Pregnancy 18-24 Community
New baby and traveling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

New baby and traveling

Ok, looking for some other peoples thoughts on this. One of my husbands best friends just let us know that he picked a date for his wedding, May 27th. The wedding is happening in Cabo (or another one of those popular tourists places). Of course we want to go, its a really close friend. Problem, I am due April 8th......so potentially I could have anything from a 2month old to a 6 week old. So what do I do? Do I let my husband go without me? Do I take a newborn? Or do I have my family watch her? My gut is saying she is too young to leave even though it will only be 2 days, is it to much to take her with us??
Appreciate some advice!
I would take her with you too! We traveled with our daughter by plane for the first time when she was just over 7 weeks old. I'm not sure how it would have gone otherwise, but our doctor suggested she be nursing (or have a bottle) for take-of and landing. She ended up falling asleep on take-off and slept through most of the 4 hour flight! As the previous poster mentioned, a sling was crucial - it was not required by the airline we flew but it helped alleviate sore/stiff arms. But, we did have to have her registered on one of our boarding passes as something like "babe in arms". We just called the airline to have it recorded after we bought the tickets on-line.

If you can afford more time for the trip, I would suggest making it longer if anything. We find traveling with a child is far less stressful if we have more time. So, for example, if given the choice of a 30 minute transfer between flights and a 2 hour layover, we'll choose the longer one. Also, being in one place for 3-4 nights minimum makes our trips nicer than running to and fro. Good luck and enjoy!

Other tips involve things like knowing you can bring liquids on planes for kids to 2+ years old. We pack a ziploc with 1-2 diapers and a baggie of wipes so you have a quick, small diaper changing kit (we pack one for each my husband and I). If your plane has a diaper changing table, it will be small and cramped and the last thing you want to do is negotiate a whole diaper bag! Also, bring a change of t-shirt (or whole outfit) for you and husband as well as a change of clothes for the baby on the plane! I learned that one from a friend whose daughter got sick all over him near the beginning of a long flight - eww!
i say take he with u..... babies can travel safely in a plane u will just need a sling to put her in so that she is considered "lap baby" and theres no extra  charge. i myself would get worried sick if i left my newborn. with myfirst i traveled from florida to pennsylvania when my son was 2 1/2 month n this time new baby boy wilk be about 3 months and going back to penn for my brothers wedding
I took my first baby with me to my husbands brothers wedding when she was 3 months old, and that was from germany all the way to CA! So I know it can be done, but I guess I just keep thinking that this one will be even smaller then that and I guess I feel diffrent because it will be going to Mexico. I dont think I like the idea of leaving her with family even if it is only a few days, especially since I plan on breastfeeding. I think I am even wondering if I will have fun??
I would leave her with family. 2 days is nothing and pump before u go and while your gone so you keep your milk flow. I don't think mexico is a good place for a newborn. Go have some fun and some well deserved alone time with your hubby!

Do you think I should talk to the bride and groom? What if they dont like the idea of an infant there?
My thought was whether an infant is even invited.  If they are going through the effort to have the wedding at a resort that mainly caters to adults it might not go over too well.  It also depends on exactly where if not Cabo.  There are resort areas of Mexico that are considered malaria risk areas.  Most resort towns aren't but when I worked at a blood bank there were a few that resulted in people not being able to donate blood after for a year because of the malaria risk.