Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Medicaid cover childbirth cost?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Medicaid cover childbirth cost?

So I have applied for medicaid since I just got off my parents insurance (I stayed on it because I was a full time college student) and was wondering if it covers the cost of labor/childbirth?

Also, I don't think I will be approved by my next appointment which is this Tuesday July 6th, and the doctor said I would have to pay money down and then I would be reimbursed once I got the medicaid. Anyone have to get reimbursed for medicaid and how long did it take? Did you get the full amount back?
MC+ (Medicaid for pregnant women) will only cover the costs if your hospital and doctor are in-network. If you're a college student with minimal to no income then they most likely will pay for everything that is a covered benefit (which includes quite a bit except for certain special testings which you most likely may not even ever need).

If you were already approved for Medicaid you can give your doctor's office the Medicaid number or reschedule your appointment. I wouldn't go through the hassle of trying to get my money back like that. I would just reschedule until I had my Medicaid number and/or card.

Some examples of what they will cover:

-anesthesia used during labor
-normal vaginal delivery
-emergency c-section (may not cover elective c-section)
-your hospital stay and food
-your baby's post partum care at the hospital
-Tylenol and stool softeners (after birth)
-Pads, diapers, wipes, etc. that the hospital gives you to use
-circumcision (maybe; you'd have to ask)
-blood work done after birth

I don't really have an idea of what is NOT covered but I think if you have a pretty normal labor and delivery you shouldn't have to pay anything.
Your state probably has a special medicaid program taylored just for pregnant women.  The name will vary from state to state but coverage is basically the same.  You should be able to ask the place you applied at for the medicaid website and they should have links to what is covered.

Also, if you have already applied, many doctors will not charge you up front if you tell them you are waiting for approval from medicaid. You should talk to your doctors billing office.  If approved, in many states, medicaid can be retroactive up to 3 months.
I was basically going to give you much of the same advice you have already received. I would totally agree with Joy that I would reschedule until you have an ID # or something. I have heard getting reimbursed is a hassle and very time consuming. You also run the risk of having whatever Dr. you use being out of network and you would be responsible for the entire bill. I would wait until you have your Medicaid in place. Best of luck!
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to reschedule for the next week (July 13th) and hopefully medicaid (Title 19)  is approved by then.
I have been on medicaid twice for pregnancy. First one ended in m/c. Both times I was instantly approved but it took a few weeks for me to get my actual card. I just told my Dr office which form of medicaid I was on and they accepted that so I just brought my card in when I received it without having to pay upfront but I did have to sign a piece of paper saying that if I wasn't covered I would be responsible for the bill.

Each state is different and you really should call the 800 number to find out exactly what is covered by your specific medicaid. I have had to call several times to find out if certain things are covered. I just found out that they cover an electric hospital grade breast pump rental for 2 months or a hand pump for me to keep. In my state the program I'm on actually sends you a car seat you can choose an infant one or a forward facing one.  You take a quick little quiz that they send you with an information pamphlet that has all the answers in it. So there are lots of extras they will cover you just have to ask.

You should also try and apply for WIC if you haven't already.

Medicaid for pregnant women covers EVERYTHING. Except if you want to get a private room @ the hospital, then that's out of your pocket