Pregnancy 18-24 Community
No fluid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

No fluid

I was pregnant last Feb and had to terminate the pregnancy due to me being high risk.  I had a chil 2 years ago and was classified as High risk and everything was all right, but this time we decided to terminate the pregnancy and place an IUD to prevent any future pregnancies.  We yesterday I found out I am 6 months pregnant and the only thing that teh doctor did in Feb was remove the membrane so the baby has been with out fluid for 5 months.  The intitial ultra sound did not show any problems but I am having an MRI done to confirm.  The baby was breathing, there was a heartbeat, I can feel the baby move around.  I am too far along to terminate and its was hoping there were any suggestions out there?  I have been drinking lots of water through out the past 6 months, but any advice or suggestions is appriciated.
I dont understand??

you terminated the pregnancy due to being high risk??
What does that mean? Does it mean the amnionic fluid is not there and the baby is not in a sac of water? Call me dumb but don't they need fluid to grow and survive? Are they going to take the baby early?

I'm not a doctor but that just sounds impossible.  What did they say will happen to your precious baby? Does the skin develope properly?
I think she means, She went in to terminated but the Dr. didnt do it right and all he did was remove the membranes.....
there was a post somewheres about having low or no fluid, that may have some answers for you. consider yourself blessed with this child, i hope everything is all right.
I have had no amniotic fluid for 5 months.  
you have had no amniotic fluid for 5 months, and your saying that the baby is still alive?  is this really what your trying to say?
Wow, and the baby survived. That is one tough tot.
At this point being high risk you are just going to be monitored very closely.
More than likely they will take the baby early.
Have you had a U/S and did it confirm that there is NO amniotic fluid?
I found this info in an article. Maybe it will help:

Doctors use various methods to measure amniotic fluid levels, but the most common test is an amniotic fluid index evaluation, or deep pocket measurement. Your doctor will measure the largest pockets of amniotic fluid in four different sections of your uterus and evaluate the combined measurements against the amniotic fluid index (AFI). A normal level for a woman in her third trimester is between 5 and 25 centimeters (cm). Oligohydramnios is suspected if an AFI shows a fluid level of less than 5 centimeters (or less than the 5th percentile), the absence of a single fluid pocket 2 to 3 cm in depth, or a fluid volume of less than 500mL at 32 to 36 weeks gestation. The treatment for oligohydramnios varies depending on gestational age. If you are not full tem yet, your doctor will monitor you and your fluid levels very closely and may perform tests such as non-stress and contraction stress tests to monitor your baby's activity. If you are close to full term, your doctor may recommend you be induced and deliver your baby early. Other treatments include:

Amnio-infusion during labor using an intrauterine catheter. This process injects fluid directly into the uterus to help cushion the umbilical cord during delivery and lower the chances of a cesarean delivery.

Injection of fluid prior to delivery through amniocentesis. Although oligohydramnios often returns soon after this procedure, it can help your doctor visualize the fetal anatomy and accurately determine fetal development.

Maternal re-hydration with oral fluids or IV fluids has shown to help increase amniotic fluid levels.

If you are diagnosed with oligohydramnios, it is important that you continue to eat well, drink lots of fluids (water is best), rest as much as possible, avoid smoking and report any signs of preterm labor to your health care provider right away.

What did the doctor tell you? I didnt think a baby could survive without fluid. But you said there was a HB and movement??
Anhydramnios is when there is no to so little of amniotic fluid available to the baby. I can't seem to find anything good about that. Alot of the sites that I have looked at were medical journals and papers. They all said that the baby is usually delivered with severe deformities or problems although I did run a across a few miracle babies that were born completely healthy. Hopefully there is a good chance that they can help at this point. I have to ask, what sort of complications are we talking about other than lack of amniotic fluid put you at such high risk?
First of all if the waters have been ruptured you and the baby are at risk of severe infection.  Your body SHOULD continue to produce amniotic fluid so long as you are drinking plenty of fluids.  At this point you are 6 mos along.  When you say high risk....what factors make it so?  Is there a severe risk to YOUR life?  My opinion is that you should do everything you can to bring the pregnancy to term and have this baby as healthy as possible.  As you said it's too late to terminate but it would be horrible to allow this child to suffer now.  I think you need to get some seriously good prenatal care at this point.
Thats a crazy story!! And a special baby!!
are you serious? omg this child is a blessing...please tell me you want it!!!!!!
i am confused but i am no dr....i wish you and your baby the best! thats a miracle baby if i can say so myself
your baby is a MIRACLE!!!!!!! ----------- Please Tell EVeryone that You want it to Be HEALTHY!!!!!!! Your child is a true Blessing
The doctor removed the membrane from the previous pregnancy. Therefore this new pregnancy would create it's own membrane.

