Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Newborn urine drug test, vicodin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Newborn urine drug test, vicodin

I am 37 weeks pregnant and having been using hydrocodone (3-5 pills a day) on and off throughout my pregnancy.  I am not proud of this, I am terrified.  I have chronic pain, and it was the only thing that got me through.  
I will be having a drug test at the hospital and so will the baby.  Urine testing.
My question is how long will it show up on urine tests? I am having a csection at 39 weeks along.
I am not looking for judgement, please.  I am just wanting an honest answer.  
Honestly it depends on how long you have used for. Normally it takes about 3 days to leave your system but if you have been taking them for a while it might take longer to leave your system. Also i have no idea how long it stays in a fetus. You have to also think about withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. Might hurt you and baby. You should talk to a Doc about help weaning off instead of cutting off completely so as to not hurt your baby or you. I hope this helps!
I have weaned off almost fully now.  
Thank you so much for your help and nonjudgement.  I am a basket case right now.  
Were you prescribed vicodin? I am 12 weeks now and last week I was in th er because I had an ovarian cyst the size of a softball rupture. I was in extreme pain and my Dr actually prescribed me vicodin for pain. I only took it for a few days, but she said it was safe. If you haven't already told your Dr about using this, you should now. For many reasons including possible drug interactions during your c section. Also, most vicodin contains a blood thinner which could complicate the surgery. Also, the Sr may be able to get you a safe med to control your pain. Also, being honest shows you are making an effort and will decrease the likelihood that child protective services will get involved. Good luck!
If this was as per prescribed, then you probably shouldn't be changing anything.

If this was a non prescribed medication then that's a slightly different situation.  I am honestly not certain how long it will take to leave your system, but I wouldn't think longer then a few weeks.  I do think though that it depends on how they drug test the baby.  It's not always done through urine, it depends on why they are testing.

I will caution you to be careful when it comes to self weaning.  It is always recommended that that be done under medical supervision.  Also, if you are concerned about it showing in a drug test, then there is also a concern about baby withdrawing.  That can be quite dangerous if the Dr.'s don't know what is happening, and will also be a worse situation then if you just tell them what's been going on.  That is not to pass judgement, just to hopefully give you some solid advice.  Honestly, the best thing you could do is as June said, be honest.  Not only will this look better to cps, but it is much safer for your baby.

All the best to you.