum saying i was premmie so i was poss underweight.
Thanks for the support guys, xxx