Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Ovulation spotting but no period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Ovulation spotting but no period

I have been off the pill and not using birth control for 6 months, I am 34, already have one 4 year old, and open to another child.  I've had very regular periods every 28-30 days since getting off the pill 6 months ago, although they do seem to be much shorter and lighter than they used to be.  This cycle I had light spotting on days 16-21 of my cycle, light pink w/cervical mucus and some tissue.  I have never had spotting before, so I called my GYN and the nurse said it was just ovulation spotting and acted as though I was a bit stupid for being concerned.  Well, I am now to almost day 40 of my cycle with no period in sight!  I get a negative pregnancy test, so I'm guessing that I am not pregnant?  But if that spotting was really due to ovulation, how can a person ovulate and not get a period, unless they are pregnant?!  If I ovulated and an egg was released and not fertilized, then doesn't the lining HAVE to come out as a period?  Is it possible that the nurse was wrong, and that was not ovulation spotting that I was having?  Or is it possible the pregnancy test is wrong and I am in fact pregnant?  HELP!  Thank you!  
Hiya i have never heard of ovulation spotting with tissue loss,i personally wouldnt say it was that,and yes your right if it was ovulation,then you should have had your period by now.i would make an appointment to speak with your doctor,if you are trying to concieve (conceive),im  35 now.,and once you get into your 30's pregnancy can take a little longer,get checked out now,it could be to do with you coming of the pill,although that was 6 months ago.do you feel pregnant,maybe test again,in a few days.but in the meantime consult your doctor,its not for the nurse to say.best of luck.
Thanks for your comments.  I have never heard of ovulation spotting with tissue loss either, I am skeptical that this nurse knows what she is talking about.  I have read that sometimes you can also spot due to anovulation (not ovulating that month), so I am wondering if that is what happened with me.  That would at least make sense.  No ovulation should equal no period.  I just can't see how I could have ovulated and not gotten a period, esp, with a negative preg test.  I don't really feel pregnant, but I didn't with my son at first either.  Thanks again for your advice!