Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Metformin and Ovulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Metformin and Ovulation

I have heard that Metformin helps with ovulation.  I have been taking Metformin for almost a year now for type 2 diabetes.  If this is true, will the Metformin still help me with ovulation eventhough it is serving another purpose in my body?  
Metformin is a diabetic medication. If it helps you with ovulation it is only because it is controlling and regulating the rest of your body. But it does not directly affect fertility.

I had PCOS and was taking Metformin (I did not have insulin resistance but took it for the PCOS anyway). Losing weight is most likely the main reason I was able to regulate and start ovulating again.
I too have PCOS and my doc just put me on Metformin to help me Ov I was on clomid for 6 months and only Ov once the whole time now he took me off the clomid and just put me on Metformin and told me that it will help with my Ov I am not insulin resistance but he says it will help me to Ov. I am not over weight and I am over all healthy thank god. I hope it helps you and I both to Ov.
I also have been trying to concieve (conceive) for almost a year and have had issues with ovulation. I was perviously on the Depo shot for 6 years and after going of the shot did not have a period for 14 months. My doctor gave me progestrone to kick start my period and ovulation. everything was back to normal until 2 months ago when I started having my period every 2 !/2 weeks. My doctor has not prescribed me metformin to help regulate my periods and promote ovulation. I am not diabetic, but I am overweight and that doesn't help either so I am going to work on that too. Hopefully this will help. Good luck to you.
I also was put on metformin when I was trying to get pregnant with my daughter and it worked.  Now I'm trying for number 2 and my doctor put me on metformin again to help with my ovulation.
It helps with ovulation by regulating your hormones, so to answer your question yes it will still help with ovulation while it controls your insulin levels.  ovulation is more of a side effect you ovulate because it regulates your hormones.  In women with PCOS the most recent studies show that it's more effective at inducing ovulation than clomid!  Good luck, hope you get your BFP!