Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Mucus Plug or Bloody Show? (Don't open if you're squeamish!)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

7378410?1320436029
Hey ladies -

I'm almost 37 weeks.  Went into l&d early Monday morning with contractions 2 minutes apart.  They were able to stop them and sent me home.  I was 1 cm dilated and only 20% effaced - baby is breech and high.  The doc thinks labor would have gone on if he had been lower and I was continuing to dilate.  

Anyways - I thought I lost my mucus plug 1 1/2 weeks ago (hence being dilated).  But the last few days I've have lots of brownish mucusy discharge.  Today I've been feeling very wet...nothing gushing or anything.  Went to the bathroom and this is what I found when I wiped.  I wadded this up and left it for a while, so it's a little old.  Basically it was about 1 1/2 inches around.  Do you think this is bloody show or more of the plug?  I've lost a LOT of mucus over the last week or so, how big are these things?

I will say I've been pretty crampy today with increased low back pain...but not very many noticeable contractions.  Any thoughts would be appreciated, and again, sorry for the TMI picture!
Looks like your mucus plug to me! Bloody show is just blood I do believe. But this looks globby to me. I totally remember what it looks like because my glopped all over the hospital bathroom floor. Nice stuff! LOL
Good luck...seems like your dialating more!
Just wondering how big it should be.  By now, with the amount I've seen over the last week or so, I should be 15cm dilated!!!
The reason it keeps coming out is because your mucus plug regenerates. That's why losing it isn't a good indicator of when you'll go into labor. Bloody show is fresh bleeding or spotting and I went into labor and was in the hospital at 4cm when I had it.

Basically, mucus plugs are disgusting and slimy and they seem never ending. I lost mine at 36 weeks and then some more at 37 weeks and gave birth at 38 exactly.
Why would I still have a mucus plug if my cervix was already open?
Because you're only 1cm, maybe 2. That's really not very much in the grand scheme of things. They grow back, and the purpose of the plug is to keep bacteria from entering the uterus. Losing your plug doesn't happen overnight when you start to dilate, it's a gradual process for most women. I was 2cm and still losing bits of my plug.
Even some fully dilated women never visibly lose their plug. You do not HAVE to have this gone to have a baby. The picture looks like it, but overall it doesn't indicate much. Some women start to lose their's from 30 weeks onward and many are dilated 2,3 and 4 cm.
yep things are def starting to happe, the further up or dilated your cervix gets them ore clearer and blood tinged it gets, you can loose your plug up to two weeks before you go into labour, with bub being breech and high up you must be careful your waters dont break, if they do get straight to the hospital as your babys cord could prolapse, are you going to try and deliver vaginally or have you a c-section booked
I've known women on here who have lost them at 20 weeks and then again at 30 weeks, 35weeks, and 37 weeks. It means nothing other than you are starting to have a cervix change.
This is my 3rd pregnancy, I know you don't have to lose it...I didn't with my daughter.

Just got out of my appointment - looks like I'm 4 cm dilated and almost fully effaced.  He said it could be bloody show but that once you lose your mucus plug at this point (and are dilated like this) it doesn't grow back.  

Thanks for getting me through the waiting room wait!  Hopefully we'll have a baby in a few days...
as I said yes you can loose it a varying times but when you put that with everything else that is happening its a definite sign that things are starting to progress, especially as baby is a high breech and there is no pressure from the babys head
Im 24 weeks an 6 days.I just got home June 3, 2013 from a 2 day stay at the hospital for having contractions that were  4 minutes apart,.. They kept me cause I was dialating, I went from a 1 to 2 within the hr. an ever since i been home i have been losing a large amount of my mucus plug evrytime I go to the bathroom, I also been gettting alot of pressure between my legs.. Is that normal???