I would think that you'd be on bedrest, in a hospital, being monitored if there is in all actuality no amniotic fluid.
LADIES THIS POST IS FROM 2008! :) Just thought I'd mention it.
well that makes this post even better..........so what was the outcome or her pregnancy
IDK she hasn't posted anymore according to her profile.
Even though the posting is over 1 year old, my heart goes out to her for her dilemna. I too am struggling with my own since I too have just been told that I have low amniotic fluid and I am just now entering my 19th week of pregnancy. All of my tests up until this point were great - everything was perfect and I had enough fluid. Then, 3 days ago, I went back to the doctor for my monthly check-up and the fluid is gone. He used an Amnitest which showed that there is no leakage and then sent me to a specialist who confirmed that my baby's kidneys were there - in fact, there was even urine in its bladder. That said, we are back to square one - what on earth is wrong with me? The doctor is also stomped. 3 days later (yesterday) he performs other test to see if I was having a leakage and still, the test says no. Also, he does a u/s again and even after all the fluids I have been drinking over the last 3 days, I'm still at the same levels. Meanwhile, my baby is kicking and moving like crazy. I am just so distressed and distraught - not to mention, this is my first pregnancy. I am now on bedrest, trying to drink as much fluid as possible and praying for a miracle. I'm now wondering if my little one might have some chromosomal issues, but if so, why did my test come back in good form. Any ideas out there from anyone what it could be? If I don't get a resolution soon, it looks like we're heading for termination because the doctor says the baby cannot survive and develop properly over time with such little fluid.
Naomi~ I am messaging you.
If i understand right, the doctor didnt terminate the pregnancy as planned and now threatened the life of your baby. Im no lawyer but couldnt you have a lawsuit on your hands? I hope and pray the best for you. Your baby sounds like a fighter. Bless its little heart.
I am going through a similar situation as you, so I know the emotional ride you are on.  I am 19 weeks pregnant and have been losing fluid for about 3 weeks after having an amnio done for increased risk of a chromosome disorder.  The test came back fine, but now with no fluid, we too have to decide whether to continue with the pregnancy or terminate.  What they can see, my baby boy seems to be developing at a normal rate.  I have a beautiful 2 year old daughter, and am finding this decision the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with.  Did your situtation improve?  How do I make this decision?
I HAVE DESAME ECSACTLY SITUATION THAT SHE HAD.AND IM STILL PREGNANT.ABOUT 6MOTHS NOW.I JUST WENT TO MY OBGYNE.BUT EVRYTHING WENT WRONG.I BEEN TROUGHT A LOT OF TEST LIKE MY DR'S WANT ME TO DO.THEN WHEN I HAD MY ULTRASOUND IT DIDNT SOUND RIGHT THAT SHE COULDNT FIND ANY KIND OF KIDNEY AND DONT HAVE FULID AT ALL.THEY WERE ASKING ME TO DO THE TERMINATION TOO,BUT I DECIDED TO KEEP MY PREGNANCY AND SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN.I HAVE A LOT OF FAITH IN GOD.ONLY GOD CAN TELL WHATS GONNA HAPPEN.I KNOW ITS HARD I PUT MYSELF IN TO A DECISION THAT EVEN MYSELF COULD BE ON RISK.I NEVER QUESTIONING GOD WHY IS THIS HAPPEN.WHEN I HEARD THAT BAD NEWS FROM ALL THE DIFFERENT DR'S.I WAS SO DEPPRESSED.BUT LIKE WHAT I SAID MY FRIENDS MY