Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Low Platelet Count in pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Low Platelet Count in pregnancy

I am 30 weeks pregnant. In the last pregnancy (2007), I had still birth at 34 weeks due to IUGR.

During the present pregnancy, my doctor has recommended aspirin and Low Molecular Weight Heparin (like Clexane) for the entire pregnancy period. I am regularly taking these both medicines. Regularly undergoing Ultrasound regular scan and Doppler scan. Till now the growth of fetus is good and is better than the last pregnancy.

But my platelet count is coming down, now its around 160,000. I have heard, usually during pregnancy platelet count comes down. I am worried whether this is just incidental one or is it because of the medicines i am taking. My doctor tells, it shouldn't come down less than 150,000.

I am very much worried, whether the IUGR is going to repeat again. Pls give your opinions / advice / comments

shyla

I worked in a coagulation lab and studied pathology so I can give you some advice. Some people, when taking low molecular weight heparin, develop something called Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia (HIT).

I would talk to your Doctor again. Make sure that your platelet count isn't too low (he/she will be monitoring it anyway as you're on heparin). When your count is too low, then you're at a risk of venous or arterial thrombosis (blood clots in the veins or arteries, respectively). If you do end up having HIT (always depends on numerous factors, it may be that you don't have it), you should then be prescribed another form of heparin which does not cross the placenta and also reduces the risk of thrombosis.

Hope that helped and all the best.
Thank you for the advice..Yes, my doctor is monitoring. Usually platelets are associated with clotting of blood. But how come when the count is too low the thrombosis can occur?

Right now i am on Enoxaparin Sodium...not sure whether this crosses placenta..need to check with my doctor.

If the count comes too low, whats the solution?...my doctor was telling about Platelet transfusion...

i am undergoing regular scanning as well as the platelet counts.

Hope everything will go well...