Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Might have been exposed to pneumonia and I'm pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

So my dumba$$ coworker has been sick for more than a week, and today he came saying he might have had pneumonia. Now he's just coughing a lot, but when it started, two wednesdays ago, he was feeling horrible and didn't come to work on thurs or fri. He hasnt even been to the doctor, he just looked online at the symptoms and that's what he thinks he had. Now, neither me or my two coworkers (the 4 of us work in the same office) have developed any symptoms whatsoever, and it's been almost 2 weeks since the initial exposure (and unfortunately I sit NEXT to this dumba**). I'm pretty sure I didn't get anything from him, but what a bout my baby? is it dangerous for him/her even if I haven't developed any symptoms? Or as long as I don't have anything he/she will be ok?
If your immune system fought it off, I would say that your baby is okay.  Since you're sharing your blood and immune system with the baby right now, s/he shouldn't have any effects from pneumonia.  Now, I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you that for sure, but I'm making an educated guess based on the fact that they give pregnant women flu shots because they can pass on some of that to their babies before their born to help them fight off any germs they may encounter when they're first born.  I was given the flu shot in November of last year b/c my son was going to be born smack dab in the middle of flu season (January).  So, he may have had enough of my immunities passed on that he didn't get sick.

Hope this helps, but, as always, check with your doctor if you're really concerned about it or if you come down with any symptoms yourself!  Good luck!!
Faye- I had the same thing your coworker had. I doubt it was pneumonia. It was most likely bronchitis, which is not as contagious as people think.

So I think you're in the clear!
P.S. I had it this month and my baby is doing just fine.
yeah it mayb bronchitis..i had the same thing back in june.. they thought i had pneumonia..ibut  didnt..but it isnt contagious..the cough is part of the bron..it ***** and does feeel horrible but u should be fine
Ladies, thank you! just yesterday after I posted this he told me that now (after looking at webmd again) he realizes that what he had was bronchitis (lol like you said, JoyRenee!). Ha go figures! whatever it is im glad he didn't spread it all over the office. I do have a good immune system (haven't gotten sick in a year) so maybe I have that to thank this for. Also I called the resident ob-gyn just in case and she said that as long as I'm not feeling symptoms, I'm ok. I just got worried cause I was thinking what if *I* don't get symptoms but my baby gets sick? hmmm
thanks for all of your advice!