Pregnancy 18-24 Community
OT - My 10 Year Old thinks she is fat
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

OT - My 10 Year Old thinks she is fat

Okay, this is a bit off topic, but alot of you have children around my daughter's age. A friend of my daughter's at school told her that she was getting "chunky" and that she should consider going on a diet. My daughter was very upset one afternoon after coming home and I sat down to talk to her and found out that this is why. I then had my daughter step on the scale and write it down and I then had her help me measure her height. She weighs 85 lbs and was 56 inches tall (4 foot 8 inches if my calculations are correct). I then went to a children's BMI calculator on the web. Her BMI was 19.1 which puts her at the 78th percentile. A child is at risk of becoming overweight if they are in the 85th - 95th percentile and overweight if they are over the 95th percentile. Well, that seemed to definitely help. But then, the school does these yearly health check-ups and they have added BMI to this years health screening. Their measurements put her at the 85th percentile and now she is back to thinking that she is fat. Everytime, I asked her if she was hungry this weekend, she would say no. I would have to say well, you haven't eaten anything since breakfast, why don't you try to eat something. You don't have to eat all of it, just some of it. She had 2 pieces of toast with butter Saturday morning for breakfast, a piece of fruit and a half a sandwich for lunch, and then would only eat 2-3 bites of raviolis (I know not the healthiest, but my kitchen is gutted right now for the installer to put new cabinets in today). Then on Sunday, I got her to eat two eggs with a sprinkling of cheese and 2 pieces of toast with butter for breakfast, for lunch she refused to eat. Last night DH made turkey burgers on the grill and she said she wasn't hungry at all. Odd because turkey burgers are her favorite. I finally got her to eat half a turkey burger. I found a website this am for kids to learn about healthy eating and exercise. It has a food pyramid, etc. So, I plan on going through some of the pages with her, but there has to be something else. I need to nip this behavior in the bud now. She's only in the 4th grade and this is the kind of behavior I would expect in middle school or high school. I'm thinking the website is a good place to start and that it will open up the communication, but I just feel lost. Any ideas?