Pregnancy 18-24 Community
My father probably wont be around to meet his first grandchild

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

My dad has his days numbered. It saddens me so much that he wont meet his grandchild. AND we think its a boy which he would be super excited about. Breaks my heart but I will be naming him after his grandfather. Anyone else experience similar?  I never met my grandfather as the first grandchild. Kinda weird.
My grandfather on my stepdads side is gravely I'll. He has fought off cancer twice, had two heart attacks, and three surgeries to remove blood clots in his legs. Just recently, he has begun showing signs of Alzheimer's. This man was the only male role model in my life, the only man who I could look up to growing up. He has helped me get my first apartment, fix my car after every breakdown, and given me a place to stay when I needed it. I am moving before my son is born, and I know that even if they meet, neither will know what is happening or remember it 5 minutes later. My son will be named Charles, after the man I respect and live most in this world. Even though we are not blood related, he has never acted like there was any difference. It hurts, knowing that my children won't know him.
A few months ago, I started writing down his life stories, like a memoir. I want to finish before I move, and bind copies for each of his great grandchildren. He has 4 with three more due this year. Last Christmas, my mom bought the books that you can record yourself reading for him to give to his Grandkids. Maybe something like this will make a good gift for your son someday.
I found out i was pregnant 8 weeks after my mum passed away last year and im heartbroken, although this wont be her first grandchild or my first i know how much mum would have loved her. It also upsets me that my lil girl will never know her gran x
I'm so sorry!! My grandpa passed away 2 weeks before I was born and I love hearing momma talk about him. My heartbreaks for you! Ill be praying.
Thanks ladies. I told my father and he is so happy for me, touched my belly and asked for an ultrasound pic when I go next on the 22nd. It hurts but at least he knows he will have the family name carried on if it is indeed a boy....since all he has are daughters : )
Im 16w pregnant and we found out a month ago my dad has cancer. He needs rad and chemo. This wnt b his first grandchild but i pray he makes it through this cuz im his baby and he has,been waiting fir me to have one of my own. Pls keep himin ur prayers as i will for u all
Thank you dear, and you and your father are in my prayers as well.
Thats an awesome idea thank you so much!!
Yep me, as many people on here know i lost my dad almost two minths ago. He didnt even know i was pregnsnt. I didnt say goodbye i didnt and couldnt attend the funeral. Its really sad but im pretty sure your dad would love his grandchild from heaven. If you ever need to just let it all out you can msg me.
Im so sorry :( but u could still carry on his name with a girl too just make his name her middle name... one of my cousins did it with her grandfathers name and it was so cute just a idea :) keep ur head up u never know what might happen girly and ill be praying for him goodluck
My grandpa passed away this past December so I was like 12 weeks... really sux he wont ever meet my daughter:( I'm sry I kno how hard it is.
Thank you dear...
I would do that except he is Samual Mark and im already Samantha : )
I'm so sorry :(
My father passed away last August, one if the last things he asked me was to have his grandchild,, I said didn't want children now I'm 4months.. It's a blessing but it also saddens me..
My mother is dieing at the moment. She dosent yet know we are pregnant. we are hoping she improves to still be here to hold her first grandchild but its very unlikely. At the moment wwe are waiting till i hit 12wks and then we will see how shes doing. Its very sad. Hard to know wheather to make her suffur more by telling her what else she might miss or by just keeping it to myself. We are waiting till 12wks just to be sure everythings ok.
Im sure thats very difficult and i will keep you all in my prayers. My father is a "worry" man but also very intuitive, i wasnt going to tell him......when i did, he said "i knew"
I also never wanted children....funny how it all comes about and we absolutely fall in love with whatt we carry inside : )
My dad died in December, I'm due march 9th with the 9th grandchild.. He was only 53. He battled cancer a couple years ago and beat it, but at the end of October he found out he had cancer again and lasted till December.. It is really hard, but I try and tell myself, he might of been fairly young still but he had a full life and fathered 7 children and had lots of people who loved him and miss him.. There hasnt been a day that has gone by so far that I haven't thought of my dad..
My son was born july 1st my father past away july 14th never got to meet him he knew my sons name and the crazy thing is I think hes watching over him the hospital he past in was st. francis we looked it up and my fathers name is francis and my sons name is xavier he hospital was named after st francis xavier boy what a sign that was for me. Just cause they cant meet in physical form doesnt mean he wont be their with his grand baby
My great grandma passed away suddenly about a week ago. She was healthy, so we thought, and the last 3 weeks she was alive things just kept piling up. We found out she had cancer and it had already spread everywhere :( I'm her first great grandchild and she was so excited about her first great great grandchild :(