Pregnancy 18-24 Community
No fetal heatbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

No fetal heatbeat

I usually have a period at the end of the month. October was a crazy month with a lot going on and dont remember when my period was but am sure it was twards the end. Nov. i didnt have one. Dec 6th I took a home pregnanct test and it was positive. Dec 17th I went to the doc. When he did the physical exam he said I was very early! Because I mentioned over the phone I was felt worried and wanted to hear a heart beat; he said he would do a transvaginal u/s. During the transvaginal he could not find a heart beat. he called another doc in and she could not either. I remember them discussinf that the saw a yolk sac but i was so emotional i nver comfirmed what i heard. regardless they told me there is no heart beat and that i am either 5 weeks or less or its not a viable pregnancy and i will misscarry. they did blood work to test my hgc levels and I go back tomorrow (the 21st) to have the hgc tested again. if they are the same or dropping they says its bad news (misscarriage); the good news would be that they have gone up. but i wont get results till wed.
I am so freaked out and confused! what would you think? is there hope?
(I have a 3yr old son. that pregnancy and labor was 100% perfect!)
You wouldn't hear a heartbeat at 5weeks pregnant, this is why in the UK we don't hae scans until the 12th week into a pregnancy as you can see and hear more.  I wouldn't get to upset yet, i wish you loads of luck
Try to just wait it out, and don't worry. Also don't let them tell you anything definite yet one way or another.  My doctor won't do an U/S until almost 10 weeks.  I'm really excited and anxious to get the u/s as I want to know everything is okay, but when I asked them at 6 weeks to do it, they said firmly to wait.  On the physical exam she said I have a small uterus. (Hope that's not bad!) LoL.  I'm 6w4d.

Hang in there. You've already had one good pregnancy and that could be a good indicator.  I know it's so hard to wait!  Good luck.

@gillianl- thanks that is good to know the UK doesn't do it until 12 weeks, now I feel a little better about my doc!  xx
Thank you so much!!!! Your advice has been with me all day and made me feel so much better; THANK YOU!