Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Opinions about Epidural

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Opinions about Epidural

Is the epidural really worth it? I've heard so many different stories. I'm debating... please help!
It all depends kn your pain level i know many females that had them and there totally fine me personally if i cant take the pain i will get an epidural this is my first child im 10 weeks tomorrow!  Goodluck!
I had an epidural with both my boys and first time it didn't work but my second it did and I think its worth it at the moment but I have back pains now even after birth
It depends on you really. They say it's bad for the spine but many women get it and are fine afterwards. And if you plan to not get it then my doctor highly recommended to take a Lamaze  or birthing class cause you don't want to go in panic during labor. Just know, that you're giving birth to a little person and that it will probably be painful. If you think you can handle then go without but if not then get it. I wanted natural but I don't trust myself not to go into a panic so I'm getting it.
Ya I've heard of it causing back pain for those who get it and I already have back pain as it is and I really don't wanna regret it after birth and deal with worse back problems but I also want something for the pain. I doubt I'll be able to go all natural but I want to. They say it's worth afterwards anyways. But idk. I just don't want to be in labor for hours upon hours but then again who does lol
It all depends on you and your pain tolerance. I'm not getting one for a few reasons. It can cause you to have some back issues and if they leave it in too long, you will get a spinal headache that will last for days after delivery and all you want to do is sleep and take Tylenol. The other reason is because  at the hospital I'm delivering at has had quite a few epidurals that were not effectively placed in the spinal column and the women felt.everything.
I had the epidural with my last baby and i would say that it was definitely worth it. My water broke around 5 and I didn't sleep well. When I got the epidural I slept for a couple hours before having to push. I didn't have any trouble with it afterwards and could walk an our after. If you need/want it I'd for for it you might as well enjoy the end of labor.
I know a lot of women who have had an epidural n absolutely no problems after. Although back problems can occur I think its quite rare. I had an epidural with my 1st baby n without question it was the best thing for me. The pain for me was horrendous n I didn't want to feel spaced out with the other pain relief options available. If the pain is as bad this time I will definitely get 1 again. I'd say weigh up your options n keep an open mind. See how you feel at the time
I had an epidural and was one of the freak 1% who suffered a spinal leak from it for 4 days. They had to patch the hole with blood from my arm. That being said I will STILL have an epidural with this baby. My labor was the most comfortable, peaceful... fun labor. I napped, I had tons of visitors, I was comfortable. The odds of their being problems are miniscule.
I will definitely have it again I to enjoyed labor..I find its definitely worth it!!
I have 3 kids my first 2 were natural and and baby gurl  I had an epidural last time when I deliver again I will go natural didn't like it.
I had an epidural and i regret it ya i didn't feel any pain but i feel cheated i don't know what a contraction feels like  and now i have really bad back pain from having the epidural
It was worth it for me... wouldn't go without it
Epidural=amazing. I loved it. Felt nothing and it allowed me to get some sleep before the actual pushing stage. Only bad part for me was I puked like immediately after I got it. But I swear it was the medicine they gave me that was supposed to not make me puke that made me puke. But I loved the epidural and will be getting another with my second
Epidural all the way!
I had the epidural and it was horrible for me because I had the migraines that lasted a week where the only comfort I felt was to lay down. I had to go back to the hospital for a blood patch. I think the only reason I ended up getting the migraines was because he did it up high on my back.
I had to get one because of my emergency c-section. I hated it... It felt gross and hurt! And it didn't spread evenly, so I had to have the mask to be totally asleep for the Caesarean. :-(  it can go well for women, but recently I have personally heard of many women, where the epidural didn't work.. :-\  that *****. I don't know how my second birth will go, but I wouldn't want it, because of the ugly feeling/pain, and it can cause side effects (headache, back pain, or even become paralyzed)i know a woman who is in a wheelchair now because of an epi. But then again, its more rare. Its your choice, and there are women who love it. :-)  I personally wouldn't freely choose to get one..
Honestly you can't base your decision off of anyone's experiences, I would make the decision when your in labor, I personally loved it with my entire being and will do it again with my next one no questions asked but my best friend had a completely horrible experience with hers and she will never get one again... It's luck of the draw, you can have a pleasant experience or a bad one you won't know till you get it
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers