Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Possibly ectopic pregnancy at 5 weeks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Possibly ectopic pregnancy at 5 weeks?

I'm new to this site so please be patient with me. I am exactly 5 weeks today and here's what's been going on. I found out I'm pregnant last Friday May 13th and my hcg was 9.Then on Monday I had some light pinkish discharge which freaked me out so I went to the hospital. They did a blood test and my hcg was at 42 and they told me to come again on Wednesday.I did and my hcg was at 194. The light pink discharge/bleeding was very mild but continued (not enough to fill up a pantyliner). