Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Placenta Calcification???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Placenta Calcification???

Hi Ladies,

Hope all is well with you? I have just returned from an u/s and my Dr has said that I have placenta calcification, there isn't actually alot of info on the internet that I can relate to, does anyone else have any experience with this and what was your outcome?  My Dr wants to keep an eye on it every week and if it progresses, she wants to deliver me, I'm only 33 weeks, but she did say she will try to keep him in till 37 weeks. She also noticed that I have partial placenta previa, therefore recommending a c-section when it comes time to deliver, and my darling boy has managed to wrap his cord around his neck in a most difficult position, it just seems that after a fairly normal pregnancy, everything is falling apart now, she keeps telloing me not to worry but I can't help it. Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Melissa
Hold on.... ur telling me that ur baby has the cord wrapped around his neck right now.... and ur not at the hospital delivering??? or atleast being monitored.....
You need a new doctor and hospital and uhm now would be a good time to do it.
Definitely count your baby's movements and ANY time you feel something is wrong, DO NOT hesitate to go to your nearest hospital or call the doctor's office for instructions. Be prepared to go to the hospital at any moment (pack your hospital bag now and keep it in your car).

I'm not trying to freak you out. It could very well be possible that things do go smoothly from here on out.

I did a search on Yahoo for "placental calcification" and it came up with many results. Here is one quote:

Placenta calcification refers to calcium deposits that appear on the placenta. These calcium deposits indicate an “aging” of the placenta that occurs near the end of pregnancy. These deposits of calcium can cause certain small parts of the placenta to die. The calcium deposits may also cause some parts of the placenta to be replaced with fibrous tissue. The calcium deposits can also obstruct parts of the placenta with clots of maternal blood. They can also harden or block the maternal blood vessels. In most cases, placental calcification does not affect the functioning of the placenta, and the fetus is generally not harmed.

Some studies suggest that placental calcification can be caused by cigarette smoking. Other studies suggest that using antioxidants in the diet can help to neutralize the effect.
My Dr said the cord was loose so there was no need to panic, I am a bit though.  His heartbeat sounded good on the doppler and I am trying to count kicks, he is slowing down, but I am not sure if that is due to him running out of room or another problem. I found that quote on calcification aswell, but it contradicts what my DR said. She said that she wants to montor it and if it gets worse she wants to deliver me early. I Would love to find a new DR but I have been everywhere and have yet to find one that I am completely comfortable with, there are only three reputable hospitals around me.
I don't see how it would contradict what the doctor said. Calcification is calcium deposits. No matter what is technical or not- I hope your doctor monitors you very carefully. Especially because of the cord.