RELATIVES AND HAVE A GOOD FAITH IN GOD IS THE MOST POWERFULL TO DO BY PRAYIN.I MAKE MY FINGERS CROSS TO HAVE MIRACLE.WHENEVER THE BABY WANTS TO GET OUT ON MY WOMB.I LET THE GOD DO HIS JOB FOR MY BABY.BUT ILL NEVER GIVING UP MY BABY BECAUSED THEY SAID SO.THERE NOT GOD.IT MIGHT BE TRUE THAT THERE IS NO CHANCE FOR MY BABY NOT HAVING KIDNEY AND NOT HAVING FLUID BUT ONLY ONE THING I CAN SAY.ONLY GOD COULD TAKE AWAY MY BABY FROM ME.ALWAYS HAVE FAITH IN GOD.BE STRONG AS I AM NOW.KNOWING ITS HARD TO OUR SELF ITS HARD AND ITS HURT.ALL I ASK NOW IS PRAYING FOR MIRACLE FOR MY BABY RIGHT NOW AND EVRYDAY FOR MY BABY TO SURVIVE.THANKS...
It's hard to deal with the fact of having no fluid around the baby. My water broke while I was sleeping at 23 weeks. I went to my local hospital and they ambulance me to the University Hospital. I have been here now for 2 weeks going on 25 weeks with no fluid. I was told when I first got here that we had a 30% chance of our baby surviving. They gave me two steroid shots so the baby's lungs would start to develop. I was also on an IV for a week and took antibotics for a week so the baby wouldn't get an infection. It's a very hard stuggle but I am holding on. Two weeks ago, he weighed a pound 6 ounces. This is my second and I am having a boy. Doctors don't have an explanation as to why my water broke. He has a great heartbeat and is very active. So pretty much I am just laying here in the hospital room waiting for my baby to make a decision. Luckly I haven't had any contractions and my cervix is closed. At this hospital they will induce you at 34 weeks.
WELL I'M 25 WEEKS AND I HAVEN'T HAD FLUID PRETTY MUCH THROUGH OUT MY WHOLE PREGNANCY AND MY BABY IS MOVING AND HAS A GREAT HEART BEAT CAUSE GOD IS GOOD! HE DONT COME EVERYTIME  YOU NEED HIM BUT HE IS RIGHT ON TIME! I LOVE MY CHILD AND I KNOW ITS GONNA MAKE IT BUT THE DOCTORS DONT THINK SO. MY BABY HAVE KIDNEYS BUT LUNGS ARE NOT GROWING PROPERLY BUT I KNOW HE OR SHE WILL MAKE IT CAUSE I DONT ONLY BELIEVE IN GOD  THIS IS HES BODY AND HIS CHILD AND HE HAS THE LAST SAY IN THIS ALL! GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND I PRAY FOR YOUR CHILD AS WELL AS MINES PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPEN WITH YOUR BABY LOVE ROBIN
I am almost 20 weeks and I went for my 20 week sono today. They said my anmnio fluid was very low and sent me to a specialist. the Dr said I had NO amnio fluid and said that is was because the babies kidneys arent functioning properly. basicly said there is absolutly no hope and said we can keep the baby, and go full term if the baby survives, but he said once born it will never survive. It has a strong heartbeat and everything else seems fine, but he reccomends a termination. How do u terminate when the baby has a strong heartbeat?? Please HELP!
My water broke at 17 weeks and i lost most of the the water before i reached the hospital. My CRP and infections levels were little high and was induced to terminate my first pregnancy which i concieved after 2 yrs of hope. I was also a PCOS patient and was on metformin for almost 18 months. It has been very traumatic to lose my little baby even when the heart beat was very strong after 8 hrs of the water loss. Docs suggested that we had no other option but to terminate as the baby would not survive without the amniotic fluid. Docs also said that this was rare and unheard of. But, seeing so many people go thru the same traumatic experience on this link, can we arrive at a common cause of this?

I am desparate to know the reasons which causes this PPROM.
Is it linked to PCOS? I was on Met and Susten 200(progestrone) till 12 weeks of my pregnancy. I am 31 yrs old, 5 ft and was weighing 73 Kgs when concieved. The growth of the baby was absolutely normal as per NT scan. I was on bedrest till 12 week of my preg. But had rejoined office and working till the day my water broke. What can induce this otherwise normal preg. Can stress or food stuff cause this? I am worried as for my next preg.

If we could dedude the reasons for ealry pre term water breakage shared between us, we can help ourselves for the next preg as well as others.

my waters broke at 20 weeks n was told i would have to terminate the pregnancy, they said my  little girl wouldnt survive and due to medical problems of mine i had to have my misscarage in a controlled enviroment most women get the option to either terminate the pregnancy or wait for mother nature to run its course i would of prefered this to the termanation, reaading sum of theses bloggs im now confused, even though  there was only a tiny bit of fluid left around her could she have survived i dont know if i was miss informed by the doctors and my baby girl could have been saved
My wife has been told that the baby has no amniotic fluid and we where also told that the baby would eventually pass away. However we have decided to let mother nature decide what will happen. The baby has a strong heartbeat and everything is ok except in an ultrasound they said that they couldn't see the kidney's so this could either mean the baby has no kidneys or they can't see the kidney because of lack of fluid doesn't give them good visibility in the ultrasound. We are still keeping are hopes up and wishing for the best.
I had a baby at 23 weeks and had a dry birth due to PROM. The fluid will replinish and the fluid doubles around 23-25 weeks So anyone who has low fluid levels before that it can fix itself even later. Anyone with this problem should be in the hospital for the remender of the pregnancy to monitor the baby.

As for the post from a year ago, I was very confused as well but Joy said that the membranes where from the previous baby. I have had 4 preterm babies and am high risk and pregnant with my 5th now. High risk is NO WAY a reason to terminate unless the mother is about to die! Not could in time but is very sick and things were tried to help but it is not worth it! It sounded to me like she did not really want the baby to begin with! Also that it was an abortion and not done for high risk, in my opinion.

TO the last poster I think you made a good decision to let nature take its course and what happens will happen. There are always miricle babies out there!!! I hope the baby makes it and is healthy.
I am now 17 weeks and 3days .Two weeks ago I went to the ER w/t a watery discharge, there I was tested and had an scan witch was perfectly fine w/t the right amount of fluids. The dr. told me i just had a vaginal infection. Well this monday I went for my reg. visit my dr. and my ultrasound showed very little fluids .Dr. gave me only 15% chance and option of abortion. Baby has strong heart beat it seems fine .I chose to wait take my chances and see what happens. Now I staying at home drinking lots of fluids and praying to god everything to be alright. I wonder could there be something wrong with me ? I have a beautiful 3 and ½ old daughter witch was a great pregnancy. This past year has just been very difficult for me I also had a miscarriage in sept of 09.I am going to see my dr. on Monday and I hope they have better news for me .We have to stay positive and hope for the best if it is meant to be it will with god’s will.
im am 30 weeks now i came to the hospital when i was 23 weeks and my water was leaking i had an ultrasound twice a week and everytime i went i had some fluid but not much these past few weeks it gotten lower and lower now i have none..i have been in the hospital for almost 8 weeks and im 200 miles away from home..when my water started to leak they wanted to send me to the best hospital and they did i thought i was going to loose my little baby girl...she now weights 3 pounds and im on continous monitoring..her heart beat has been going up and down where i dont have no fluid she hardly has no room to move and she wants to push on her cord alot..shes very active but im at a 90% chance of survival when i came here i had a 30% so I think god everyday for helping me out..Im just hoping i dont get an infection..this is my second child my first one didnt make it either he was stillborn and i tried for a year to get this little miricle..i just pray for every women out there..I understand what your going threw..its very hard i could never terminate my pregency there angels from above..
They didnt remove your baby. I had a termination last Nov i was 5 and a half months or something. Mine was removed alright, but my womb wouldnt heal for a certain amount of months. But that happens after giving birth as well right?

They should have removed the WHOLE baby, or given you a pill, not removed the membrane.Your baby is magic, and you should guard it with your life :)

I hope everything is okay, and you might feel differently when your baby is born. Having  termination was the worst thing I have ever done and I wish I never done it and I dont wish that situation of having one upon anyone. Cause it destroyed me. But then again I like you done it for the best, I was ill living in a refuge, running away from a domestic voilence issue, AND I had an eating disorder throughout obviously the whole of the time I was pregnant, i also done everything wrong (Dyed my hair, i was on very strong medication that would of damaged my baby).

But now you have it, I wouldnt let it go tbh. If you were sad about terminating it nows your chancee to be like WOW! my baby is a fighterr.

You're very lucky

I wish you the very best x
If you don't have any amniotic fluid, your baby can live inside your womb but it's lungs will not be able to develop without the fluid so it will suffucate without lungs once born. You need to get to the hospital right away ...without fluid you are at a very high risk for infection!
My friend had PROM when she was 15 weeks prego, she lost ALL her fluid. Her Dr. told her she needed to terminate because of the risk of infection to her.  She chose to not terminate and let God decide when and how he wanted the baby to be taken. Her water was gone for 1 full week and then it just came back...every bit of it! Dr's said they had never seen anything like it before and she is now 36 weeks pregnant with a healthy thriving baby boy.
THIS POST IS FROM 2008! I just noticed that
Hi Congrats on the new baby girl she's beautiful! I reason for writing is because i'm the same situation your friend was in. I'm was 14wks prego when my water broke no contractions and dr's told me my baby would'nt make it without amniotic fluid, so i had two options. Wait it out with strict bedrest and or terminate. What was your friend remedy for getting her sac to seal and for that week what was some of her syptoms (symptoms) leading up to her dr's appt? Thanks
my waters broke at 18weeks, i have been steadily losing fluid since then and now i'm at 21 weeks.  I've been on strict bedrest in hospital now for 3 weeks.  4 days ago i also started bleeding small amounts on and off throughout the day and night.  my ultrasound yesterday showed i have 16mls of amniotic fluid surrounding the baby - but despite all this her heart is still beating normally, and i feel her move a lot.  i'm told if i get an infection they will need to induce me and this means she will not survive as i'm too early for even the best medical interventions to help.  I'm praying for a miracle - i know this is the only way she will survive and be healthy.  anyone else out there had a happy putcome to such low levels of fluid???? - i'm hanging on to any hope right now. i know God could save his little baby if that is his wish - for now i hangin there waiting to see what develops day by day - but it is such an emotional rollercoaster.
How are things going?- did you have your baby? did she survive? how were her lungs ? I have been in the same boat since 18 weeks - i have 3 teaspoons of fluid left - and likely to have literally none by the end of the week.  But she still lives on inside of me.  I'm praying for a miracle - would you let me know your outcome?
my waters broke at 15 weeks i had to go on antibiotics and have regular scans and have my bloods taken twice a week i stayed in hospital 6 weeks and eventually after numerous big bleeds i ended up with my cord prolapsing at 28 weeks pregnant ,my baby girl weighed 2lb2oz and spent 12 weeks in neonatal unit but she suvived and so did i without any infections setting in although my white cell count was up and down like a yoyo i did get an infection and they talked about terminating my baby as they said i was at risk of septis,but my infection was a tooth absess (abscess) , see they know you have an infection but they dont know where it is it could be in ur big toe for all they know anyway my baby is 6months old now and weighs 9lb 2 oz and doing really well
Hello my water broke at 19 weeks, i have been in the hospital on bedrest for 2 weeks. I am now 21 weeks and my AFI is still at and between 1.2 cm. I am very concerned. I want to be certain that my baby lungs develop properly. This wait it out and see is very stressful!! I am calling on u Lord. Please take this wheel and lead me to what is best for my only and first little boy. Only u Know!! I would love to hear some success stories from the previous post.
Hi I'm 26 weeks I was told my baby has large kidneys due to an jbstuction in the bladder so due to that baby hasn't got much water around the baby ,I don't no what to do or to think I really want things to get better but doctors haven't even suggested anything which could help the situation
I know you posted this 3yrs ago but I would like to say God bless you!! It's like I'm reading my own story. Is there any way we can talk if so please message me back. I need someone who went through what I am going through.
Hi I would love to know your outcome bc I just went through something similar. Please message me back.
Please if you get this will u message me back. I just delivered my child June 21 2012 and the outcome was not what I was hoping/praying for. I need some one who went through the same as I.
I just went through the same thing please message me back if u get this
Hi I was in the same boat as u or maybe a little more worse than yours. My due date was July 27 2012 but I had my baby June 21 2012. Please message me back as I would like to here how things are going with u and I can tell u how things went with me.
Hi sorry to hear that you're going through the exact same thing I went through. My due date was 07-27-12 but I had my baby 06-21-12. I would love to talk to you about how things are going with u and I hope all is well n I would like to share my story if u would care to listen. Please message me back.
Im 24 weeks and i have no amniotic fluid.that caused my babys lungs not to grow and his chest is small.i got a mri and his spine is a little cricked.he has a strong heartbeat and i feel movements.supposly hos bladder ruptured caused from a blockage and his urine wasnt able to go anywhere....witch stayed in his abdomen.i was told my baby will not survive after birth or he might be stillborn.im hoping and praying god will do a miracle.for now im just enjoying his movements