Pregnancy 18-24 Community
MMR and Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

MMR and Pregnancy

I hope someone can help, I am 5 weeks pregnant. I have never been vaccinated against rubella. As I am pregnant I know that I cannot have it done now. I do however have a 13 month old baby.
if I have my baby vaccinated can it affect my unborn child?
-7 Comments Post a Comment
How would your child being vaccinated effect the embryo?

As far as the vaccination for Rubella, I got mine right after I had my daughter (Thanks to my neglectful mother, I didn't even know that I never had that shot). Rubella is something like a cross between the flu and roseola in a sense. Just like both, it will also pass within a week or so. However, it is best to get your 13 month old vaccinated so that you can avoid these risks. Their immune systems are still a work in progress where as our's are more mature and stronger. So I wouldn't fret about it while you're pregnant, but go ahead and get your toddler the MMR shots. But I do suggest doing research on all the immunizations before getting them for you and your children, risks, etc. Knowledge is never a bad thing :)
I had to have this shot also after I had my first child.  For some reason, I had to have it again after this last one but don't worry about it.  They will just give it to you in the hospital after you deliver.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers