Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Positive for marijuana in urine test?? wthhhhhh

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

So as my title says it. I went to my doc for my monthly checkup and they told me that they found marijuana in my pee! wtf!!!!!!????? I don't smoke, neither does my husband and we don't hang out with anyone that smokes either, so I have nooooooo idea how marijuana could have entered my system! (I don't like poppy seed bagels either btw). Does anyone has an idea as to what could have happened? Could this have been a false positive? I asked to be re-tested again, I have to call on Friday for the results and I'm preetty sure they'll comeback as negative. I'm still so surprised and annoyed too cause now this will go into my medical records forever and the doc even told me that if I test positive when I give birth and my baby too, they'll call social services and take her away from me! WTF! Of course that if it ever comes to that extent my husband (who is an attorney) is ready to sue their ***** off . He's even investigating as to what he can do to get ths taken out of my medical records.
Anyways, I have a theory. My doc's office is in a very ghetto area and attend very low income women, so I'm sure they dont have the best of the best in there to do these kind of exams. Everytime I do the urine test there, they give me a cup, I pee and then they ask me to put it on a sink along other pee exams from other women and then go sit down. I was thinking, maybe one of these girls dumped her urine into my cup and put somene else's urine in her, as to make it look that she was clean? god knows, I'll probably never find out. Besides that, I don't know from where else could marijuana had come into my system. I don't have a clue at ALL. So has this ever happened to someone else? or know how to deal with this?? I'm so upset :-(
I would be livid!!!!! I would insist that from now on you physically hand your urine specimen to the lab tech so there is NO question.  
i am SO sorry this happened to you!! i would be P issed the F off for sure!!! that would start all kinds of drama with my DF wondering if i could have smoked while pregnant or something of the sort which would be annoying...im really glad your husband didnt question you! i cant believe they said that about social services! why would u be making such a big deal to them if u did smoke? you wouldnt want to be retested if you were actually smoking! they obviously need to keep a closer eye on their pee cups...that might even make me mad enough to switch doctors! id want that off of my medical record too...people will just treat you differently upon seeing that...especially if its written on under an OB visit! im so angry and upset for you! i cant imagine how id feel if this happened to me...id be floored!
ANother thing, since when do they do drug test at every ob visit?  My docs only check for protein, sugars, etc at each visit.
You should request a blood test instead.  That is what I would do.
oh duh, why didnt i think of that? isnt it the law that they have to TELL you if theyre going to preform a drug test? and shouldnt they only do one while your pregnant if your having complications or if they suspect you could be on drugs and hiding it? in which case they would still have to tell you? they better not be drug dipping my pee cup without telling me! (not that im on drugs lol its just the principal of the thing!)
I am thinking that something as simple as the urine or test results got mixed up. If this happens again then I would go to a different clinic. Unfortunately these things happen, and I too would be livid and feel horribly. The most important thing is that you and your hubby both know the truth. Demand further testing if you are still not satisfied. Try not to stress though as stress is not good for baby. Mix ups do happen in the medical field and it sounds like the area you were in that this is highly likely to have happened. I think I would even go as far as to follow my pee to the lab next time :)  
Oooh I would be upset too! Like losingmymind says I would personally hand them my urine from now on.
Oh is there a law about it? I'll have my hubby check that out. But yeah this came as a total surprise, as far as I knew, or thought I knew, they were just testing the urine for proteins in it and thats it, I have nooo idea how they got the marijuana results! and the nurse told me they definitely won't be taking that out of my medical records.What ***** too is that since I'm moving to another state I have to get a new doc, actually I want to get a midwife, so of course they are going to request for my medical records and I'm going to have to explain to her what I think happened. I wonder if I can get one of those hair tests to prove that I didn't do any drugs in the last 3 months? But I wonder where can I get it done hmm
What state are you in?  I do not think legally they can test you without your consent or an order from a judge.. have your husband look into it....  I know of areas that the Children and Youth Services are so gung ho about taking kids away to put up for adoption because it helps their funding that maybe they are in with them... It seems illegal and I would do something about it...
certain state or federally funded health insurance plans (such as medicaid) you do NOT have to give consent to get tested... they consider your participation in the program to be consent. I had something similar happen when I was pregnant with my daughter!!!

I don't know about marijuana, but they wrote me a prescription of Tylenol # 3(tylenol with codeine) when I had a migraine and told me to take it as needed during the pregnancy. THEY WROTE THE PRESCRIPTION! and when they did a urine test, I came up positive for morphine. WTF? I was in absolute tears because the midwife who saw me that day was like "you need to stop all the drugs RIGHT NOW child" so I stormed out of the office after telling her OVER AND OVER that I was not taking morphine!!! I called the nurse later, still crying, begging her to help me figure out what the bleep was going on, and if there was a chance of a false positive...

turns out that codeine metabolizes as morphine on a drug test. any competent doctor/midwife should have known this, but I was being seen at a VERY small-town health clinic at the time. once they discovered this, they conferred with a colleague in another city and it was confirmed. They immediately cleared my record and the nurse apologized (although the midwife never did) but I was so traumatized. I received so many apologies about it over the course of my pregnancy but every time they took my urine I was always reminding them about the tylenol #3.

you can always look on the internet and see what metabolizes as TCH on a drug test, there may be something common... but definitely check out the laws for your insurance, if you're not in a state or federally funded insurance (not sure about insurance for gov't workers) then it should be illegal like the other ladies said.
I would request copies of my own medical records to see what else they are doing.  
hey I found something that may be helpful... i don't know how accurate this site is, but it's a starting point maybe for some independent research you can do...

http:   //   www   .askdocweb   .  com/    falsepositives   .html

it's saying that in rare cases something as simple as aleve or advil can cause it, and I haven't read beyond the A's so I would see if there's anything on there that you may have taken
Did you fill out paperwork when you first started going to this Dr?  You may have signed something in the beginning that included consent to drug test.  Look through your copies.  
sorry to post again but I just noticed that there have been several reported cases of B2 vitamins showing up as THC. did they say specifically marijuana, or THC? anyway..read the list, see if anything rings a bell, and maybe go from there
I think I would be finding me a dr in a safer area, and one that conducts all procedures in a professional manner.

That is most definitely very unprofessional and well, to put it plain just stupid, to leave everyones urine in reach of everyone that comes around.
I'm sure you'll have tested negative this 2nd time around....I had to see pain mgmt for chronic back pain and they had to drugtest me.

I came up positive for PCP!... turns out it was the unisom (benadryl) I'd used to help me sleep. when they asked what I'd been taking and I said Unisom the dr said "well, it says right here (from the lab) that Unisom can lead to a false positive for PCP..."

I suggest you finding another doctor because yours sounds very rude and unprofessional and I would NOT want him or her delivering my child if I needed a doctor assisted delivery (csection or something)

also the hair test is specialized and ALOT more expensive for your dr to have done from what I've read. You CAN request they test the baby's muconium (first poo) for THC. Because it'll show up there if you have used any drug during your pregnancy. From now on read each paper your asked to sign because you most likely signed a consent form for ANY tests run during your pregnancy (including drug tests) when you began seeing this dr..
i ran a substance abuse program and i am well aware that urine tests can have false positives lots of times for no reason or for things you eat or even vitamins or medicine.  sometimes the test itself can be faulty.  I am sure your text one will be fine,

but yes since when do they do drug tests at your OB appointments?  they didnt do that to me
Thanks Ashelen, I read there that Tylenol can give you positive in a drug test too, but not for marijuana (and the doc did say it was marijuana). I havent taken any other kind of pill besides tylenol, besides of course my prenatals and fish oil capsules.
I'm sure that like Martika said, the test on Friday will come negative, BUT I decided to have that hair drug test done next week. They'll take some of my hair and test it for drugs and if I had anything in the last 3 months it'll appear there. If it does come positive then I don't know where the marijuana is coming from. I guess I'll just have to get more tests done, but I'm sure it'll come negative. So then I can go to the doc with the paper and say "SEE? I didn't do drugs like you said I did!" and when I get a new midwife I can just show her that document too
you sound like me, LOL.. I was like "okay is someone slipping me morphine in my sleep or something? where the heck is it coming from???" until we figured out about the drug test metabolizing... I was seriously eyeing my husband sideways for awhile there wondering if he had some sort of wife-doping fetish, LOL..

i'm sure it'll all come out clear and once you get the proof you can DEFINITELY show your new midwife... who knows what snarky things they wrote in your file? I know personally that they took out an entire page of notes by that midwife who was so rude to me because it was all theories about why I might feel like I needed drugs... it was completely bogus. I was like I totally admit to taking codeine, but you guys know about that...but when you start accusing me of taking illegal drugs (especially while pregnant) I'm NOT going to be nice about it.

trust me, if you're feeling anything like I felt back then, when you get vindicated you'll want to dance on the doctor's head in high heels and be like"HA told you"
I have to say, I would be really irritated with my OB if they were drug testing me without letting me know.  As far as I know, I was never drug tested while pregnant, or any other time for that matter.  I would consent to it if asked, I don't take any illegal drugs.  I think if I were in your shoes, after you get the hair test done that shows you weren't taking drugs, I would find a new doctor.  Pregnancy and childbirth are emotional enough, but if you can't even have a good relationship with your doctor, then how are you supposed to trust that person with your life and your newborns?  Thats just my opinion of course.  I am sorry you are having to go through this.
do you have a regular doctor (not associated with that clinic) that could order the hair or blood test?
omg i can't believe this happened to you thats terrible. im so sorry! let us know how it turns on tomorrow! does this happen often? being paranoid like i am now im afraid something like this could happen to me? im on medicaid and i dont smoke marijuana but i have before like its seriously been 2 years or longer since ive had any....so thats not possible right?
i wouldn't worry about it too much worrieddd after that long, but they WERE able to test me without consent because being enrolled in medicaid is considered consent, since it's a free program that you choose to participate in.... the rules may be different by state, i'm not sure, but I would check in to it.
I know protonix a medicine for acid reflux or gerd can show up a positive test. I am sure there are lots more. I do not know if you are on anything at all, herbs, herbal tea, or any meds that are concidered safe.

But I would go to a different dr for sure no matter how far you have to drive and also the fact that he said that if you test positive at borth they will taek the baby away I would go to the police and say he threatened you! I would consider that a threat to do harm and fudging your medical records, doing a test without your concent and saying that to you is targeting you as a pregnant mother based on his patients of the area. I am sure he has done this to other mothers and you may go to the press if the police won't do anything. You can go to the police or staright to the prosecuting attorneys office and talk to them about arrest charges.
I would switch doctors in a heartbeat. I understand that it is probably their policy to inform you of the consequences if it comes back positive at the time of birth...HOWEVER at the same time, if you insisted that it was wrong, they should do everything in their power to retest you and gain the correct results and correct any errors in your file, whatever they may be. If they are not cooperating in trying to get the correct results then I would switch doctors and then have your husband draw up the lawsuit papers, and would also call the medical board for that area and complain and have them investigate. I'm 13 weeks and my Dr.'s office is the same way about the urine samples (which is the only complaint I have about them). I believe it is unsanitary (I actually opened the cabinet door and had someone else's sample fall out and spill on my leg and the floor..I thought I would be sick). Not only is it unsanitary but it doesn't protect you as a patient or your rights. Anyone's sample could be tampered with at anytime.
Hey ladies, so an update! I got the results for the urine exam I took on Wednesday and as expected it came negative! I'm still going on Monday to get the hair 3 month test done, so I can send it to them and be like "I TOLD YOU SO"! The lady I talked with on the phone about the result was like "well its ok if it was only once, as long as your tests keep coming back negative then you are fine" and i said "well NO im not since thats going to be in my medical records forever and its definitely a mistake" and then of course she didn't say anything . ahhhh! Anyways it's done. Now I have to find a midwife in NYC that will accept me even though I'm 30 weeks already (and so far the ones I've called have said no) so this is stressing me out sooo much. It's like I jump from one stressful situation to the other lol
I am glad the results came back as you knew they would! I will pray that you find a midwife in your area that will take you! God Bless
ha! doesn't "i told you so?!" feel good??? Do whatever it takes to exonerate yourself and get that removed from your record like I did...it's worth the peace of mind.
You need to write a certifeid letter they have to sign for adn you get a reciept for that..

I have enclosed the hair test/urine test done on sucha date that shows I have drugs in my system. I have not done drugs and feel your office handles urine colection in a unsanitary and faulty manner. I am requesting that you remove the positive test from my records and send me a letter to that fact. As my recods for firther care with any professional in the furture may bedamaged by this mistake. I expect you to taek full responsibility in the matter and fix this in a timly manner so no further action is taken.

I have reported you to the health department as how you perform urine tests and they are not watched and can be tampered with. This is not in the best interest of any patient and can cause misdiagnised and untreated problems.

Something to that effect. Then if they refuse or refuse to send you a letter back resond agian and you can keep a letter in any future medical record you have so it does not negativly effect you in the future.
UPDATE!!!! The 3 months test came out negative! (well as expected lol) I'm so happy and not because it came out this way, since I knew, but because I have a document that says that I was tested for amphetamines, marijuana, opiates, cocaine and phencyclidine with the "Hair 5 panel test" (that means it is from 90 days ago) and at the end it says "The verified result is Negative". Omg I feel like getting 100 copies of it and posting it aaaaall over their office!
haha that's great.. I told you it would feel awesome. So glad that you've been vindicated!!! :)
Good to hear!
I'm so glad you got it straight.  I hope this office is rethinking their practices regarding the handling of urine specimens.
I recently had  a urine screen at my PCP s office and it came up positive as well, he told me, and i demanded he take another one right away. He told me to relax, as i was furious,and told him i dont smoke,and havent in decades as i suffer from anxiety and Marijuana only intensifies it. Did some research online, and vitamin B2 and Motrin or Ibiprofin can cause a positive reading, either way im fighting it.I take Pharmacutecal strength Coenzyme Q 10 which is loaded with the B vitamins,then again i can go with your theory about someone switching it, he has a new nurse who has the biggest attitude ive ever dealt with in 53 years,and she was extremely rude to me one day,and i put her in her place,so im wondering..hmmm could she have ?
My ob doesn't even urine test me every time I see her but like you said because of the general clientel there not being the best it may be procedure to drug test every visit. I am sure everything will be fine. Good luck!
Since you are aving issues with finding a new midwife, I'd be personally handing them my urine sample and making them test it right then. Sounds like someone traded samples with you so they won't test positive.  I hate when I see more them just my sample in the dr office so I make sure i hand it to the girl right away, and it's in a good area of town.

Hopefully you get a new dr soon and it all gets resolved.
You say your husband is a lawyer. Which I take it he makes good money and has insurance.  Why would you go to a clinic in the ghetto . Your words not mine. Why wouldn't you go somewhere else. Some place that doesn't make you pee in a cup and sit it on the sink by others where anyone could tamper with it. If that's the case that place can be fined and possibly shut down.