Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Mouse/rat droppings in baby clothes!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Mouse/rat droppings in baby clothes!!

I went out to the shed today to start pulling out old baby clothes for my new born (on the way) and my older son and found mouse/rat droppings everywhere :( I'm concerned that even if I was the clothes (there's droppings at pee spots all over them) that they wont be safe. A lot of it I will probably throw away anyway because of the pee stains IDK if they'll come out but what do you ladies think?? My MIL said if I wash them in hot hot water with a little bleach they should be fine. Any other ideas or thoughts? Do you think it'd kill any diseases that may be on them??
Wash*
I would wash them a few times with hot water... till your satisfied that they are clean, and do one round at least with a small amount of bleach(its doesnt take much at all to disinfect and you dont want to ruin the clothes)... i hate mice! i had 2 in my house this winter and one was caught in the spare bedroom where my company sleeps... i washed down the walls, the floor, and used matress cleaner on the bed even tho i had it made and covered in plastic(and i dont think the mouse touched it)   but those little buggers make ya cringe at the thought that they go everywhere!
I agree, wash them a couple times in hot water with a little bit of bleach to sanitize them. I wouldn't worry about the stains until I washed them a couple times first to see if they come out with the bleach first. If not, I'm sure there is some type of clothing stain remover that will get the pee stains out.
Thanks y'all! Yeah I hate them too! We live right next to a field and I imagine that's where they came from! Thanks God they haven't made it in the house!!! My fear when I went in there were spiders and stepping in the ant bed by the door lol then I looked up and all on top of one of the boxes were little droppings :(
I live on a farm so it happens :( i hate it! the other mouse was living under our fridge and my cat killed it before i even knew it was there... my BF had to pull apart the fridge and take apart the fan to clean it out, my MIL was visiting so she bleached everything down :) so i didnt have to... but can they ever make a mess!! and yes as far as the stains go, dont put them in the dryer till they are gone or they will set for sure... i know if you set baby poop stains in the sun the sun actually will bleach the stain away but you cant put it in the dryer first...
That's awesome! I did not know that about the baby poop stains! Do you have to rinse them or anything first, I mean aside from any chunky stuff of course?
i put them in the wash and then lay them outside to dry... and if it really bad you can do that as many times as needed but again once it goes in the dryer its set... i ruined lots of clothes before learning that lol
Yeah I knew if you put it in the dryer it was set stains s u c k that way lol. But that is awesome I will HAVE to remember that!!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers