Pregnancy 18-24 Community
No Amniotic Fluid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

No Amniotic Fluid

My sister inlaw is a adopting a new born, the mother's didn't have any amniotic fluid for several weeks.  The baby is discolored, like a grey look, because it sat in the mother's womb without fluid.  Is this normal?  The doctor's claim that the baby is healthy.  Will the baby get her color back to normal and when?  Is there anything we should be aware of about the baby?  Would the baby have lived in species?  We are very concerned about the newborn.

Thank you,
I went without amniotic fluid for almost 4 weeks and my daughter was a little discolored for a couple of weeks. Her skin color came back three weeks after birth.
when did you lose your amniotic fluid? I lost my fluid at 14w6d. I am now 17w4d and still have a strong hb. Did you carry to term?
I'm sure the baby will be just fine! My daughter didn't have lack of amniotic fluid but she was "discolored" for a few weeks. She was breastfed for a few weeks but then I switched to Enfamil formula. She was still this really strange color so I switched to the soy formula (Prosobee Lipil) and she turned a beautiful coloring that was normal.

So maybe a change in the little one's diet might help, too. I'm just guessing here, but it is worth a try.
I had an emergency c-section with my oldest becuase of lack of fluid....she came out discolored and bent in all the wrong places however they gave her an apgar score of 8....She spent 4 days in nicu for observation.  Her color returned to normal rather quickly and everything that was bent where it wasn't supposed to be straightened out.  SHe is now 11 and you'd never know she had those problems.  If the doc is saying the baby is healthy, I'm sure he/she is.
I am worried about the lung development at this time. If there is no fluid, how can the baby have functioning lungs?
I would think your doctor would be monitoring that very closely and finding out why you have little or no amniotic fluid. If you are concerned, you should speak to him/her and figure out a way to keep that baby alive and healthy.

