Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Marginal cord insertion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Marginal cord insertion

I was just diagnosed yesterday at my 20 week scan with what's called a marginal cord insertion, or a battledore placenta.  Instead of the cord attaching to the center of the placenta, it is off to the side.  The possible implications are IUGR, preterm labor, and low levels of amniotic fluid so every 4 weeks I have an u/s to measure growth and fluid levels because it is in a leaner part of the placenta that may not pass on as many nutrients or as much oxygen.  I understand it is pretty rare, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it, and how it turned out.  I have small babies to begin with, both were barely 6 pounds, and this little girl is already measuring a week behind.  I have been induced before and I had every intention of going through to the end with this one, but if I have to be induced for the baby, obviously that is the path I will take.
so i searched Medhelp and found a couple post on this, some responses were from 2010 so i thought maybe you could contact some of the ppl who responded to the posts and see how everything worked out... just a warning tho there are happy and sad endings and i dont want you to lose hope in anyway as statistically odds are still in your favour! so here are the links and i hope they help...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Pregnancy-18-34/Umbilical-cord-not-in-middle-of-placenta/show/1298811

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Maternal--Child/Anyone-heard-of-marginal-cord-insertion-or-had-it-yourself/show/164538

Also i hope there are some responses to your question that are more current and you find someone to talk it over with, good luck :)
Thanks!  I actually did search the posts here, and found the same ones you found, I was surprised at how few posts there were, so it really must be rare!  Nobody followed up and when I went to profiles it looked as though they haven't been active in a while.  I was hoping maybe someone has had experience recently.  I did see the tragic outcomes posted, but from what I have actually found (which is not much) the marginal cord isn't as worrisome as a velamentous cord, where it attaches to the membranes.  Some posts I've seen have people posting their experiences with the velamentous cord, so I am hoping my biggest worry will be growth.

I hope this response finds you with a happy healthy baby. I was diagnosed with marginal cord insertion as well just recently at my 20 week scan and would be interested in your experience..
I know your post was last october and i was just diagnosed with this condition.  How has your pregnancy been?