Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Lunch Meat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Lunch Meat

Hi...I am about a month pregnant...I have always read it is unsafe to eat sandwich meat while expecting because of the bacteria found in it. Something regarding listeria and the placenta. Please advise.
You are right to be concerned about the bacteria in lunchmeat. Luckily, it is quite rare.

Listeria is found in contaminated foods.It is especially a problem for pregnant woman,  as well as those with compromised immune systems. As you have said, it can infect the placenta, as well as the baby and can even cause stillbirth. Sometimes the baby is born healthy but develops meningitis several weeks after delivery.

You might know if you have it by having stomach ailments or generally feel unwell, but you may also not have any symptoms.

It is best to avoid lunchmeat - not only for fear of contamination but because it is generally not very nutritious. As a pregnant woman, you will want to eat healthier foods such as vegetables and proteins that have not been processed. Lunch meat is processed with usually low grade meat and is often mixed with grain filler.

Hiope this is helpful!
Thank you for responding in my post I appreciate it.
And the thing about counselor I tried it but its either I started sluttering when I talk about it to my counselor or I hesitate if I should trust my counseler. But for me even I can't open up with my parents to my personal thinking about things I'm just lucky that my friend are here trying to stop me. I'm not those teens who cut their self just because they always think they're too fat, skinny or ugly,  had acne problem.(  I love my skin ) I just cry everything out to my best friend and they comfort me and I got used that I don't gain weight very fast and having breakouts because I live most of my childhood taken care by dads aunt that took care of me more like my real mom that my birth mom. I just want to lose weight before I go back to her cause I don't want her to see me that I become fat and ugly... and I'm starting high school and I wanna do the stuff that I used to do like dancing or doing sport not getting tired easily