I know drinking water is essential. Otherwise, no clue, cheryl07.
not to upset you, but,  dr.s realized at 22 weeks that all my fluid was gone.  they went in and put more fluid around my baby called amnioinfusion .  because with no fluid your baby's lungs will not develop.  this procedure ruptured my membranes and I gave birth to my baby at 23.5 weeks.  He did not make it because his lungs were so underdeveloped and he had been without water for about 3 weeks.  He too had a strong heartbeat. He lived for 2 hours after birth.  Your dr's should prepare you.  Have they told you what your baby's chances of survival are?
Yes they have told us of our chances...less than 5%. Since my last post, everything has started to decline. We are currently preparing for the next step. This is very hard for my husband and I as this is our 3rd miscarriage. I do want to thank you for your post, it was very helpful to us. I am very sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck.
I am sorry for your losses as well.  It seems we are having the same problems.  I had 3 miscarriages before I lost Zane.  Have they done any blood tests on you.  They did on me and I have a few blood disorders.  I was on medications to try to prevent any problems but obviously it didn't work.  Of course we had only found out about my blood disorders a month before all this happened.  I hope dr's can help you find out whats going on with you and you can have a good outcome for future pregnancies.  
I am 14 weeks with twins, and an ultrasound yesterday revealed that there is no amniotic fluid around one of them.  What sort of treatment and advice have others received?  I've really upped my fluid intake, but am at a loss as to what else, if anything, I can do.
You should definately be monitored closely. My sister lost amniotic fluid with her son and his kidneys didn't develop. Unfortunately he didn't survive but on life support. We had to give him to the angels. This is nothing to take lightly. Drink plenty of fluids.
At this stage of your pregnancy, with no amniotic fluid around the baby its lungs will not develop.  My baby lost his fluid around 20 weeks and he did not survive.  They have to have that fluid in order for their lungs to develop, and if your lungs can't develop, you cannot breathe.  There could be many things wrong with that one twin.  He could have a blockage of some sort, or he may not have any kidneys at all.  I did not have an autopsy done on my baby, so I don't know for sure what caused this.  I did however have a placenta biopsy and there were chromosomal abnormalities in my placenta.  The Dr's can do a amnio-infusion, where they put saline solution in there for the baby, but there are risks.  This procedure made my water break at 22 weeks.  And the Dr's really didn't want to help me save my baby. they told me I should induce labor to terminate my baby.  and I of course refused.  I did give birth to my son a week later, and his lungs were not developed enough, so all the efforts that were made to keep him alive after I gave birth failed.  He went for 1.5 hours with no oxygen getting to his brain or any other part of his body, so we had to let him go.  I do hope the best for you and your little ones.  and not to sound mean, but I hope you get at least one baby out of all this, I got none. oh and drinking lots of fluid is good, but I drink 2 gallons of water a day, so I can't say that increasing the amount of fluid you drink helps.  if a person that drinks as much water as I do can have this problem, then its not the mothers fluid intake that causes this.  Best of luck to you.  and keep us posted.
sorry, don't know how it posted twice!
Just to let anyone interested know, we lost our twins at 16 weeks and are now waiting to hear the results of a post mortem.  The first twin lost his amniotic fluid entirely in about week 14 and the second also lost his increasingly in the days that followed.  We are hoping to find out why this happened, and it has been suggested to us that there may have been some sort of infection. I wish everyone on the list the best of luck with their pregnancies.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  Truly there are no words that can express the magnitude of your situation, but from all of us here who's experienced a lost we understand how you feel, and can testify to the fact that as time goes on it gets a little easier.  Please keep us updated on when you get your final report back as I'm sure it can help answer alot of questions for women here in your same situation.  Again, sorry to hear about all you're going through, and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
I am so sorry for the loss of your babies.  I know what your going through.  If you ever need someone to talk to, leave me a message.  Let us know what you find out.  I am very curious because I had the same problem.  So sorry.
me and my wife just found out today that the fluid is very low around our baby. she is 21 weeks along and we will be seeing a doctor tomorrow, i was just wondering after reading everyones comments what kind of things we should be bringing up to the doctor before its to late? if any of you have any information we would greatly appreciate it.
How many centimeters of fluid are they able to measure around your baby?  She needs to be monitored every week.  If the fluid gets too low, the drs can do an amnioinfusion.  That is where they go in and put saline solution in the sack for the baby.  This procedure is painful to the mother, but doesn't effect the baby.  However there are risks as well.  This procedure caused my water to break about 5 hours after it was done.  With low fluid levels, there could be problems with the baby.  It could have a blockage of some sort, or it could be that it has no kidneys.  At this stage of pregnancy, its the baby that creates and recycles the fluid.  I suggest that she takes it easy and just try to stay pg.  Like you probably read on hear, I found out at 22 weeks that there was no water around my baby at all.  I had also gone 4 weeks without an u/s.  drs mistake in my opinion.  Also with low fluid the babys lungs won't develope properly, but atleast there is still fluid around your baby.  My baby was born at 23.5 weeks and his lungs were not developed enough so he didn't make it.  I also suggest if it comes down to it and she is in the hospital, she needs to ask for a steroid shot to help babys lungs develope.  I begged the drs to give me the shots and they refused.  We also insisted that they try to resesitate our baby, which they did.  The drs were also really rude in my opinion, they told me I should induce labor and terminate my baby, but I wouldn't do it.  well, I hope the best for you and your family.  if you have any more ??'s just ask away.  
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I know what you are going through. We lost our baby at 19.5 weeks due to no amniotic fluid. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you the best of luck.
I thought I'd add this last post to say that we had the post mortem results on the babies this week, and there was apparently nothing detectably wrong with them (aside from the damage resulting from the lack of amniotic fluid). The genetic testing we had done subsequently didn't show any problems either. It seems that the integrity of one of the sacs was compromised at some point early on, and it is likely to have been related to a blood clot (which may have been a third embryo at some point). I bled continually during the pregnancy, incidentally. Because the twins were next to each other, the two sacs were both affected and the fluid was lost.  I had induced labour at 16 weeks as there was simply no way they could survive, and with each ultrasound we could see how immobile and cramped they had become.  I don't think my situation is all that common (they actually thought I had a molar pregnancy early on), so please don't be discouraged as I gather that there are situations where the fluid can replenish.  
As much as your results didn't give you answers on Why it happened, at lest you know it wasn't genetic. I hope you get pregnant again soon and that a "normal" pregnancy next time.
Thanks for sharing your news.  We currently found out there is no fluid around our baby.  All of our doctors are expecting the baby's demise in the next few weeks.  I am fortunate that I already have a two year old that is keeping me somewhat distracted by these devastating events.
when can you get pregnant again after loosing a baby shortly after birth at 22 weeks
hello. i just lost my baby. i was 22weeks and 3 days and my water bag broke. Th drs said i had a fever of 100.4 and i could of had an infection so they wanted me safe. They did an ultrasound and found no amniotic fluid left around baby. I was in shock when they told us about inducing labor and giving birth with no baby to care for. They said he would die. It took my husband and I 8 month to get pregnant. We have been so happy this whole pregnancy. When they took my temperature in L & D it was normal. 98.7. They baby had a strong heartbeat. They still said I could of had an infection, thus making the bag break. My son was delivered and was 1lb and 2 ozs. He was so cute I keep him with me for 3 hours  but he died within 10 min. I see everyones stories and think maybe they could of saved him by adding fliud to his sac until 24 weeks which was there nicu cutt off for keeping babies alive. Im so sad and carry an broken heartbeat. Can a baby survive in the womb with no fliud and can fluid take the place of the amniotic fliud for another week? I just feel that something else could of been done to save my son.
I am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot express it. To answer your first question, i lost my baby at 19 weeks, my Dr told me to wait at least 3 months before trying again. Partly for health reasons but a lot to do with emotional ones. The next few months will be very hard for you. I recently went back to work (i took sick leave for 15 weeks) and this week i had somone ask how my pregnancy was going, some ask how my baby was doing at home and recieved a can of formula in the mail. I am also watching my best friend and another good friend reaching all the milestones i should be with them, i just totally lost it when i read she's 36 weeks, that means i'd have been 37. I hope that you and your husband lean on each other for support, you'll both need it. I can't answer the fluid questions, but i just wanted to tell you how sorry i am and if you need to talk to someone, you can message me
To all you ladies who have went through this problem I am sorry for youe losses. It's sad to read these stories. I have personally never been through a situation like this but i wanted to send my condolences to all the parents who have lost a little one. You guys will be in my prayers!
My cousin is currently in the hospital. She went into preterm labor at 23 weeks and the DR was able to stop it but she had to stay in the hospital and have a stitch for an incompetent cervix.Around a week 1 1/2 week later her water broke and the baby does not have any fluid around him at all. The DR has kept the baby in for 7 weeks now and has just told us that the lungs are not developed at all she is now 7 months pregnant and the Dr has advised her that they may need to deliver by C-section and the baby has a slim chance of survival. My question is if he knew that amniotic fluid was a major factor in lung development and they never offered the option of amnioinfusion what was the point of having her carry the baby this long just to provide the excuse that the lings "could not develope" without the fluid that he knew she had completely lost at 24 weeks??
An amnioinfusion is not possible with a tear or ruptured membranes, as the fluid would just keep seeping out of the amniotic sac.

Second she could demand steroid shots which help develope babies lungs despite the amount of fluid she is carrying.

Third- a baby at 7 months gestation has a very good chance of survival, even with the lack of amniotic fluid. The baby will need to be housed in the NICU for several months to help him breathe and such, but the survival rate is very good.

and last but not least......Id get a second opinion.
I lost my fluid at week 16-17 in my pregnancy. The Dr could not see any fluid on any of my ultrasounds after this point.  My son was born by emergency c section at 26 weeks.  My son is still in the Nicu almost 4 months after his birth, but he is doing really well now.  THE DR TOLD US THIS WEEK THAT WE WILL BE ABLE TO TAKE HIM HOME SOON!!  He will probably have to go home on oxygen, but after all he has been through that is not a big deal at all.

It has not been easy.  We were told several times that he would not live and he almost died a couple of times, but he is a strong little boy and is now doing really well.  He also has had to deal with a heart defect that is completely unrelated to having no fluid, but even after all that he is still doing really well.  All the Drs and nurses are amazed at how well my son is doing now.

It is truly a miracle from God that my son is doing so well!  I thank God every day that he has watched over my son.  
I am currently 20w5days with no amniotic fluid as well. My doctor said the only way the baby is still alive is from my cord. I had a pap done at 16weeks pregnant and started bleeding the day after and it hasen't stopped since. Im starting to think the pap caused my membranes to rupture. So, have any of you had a pap then the doctor notices no fluid?
I've never had a pap that far along into pregnancy, so I don't understand why your dr would do that.  Are you sure that your water broke?  You would know bc you would have a gush of fluid.  And if the dr did cause this, I'd be suing!  And it would be common to have a little bit of bleeding after a pap, but not continuous.  Why did he give you a pap anyways, were you already having problems? If your water hasn't broke, obviously if you've read the above info, you know that fluid just being gone, can happen.  Its unfortunate, but it happens.  If you haven't read the above info, I suggest you do, bc I've already put alot of stuff up there.  Hope your doing well, hang in there.
I am 19 weeks with 1/2 centimeter of amniotic fluid, Dr's say I should terminate but just can't. I am so scared but want to do whatever I can to save this baby. I am staying off my feet and drinking tons of water. I am praying for a miracle. They think I ruptured a membrane during my CVS test. Any other suggestions? Dr's are not optimistic but I feel I have to do whatever I can to save this baby.
I am so sorry to read your story. I am 19 weeks with no fliud and they want me to terminate b/c they are afraid that I will get an infection. They think my membranes were ruptured or that my water broke. Did your water break, then you got an infection or did you get the infection first? Do you have any advice for me, do you think I am crazy for not wanting to terminate? I just want to do all I can, I have come so far. Again I am so sorry for what you are going through.
we've actually considered talking to a lawyer about this. Dr. did my pap because the last one i had was 2 years ago. If i knew i had a choice to get it or not i would of said no. It was also hard to tell if my water broke because i had been bleeding for 4weeks, kinda all blended together, but for about 2days i did feel like i was "peeing my pants"

when i told the doctor this he said "well from your story it sounds like your water broke"
we also got a second oppinion from a high risk doctor at a larger hospital, he said the same thing.
im writeing on behalf of a friend 19w 3d pregnant with my 3rd baby i lost a little boy full term 1wk old  in october 2008  due to a heart problem and also have a little girl age 3 so started trying for another baby iv just learned that my baby has no ammniotic fluid and was giving 2 options to termanate the pregnacy or to get scans every wk i cant handle the fact ov losen anoyher child id rather see if my baby can make it than give up on it
having faith in god,is the most strong words and block all the bad news from the professional DR'S.i lost my son last 2002 of having infection they said the white blood cell is not enought count for my baby to survive.and now 2009 of march i got pregnant again for my 4th pregnancy.i just went last monday and i had an ultrasound they said.they couldnt find the both kidney and dont have fluid at all and im 24weeks and counting.they told me to terminate it.but i refused.i said to my self and to my husband only GOD knows how is that works.but not human who been just made from god.and also i keep my finger cross hoping nothing happens to my baby in the future.but deep in my heart i am so scared of what ever happen for the future.maybe tonite?tomorrow,next day,or next week.only GOD can tell.thats why i always pray for the miracle of my baby to survive if ever the time comes....knowing my DR'S that my baby dont have a chance to survive.but by love of my family and friends.i keep holding on to fight,what i feel now.trying to hold on and make my self occupied if i could.so i hope for thosed woman who have theese story.just pray and dont give up make our selfs stronger also for the baby.GOD BLESS US....
im soo sorry for the losses. i lost my first daughter too at 25 weeks what got me to the hospital was less fetal movement but when i got there it was too late and i did not have no amniotic fluid and no leakage and from my researches after 20 weeks gestation the fetus produces the fluid so im guessing my angel had kidney problems. Is soo hard having to go through this of losing a child now im 22 weeks pregnant again getting biweekly ultrasounds soo far everything is good thank god but im really scare. This problem with amniotic fluid is very serious it can lead to stillbirth. Good luck to all the mommies. And god bless us!
My sister is going through what most of you are or know someone that is going through about the same thing. She is a little over 4months pregant. She found out last week that the is no fluid around the baby. She has been bleeding for most of her pregancy. They gave her a week to see what might happen with the baby. The baby's heart rate last week was 167. This week is 147, they wanted to induce labor today but the hospital will not let her. Is there anyone on here that had  amnioinfusion that worked? I want her to wait to see what happens and not induce labor. Is this wrong of me? I believe that she should let nature take its course. Is it really pointless to let this pregancy go to term?  If it is Gods will then it will happen. She told me that it could be Potters Diese.(Don't know if it is spelled right).
My water broke at 17 weeks and i lost most of the the water before i reached the hospital. My CRP and infections levels were little high and was induced to terminate my first pregnancy which i concieved after 2 yrs of hope. I was also a PCOS patient and was on metformin for almost 18 months. It has been very traumatic to lose my little baby even when the heart beat was very strong after 8 hrs of the water loss. Docs suggested that we had no other option but to terminate as the baby would not survive without the amniotic fluid. Docs also said that this was rare and unheard of. But, seeing so many people go thru the same traumatic experience on this link, can we arrive at a common cause of this?

