Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Please help head MRI before I knew I was pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I am 3 weeks pregnant - I took a positive pregnancy test 2 days ago at 4 days before my period -- my concern is that I had an MRI done last week for some atypical migraines I had been having - a head MRI - at 24 hours - 48 hours post conception... I read in a book online by Dr. Raymond I. Poliakin that MRI's weren't a concern during pregnancy since there wasn't an radiation.  I am concerned about this and haven't been able to get an answer.

Can someone please help?
hi
my mum had to have an MRI scan and wanted me in the room. (was pregnant) while they dont advise this there is also no pro of that it can affect your baby.
your prob fine but if you are really worried just go to docs and get reasurred because your worrying could prob harm you more. hope everything goes ok .
Have you spoken with your doctor about this?  I don't know the answer to your question, but I think that this is a good question to ask your doctor.  

My cousin was in a car accident around 20 weeks pregnant and they HAD to do an x-ray.  Her little boy is perfect and just turned a year old.  And, obviously, x-rays radiate radiation.  But, I don't know about an MRI.  I would have to think though, that your little growing bean will be ok.  Congrats on finding out you are pregnant!  
I'm pretty sure that MRIs are ok while preg b/c they don't use radiation. You may want to check w/ your dr., as I am no expert, but I think you r fine! Oh, by the way...CONGRATS!!
I'd say especially since it was only of your head and not your pelvic area, you're sure to be safe!  I KNOW the feeling though.  With this third pregnancy, I was put under for a colonoscopy, given dangerous anti-biotics, self-medicated for the flu, and stood in front of an x-ray machine to hold my 3 year old all before I knew I was pregnant!  Talk about fear and worry and guilt!  But I'm 35 weeks and so far everything looks really good.  

I also was told that x-rays are more of an issue in the later trimesters, so that may help you to know, too.  And the MRI isn't even radiation!  Don't blame yourself--you didn't know and it sounds like it won't have any effect anyway.  But talk to your doctor to get some reassurance.
Just wanted to let everyone know I talked to my OB and the test is fine - they say not to get it done during preg if you're using the dye...