Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Okay to do yoga after you give birth?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Okay to do yoga after you give birth?

I know excercise is a no no but I have been doing yoga since before I was pregnant and during my pregnancy. Not pregnancy yoga but regular yoga. I have a class tomorrow for an hour and was just going to go to it but then I got to thinking. Could it be dangerous? My daughter will be exactly one week old and I have two stitches in my whoo-ha. Do you think it could rip them even if I took it easy? Also do you think it will mess with my milk supply? I figured I would pump before I went so DH could feed her if she gets hungry while im away but I dont want it to effect future milk production. So ladies... good idea or no?
You could ask your doctor and see what they recommend. When I was discharged from the hospital I was told I couldn't do anything for two weeks, which was limiting the amount I went up stairs, no driving, no lifting things over 6 pounds, no exercise, and resting 4x a day. I don't know if this is just a them thing, or a general thing. (Needless to say I didn't really follow it tooo well and I'm fine but that might just be me)
I think it depends on how you are feeling and doing.  If you think your up to it then I don't see why not give it a try but make sure to take it easy.  You can always give your dr's office a call and ask if there's any reason you shouldn't.

Doing Yoga won't effect your milk supply.  Make sure if you aren't with your little one during a feeding that you pump.  Doing some things you will find it more comfortable to be empty before starting.  Also, make sure you drink water and don't get dehydrated.
I also think it depends on how you feel.  I had a c section and was on my tread mill after 2 weeks.  (prob not recommended, but I have issues...)  my feet were still too swolen to wear my normal running shoes, but it made me feel good.

Go slow & see how u feel.
My yoga teacher told me that I could resume classes after I give birth when the bleeding stops. She also said no poses that have inversions till 6 weeks after delivery. I don't know if I would do any wide legged poses like  till your 'whoo-ha' heals up either :) That just sounds painful!
Maybe just do 1/2 the class the first few times. I know with me Yoga feels so good while you are doing it but it can catch up to you the next day. I would hate for you to spend the weekend sore. Take it easy!