I am desparate to know the reasons which causes this PPROM.
Is it linked to PCOS? I was on Met and Susten 200(progestrone) till 12 weeks of my pregnancy. I am 31 yrs old, 5 ft and was weighing 73 Kgs when concieved. The growth of the baby was absolutely normal as per NT scan. I was on bedrest till 12 week of my preg. But had rejoined office and working till the day my water broke. What can induce this otherwise normal preg. Can stress or food stuff cause this? I am worried as for my next preg.

If we could dedude the reasons for ealry pre term water breakage shared between us, we can help ourselves for the next preg as well as others.
my daughter is 21wks and she lost all fluids last week. they wanted her to abort but she said no way. they told her the baby is in good health, kidneys heart an lungs fine for its age.she is restin up 24hrs a day an prayin hard, does anyone think this poor little one can survive cos we just dont know. lookin at most of comments on here it dont look good, we know someone who had a baby at 17wk he lived, is it possible do you think is there any chance? lynne in bradford england
by kabree
hi ladies
am really touched with all the postings. am 24 wks pregnant n i discovered ard 20 wks that there was no fluid in stomach, they told me my baby's kidneys are dialated and so is its bladder. i cried so much wen the doctors told me there was nothing they could do abt it and advised me to terminate but i jus refused.there are days i felt like not even gettin up from my bed. my baby has no movements but i can hear the heartbeat n i pray everyday. some days are good some days are bad but i ahve jus left everything in God's hands. this is our 1st baby with my husband and its been the best news we have had in a long time, now we are jus takin it each day at a time. i totally feel all the mothers' pain n i have two friends who are due this mth n sometimes it drives up the wall wen i see them so happy but i wouldnt wish this on even my worst enemy. its terriable knowing there is nothing u can do for our babies but hope for the best esp wen the docs dont give even give us a glimmer of hope. n some pipo can be so insensitive n comin from an african country pipo dont really understd how it feels. culturely spkin, pipo jus expect us to be strong n move on wen somethin happens n try again, not knowing that everybaby is unique in its own way n irreplaceable.so sometimes i jus prefer to be ard as few pipo as possible n do positive things. but ladies lets jus keep praying n hopin for the best.good luck to all of u.
I am 20 weeks pregnant i went in at 18 weeks to check the sex of the baby, my Dr sent me to a specialist as soon as she saw the ultrasound pictures. My baby boys bladder is the size of a honeydew melon and he has kidney failure bc the urine backed up from is bladder and killed his kidneys. In order for him to get fluid around him he has to pee out the urine and that is the fluid that helps there lungs grow. He can't pee so he has no fluids for his lungs to develope. So now me and my husband have to make the choice to either go threw with the pregnancy and have him not survive. Or Have a D & E. I Just don't know what the best thing is for my family. We already have three children that ask me everyday when the baby is coming they are 8, 6, and 4 so it will be so hard to explain to them that there baby brother will not be coming home with us. Please anyone that has had to go threw this tell me what you did and if it was the right thing to do.
i understand what u are going thru. i am in the same situation as you are. discovered my baby cant urinate at 20 wks n his bladder must the same size as ur baby's bladder. doctors advised me to terminate but i jus cant do that. i went in her for fortnightly u/s n they are tellin me my baby's kidneys are affected. i was told i can derliver at 32 wks n am 29wks tomoro so u can imagine my dilemma coz this is our 1st baby. i have jus left everything in God's hands. doctors are jus humans like us n they cant play God to our babies. i strongly believe we are given these gifts for specific reasons n each child is unique. be strong, pray with ur spouse n keep the faith. am jus waiting n praying for my little angel.
I had an ultrasound done at 20 wks and they sent me to specilaist wich i saw on thur and the doc reported that the baby has fluid pockets in the heart, neck and stomach, enlarged heart and no kidneys also they said that our baby has club feet which means it has some type of syndrome! CAN ANYONE HELP ME! I just keep thinking what if the baby does have kidneys and they just can't c them, I'm really really upset and i can't figure this out!
hi i was 12 weeks pregnant with my first when i started bleeding, it was painless bleeding and i got rushed to AnE, i was kept in untill the next day where i had a scan and everything showed up was fine. they thought it was a failed twin or a hemorage but said that my baby was fine. so in and out of hospital for scans and plenty of rest the next 2 weeks i then started clotting i went back to the hospital where they said i had low fluid in my babys sac he had a good strong heartbeat tho. but said it looks like i will misscarry they waited another few days to see what happend then sent me for another scan my baby was still alive but all the fluid had gone completely, i had to make the discision of waiting natually to give birth or be induced, they adviced me to be induced because id been bleeding for over 3 weeks now and was really poorly, i could get an infection so i had to be induced, after 9 hours i gave birth to my lovely baby that i miss so much and feel so bad for, but it was best for me and my baby, i then had to go on and have a blood transfusion, so im so very sorry for all u mums out there in simila situation i wish doctors could help us more as its so heartbreaking... love goes out to you all.. and my precious precious lil baby xx
i have been reading all your messages and my heart goes out to you all, i am currently 14 weeks pregnant and had a cvs performed at 12 weeks after having to terminate a previous prgenancy due to my baby having downs, a couple of days after having the cvs i lost all the water from around the baby after havinga scan and was told the chances of the water returning were very slim and was advised i could opt to terminate or carry on with the pregnancy it was up nto me to make the choices now so i decided to carry on as i could not give up that easily, i had scan the following week which showed no change at all and there was no water around the baby and no room for the baby to move, my heart was breaking but i could not give up hope, i returned for  afurther scan 1 week later to be told 2 pockets of amnio fluid had replenished and that the baby was growing fine and had room to move, i must admit i am still not out of the woods but it is great news for me and my baby, so to all of you out there try and stay strong because miracles do happen, xxxxx
My niece was told she had low fluid at about 20 weeks, they took her into the hospital and the doctor sewed her cervix shut and put her on bed rest.  4 days ago her water broke completely and they life-flighted her to a different hospital where they tried everything to prevent the birth of her son for at least 3  more days when she would be 28 weeks.  Which was yesterday.  She gave birth to a 2 lb. 2oz. baby born this morning at 6:53a.m.  He seems to be stable for now.  They told her that the chances of survival increases to 96% at 28 weeks.  I was told that a baby needed to be born after 24 hours without fluid but obviously this is not the case.  So glad for the doctors and technology they have today!  Without it my little nephew may have survived.  I am still praying for him.  Only time will tell.
My water broke Monday at 18 weeks and by Wednesday I was admitted to the hospital. The doctor said the membranes had ruptured and there was no fluid. He put me on bedrest and advised that we can wait until the baby grows, however as long as no infection and cramping sets it. The baby has a strong heartbeat, by Thursday morning infection had started and we had to deliver are baby girl. We were told she died 10 minutes after birth. This was are first baby and I have never been in more pain emotionally. All the nurses told me a baby this early would just not make it. My sister n law is also a NICU nurse and said the same. I pray for anyone going through this.
so heartbroken to read these testimonies, I was also told that this fluid dissapearance rarely happens, obviously, this thread proves otherwise.

We have 4 children, 3 angels on earth and 1 in heaven.
My 1st pregnancy was hard and I spent it in a wheelchair, due to my hips being dislocated, because of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, he was born 5w4d early, abd had the fluid he needed.

2nd pregnancy was on bedrest, but somehow I got the flu, i was diarhetic for 5 days and then started to vomit, i then saw a pattern in my stomach cramps, turned out I had gone into preterm laber @ 29w5d, he had fluid, but lungs weren't developed so he needed intubation. He has had many problems gaining weight.

3rd pregnancy was our twin girls, I went into pre-term labor @ 23w0d, the labor was stopped but sadly we had lost one baby, the other was fine, she was low in fluid but not dangerously low, so we went to weekly scans, then @28w I went into pre-term labor again, and again labor was stopped, but there was no change in fluid level from week23, 3 days later I got one hard contraction, and it did not stop for the next 3 days, I went to the hospital and was given steroids for my babies lungs to mature right away.

Drs did quite a list of tests on me.
results: I was not in labor according to one test!! (I know, I obviously was)
and the stopped the labor, I went into pre-term labor 6 hours later and that was stopped once again
2 drs also found that I had no leakage. but my daughter had absolutely no fluids left.
one doctor actually wanted to send me HOME solely because of these tests results!!
luckily for my baby the OB who knew me from my first pregnancy insisted with 3 other OBs to keep me at the hospital.
She even stayed at the hospital even though she just got off her shift, she just knew something bad was coming.
without her staying for those 8 hours extra after her workday was over already, I might have lost my second baby too.
we still don't know where the fluid went, the pathology returned to answers.
Now the amazing news! when my daughter was born, she was breathing, though she was screaming the first 29 hours, she was breathing, she only had the c-pap to help, she was exactly 3lbs, had a magnesium deficiency so she has a hard time regulating her temperature, she overheats easily. she lost 5 ounces, but steadily gained weight.
I was told that she would be in the NICU at the very least 6 weeks! when we had been there for 9 days(a tuesday) a nurse came and told me that we might be able to bring her home after 2 more weeks, the very next day (day10, wednesday) she came back and said "one more week" with a big smile on her face, then on the 11th day (thursday) she asked me if I wanted to bring her home saturday, they knew I knew how to take care of a preemie, because I had our 2nd son 9weeks early. So She went home after 13 DAYS weighing 4lbs1oz. 16inches.the reason they sent her home was because she was doing so fantastic, the only reason for keeping her was to fatten her up, they also knew I was competent to do that at home. I was told by all the staff how baffled they were, simply speechless.

I think that life support should be given to babies at least down to 20 weeks gestation, in my opinion, the problem with "viability cut-off" is that a 22 weeker can be much healthier than a 24 weeker, and will not get the chance because of a number which could easily have been miscalculated. it is a sensitive calculation. A doctor turned a mother in ontario down, because she was 2 days from the viability limit at that hospital, grotesque! She was sent to the emergency floor to give birth to her child who died after breathing for 4 hours....
if i was in labor just under the "viability cut-off"  I would lie, I would not let a doctor decide that because my baby would have to be 4-6 days or even 10 days older, to qualify for help, I would definitely lie, then it will be in the hands of God, not a doctor like that.

Sending Babydust to everyone who needs it . Best to You.

I'm sorry I had to tell the story about the viability limit, but it is definitely something worth knowing. Many parents this has happened to are angry and extremely sad and feel robbed, don't let that number control the chance Your baby has.
hi im new to this i recently lost twins at 23wks my waters went 2wks b4 they were born was told they wldn,t survive n yet they left them in 4 2 wks  didn,t get checked at all  gave birth to my son in bed pan n my daughter ad to be moved by surgery to get er owt got badly treated got called a junky
I recently went to the ER to check on my baby after having some spotting. I am 7 weeks along and the baby has no fluid. The doctor said that its a REALLY small chance that the baby will be ok but its growing too fast for the sack and since no fluid is very constricted. It has a slow heartbeat (97-101) but is within range of where is should be. I have no control over what happens now, all I can do is wait. Is there any way to reproduce fluid?
I was around 20 weeks pregnant and lost all of my amniotic fluid.  They waited a day to see if even a tiny bit would come back and it didn't.  I was already septic with an infection and had to induce labor.  My son had a heartbeat until delivery.  He was stillborn.  The chord was actually unusually long and was tied in a knot around his neck.  At about 18wks. I woke up soaked in blood and went to the doctors immediately.  I did not lose any fluid at that point and the baby was thriving. I don't know what happened in those two weeks, but obviously something terrible.  From what I understand, there is a slight chance fluid can come back, but the problem is developing the lungs.  The fluid aids in their development.  I wish I could tell you for sure, but my doctor, who is very good, said doctor's don't know everything and some things are left for God.  That is very true.  Amniofusion is a term I recently heard about, where they inject saline into the sac, but I don't know anything about it.  Please let me know how things work out.  I miss my son everyday and that happened in 2006.    
hi ive been through this to its so scary my waters broke at 22 weeks drs told me to go home i probly lose him he had only a tiny bit of fluid round him luckly drs were wrong i got transferd to womans and childrens in adelaide were my baby boy stayed in my tummy until 28 weeks apart from needing a little bit of oxygen hes healthy as now my blonde curly haired little miricle dnt let drs tell u wt to do u do wat u thinks best i did and i was right my heart gos out to u all  my sister lost her little boy the other day to bleeding and no fluid he was 17 weeks its so sad but miricles do happen just gota believe they do
Hi there. My name is Amber and I'm 18 weeks and 3 days pregnant with my first child. About 10 days ago I experienced really heavy bleeding and of coarse was scared to death- I IMMEDIATELY went to the ER. I first got an ultrasound. Afterwards the PA (physicians assistant) said that everything looked "great".. The baby had a strong heartbeat in the 160s- and showed tons of movement. She then did a pelvic exam and was shocked at how much blood there really was. She contacted my Dr. and I followed up 2 days later. During that time I was put on "pelvic rest" and told to take it easy. At my appt. we first heard the heartbeat which was 144 (this was what the heartrate usually was) and then she did a pelvic exam. My cervix was closed and "rock hard" which was how it should be. I was then sent to do an ultrasound and everything looked good at that time. I was told the my cervix was a little short which could present a problem but it was "just a little short", measuring at about 2.4 cm when they want it to be around 3
I went home and 2 days later I woke up to more blood- this time accompanied by HUGE blood clots. I passed about 10-15 that day all ranging in sizes from a half dollar to bigger than gold balls.
Today I went to Obstetrics and unfortunately was given bad news. The ultrasound showed little to no amniotic fluid around the baby. The baby did still have a heartbeat which was 132- along with both kidneys and a blatter- both full of liquid.
I was then brought to the hospital where they used a speclum to once again check out my cervix. I was told that it looked a little open on the outside but felt closed on the inside- and they also did a cotton swab test to see if amnioctic fluid was present.
Both cotton swabs came back negative for amniotic fluid but still the doctors were sure that it ruptured and/or my water broke- saying both must have been false negatives. My options at that point were to induce labor to terminate to avoid infection and all that- or wait. To be honest I almost felt "pushed" to terminate which if it were not for my mother I probably would have.
Extremely upset and not knowing what to do I called my mom who is an RN told me that at the first signs of something being wrong I shouldnt jump to termination.. and that doctors can be wrong! She said that if it were her she would wait a little longer. -If the baby didnt have kidneys there would be no chance but the kidneys and the blatter both create the fluid..and my baby had both of these. she told me that small tares also are able to repair themself. My babys prognosis is still not that great- but miracles happen and Im keeping my fingers crossed. I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years and without contraception I havent been able to conceive until now.. I cant give up just yet.
After reading all the posts on this sight I am so much more hopeful- thank you to all that shared. I was not told about amniofusion- steroid shots.. wasnt told that it was possible to be without fluid for weeks and be able to still have my child.
I ask that whoever is reading out there can possibly pray for me and mine because the power of prayer is amazing. I am going back in for an ultrasound in 1 week and in the mean time drinking lots of fluids along with watching carefully for signs of infection (fever, cramping, blood). Thank you! Also any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Hi julie, this is my story after having an amnio. I hope it turns out better for u. From beginning it wasn't a difficult decision to have further testing after obtaining a high risk nuchal result. It was the pappa level that was low. Risk being 1:158. I'm only 27 and prior to this pregnancy I had already had 3 miscarriages all before 10 weeks. Not knowing why this was made it even more necessary to know for sure if our baby had a chromosomal defect. If in fact it did then we would decide to terminate. We have a 3 yr old son and would not nowingly carry on a pregnancy that would result in a child needing constant care that we could not give. So we decided to go with the cvs and on the day of after discussing with the obstetrician decided on an amino 1. Less risk 2. Retroverted uterus3. Bleeding in early pregnancy4. The low pappa can indicate a placental problem. So these factors would increase the risk to what it would already be. 3 weeks later we had the amino which was straight forward . I was only home for about 2 hours when I started leaking fluid. I had 2 gushes of fluid. Next morning I went back for an ultrasound to check fluid levels. There were 3 very small pockets of fluid and that was it. Put on bed rest and in the hope the fluid would reaccumulate/ replenish over a couple of weeks. Note - sac still intact and cervix closed. Monitored for infection and after waiting 2 weeks till 17 weeks of pregnancy we were operculum the fluid was back as I hadn't had any leaks to my knowledge. Well the scan showed even less fluid and growth was just under what it should be. We decided to terminate the pregnancy as the likelihood of deformities was high and very minimal to no chance that The fluid would come back. We induced labour and our little girl was born . The most traumatic day of our lives. Our girl was perfectly normal as the rapid fish study showed. We don't regret our decision at all even now knowing she was normal. So if u want to know and there is the risk of loosing a normal baby my case is rare and extremely unlucky. I may have been going to miscarry anyway who knows. I was at a higher risk of miscarrying on my own accord than with having the amino . Very tough loosing our little girl. 
Hi Iam on my 25 weeks now, everythings ok for my check up and results but I always feel  cramps from my tummy down to my legs I told this to my doctor but he says its normal but I feel very unusual for me.
I am afraid to have a problem about the low amniotic fluid problem.
Can anyone give me the answer what is amniotic fluid and why happen that to? why its very common problem to the pregnant women?
I appreciate to those who give an answer.
I am lost my fluids 8 days ago and I am having a very hard time dealing with this. I am completely ready for my baby,the day my water broke I had made arrangements to buy his crib later in the night. I want more than anything for my baby to survive and the doctor will give no hope! He refused to replace the water and only gave me an anti biotic for 7 days and bedrest. Two days ago they released me from the hospital AND TOLD ME TO GO HOME AND MAINTAIN NORMAL ACTIVITIES AND THAT DRINKING EXTRA FLUID OR WALKING WOULDNT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN MY BABIES DELOPMENT.Thank heaven I had more sense and have remained on bedrest as much as I possibly can other than bathroom breaks and cravings when my fiance cannot help,due to work.
I have been very hopeful for a miracle and cannot imagine giving up on our little angel! They have offered to terminate every single day, sometimes more often than once. I lost patience and said |Do not even offer that again! So long as he has a heart beat and still moving without too much restriction I can hope and pray I heal. Giving up would leave me feeling tortured for the rest of my life. My baby is fighting for life and we (my fiance, myself, my 11 yr old daughter and our families are all steadily begging doctors to help and praying for our baby to somehow get through this so we may all have him to love. Since reading so many sad stories I was feeling hopeless and I am broken but your comment made me feel hope again. I am leakinglesss fluids and later each day, my babies heart beat is perfect and he is very active. They will not give me amnioinfusions or streroids. Is there any advice you have for us.. I am sooo happy for your baby!! Is this up to date...I will pray for your family please keep us in yours :) Good luck God bless and thanks for the reply :)
I just lost my fluid 8 days ago and they sent me home 2 days ago and said to resume normal activities! I am staying on bedrest by choice as a desperate effort to save my baby. How far are you now and how are you doing.
I lost my fluids completely 8 days ago, my babies heart beat is strong an devery day I see fewer fluid and the ppast couple days hardly any. The doctors sent me home two days ago and said to maintain normal activities! He will give no hope..I am staying on bed rest by choice. How are you doing now...has anything changed..
I am 17wks and 4days and I am having faternal twins there is no room for one of my babies to move or grow anymore and the kidney it developed is bad my babie is getting no atomic fluid and is wedged in-between my ribs which I am not getting any bigger and can barely eat but I am very thirsty also my stomach is hurting bad and i have epilespsy what is there for me to do the Docter said it's in gods hands now there is nothing for him to do but monitor my pregnancy weekly!
The same exact thing happened to me, 22 weeks 3 days, no fluid. My son was born 1 lb 2 oz & we also held him for 3 hours. Im still waiting for the results of my placenta biopsy, they said they think it was an infection also. I feel as though they could have done more to try and help me & the baby especially since he was born alive and trying to live. Literally our stories are exactly the same it's scary.
I lost all my fluids completely at 22 weeks. Dr's offered no hope. I started to go into labor on my own but everything happened so fast I felt as though I couldnt make an informed decision, I was already 3 centimeters dialted, they said if I decided not to be induced I would be sent home & I was petrified of delivering my baby at home by myself (I have a 2 year old also)so I allowed them to induce me further. My baby had a strong heartbeat even after birth but they refused to even make a move to help him after he was born, the worst feeling in the world was watching his heart continue to beat and them not helping him, all I could do was hold him close to me & comfort him. Now that I am brave enough to research everything online, I have alot of questions for the doctors on if things could have been done differently & if it would have even made a difference.
did you ever had another baby?did they tell you why your water broke?
thank you
hey what happened? i am in the same boat...
hi i was told the same thing your sister was told im now 27 weeks tomo i wish your sister good luck with everything im being admitted into the hospital on the 25th of sept so they can keep a closer eye on the baby
I'm so sorry for all who as lost they baby's I was tolled yesterday that my amnionic fluid is low an I'm only 15 weeks
I lost all of my fluid at 18 weeks, I was told that there was an 80% chance that when she was born she would not be able to take her 1st breath.  She was born in Dec 2002, she is 10 yrs old now.  Against doctors advice I chose to carry her.  I was sent home and put on bed rest (with a 4 yr old son) at 23 weeks they admitted me into the hospital, I was there in bed with almost daily u/s, at 34 weeks they induced and she was born.  Her left lung collapsed with her 1st breath but she is alive and well.  She has asthma but that is really the only lasting effects.  The 1st couple of years were hard but it was well worth it.  
So sorry for everyone's losses.

Normal fluid is between 10-20cm. 5-10 is monitored and anything under 5, they take the baby. I was 32-33 weeks when they found my fluid depleting rapidly. At 34-35 weeks, it was at 5cm. My doctor was going to induce me, but he called a specialists that said as long as both our vitals were fine, keep him in. I did my research, caffeine takes away fluid, heavy lifting, and high blood pressure are the big main reasons. I stuck to 8 - 8 ounces of water a day, and at 36 weeks, my fluid is now at 7.7cm. The baby urinates, and puts fluid into the sac. If you're dehydrated, and not drinking enough, so is your baby. water, water, water!! (I'm so sick of it, but it will all be worth it)
i am 19 weeks right now and i lost all my fluid at week 18. i am being monitored very closely. they (the dr's) are telling me my chances are about 10 % for a positive outcome. i am on bed rest right now and drinking a ton of water everyday but i cant seem to keep any fluid in. the dr have suggested terminating the pregnancy, im not sure if i can do that or not. i just need some advice from someone who has been there. All my family are telling to try and fight the odds, an amenioinfusion is not the right thing for me as my doctors are telling me.
My wife and I just saw a specialist today and found out that the amniotic fluid is at 2.5 and they like to see it at around 5.  They mentioned that it looked like the baby had both kidneys but would not rule out the lack of function.  The bladder appeared to not have any fluid but with the baby not having much room to move around, it was hard to see everything.  They couldn't even determine the sex of the baby.  The positives are they thought they saw both kidneys, the AF is at least some at 2.5 but not the 5 they would like to see.  The one scare is not having fluid in the bladder from what they could see.  Anyone else have similar news and on the next ultrasound things turned out to be fine or do you think this is the beginning of bad news?
I hope you don't mind me asking, What was the reason that you had no amniotic fluid? I was told two weeks ago that I barely have any and there is nothing they can do. I don't know what to do for the best my head is all over the place. Your story makes me hopeful, that a mirale can happen
At 13 weeks, perintologist told me that I have no fluids and that my baby will not surive.  At 19 weeks, I wanted a seond and third opinions so, I went and see two fetal specialist.  Both, fetal specialist deliver the same disappointing news but worst.  They added that they couldn't detect any kidney or even a badder.  As of right now, I am out of option.  I will keep my hope up and pray that my baby will proof all three doctors wrong.
Im 24 weeks and was told 2 weeks ago that I have low to now no fluid and iv been in the hospital now 15 days the babys heartbeat is still very strong but im so scared that I have to prepare for the worst!!!! they said this might be due to my diabetes and I also have placenta previa which I cant even get a ammnio fluid transplant....I only have my faith and GOD to depend on day by day.....and iv drank soooo much the last 2 weeks and nothing gives
My daughter-in-law is the same. Her waters broke at 21 wks 6 days and she has been on bed rest since. She is 22 wks 5 days today and her baby girl is still beating strong.
She only has 2.5 cm of amniotic fluid and it is not increasing. The hospital will not resuscitate before 24 wks so she needs to hold onto her till then, and longer if she can.  The dangers of having no fluid is not good but we are just hoping for a miracle and that both baby and mum will get through the next 9 days till they are in the saving age range, so to speak.
After reading these stories it gives us hope.
Kiwi girls
my son was born 29 days ago and only lasted 12 hours do to his lungs being underdeveloped (no fluid since 22 weeks) we want to try again.... not that we will ever forget Jr. but i was wondering if anyone has had a healthy pregnancy after experiencing a loss due to no fluid and underdeveloped parts ?????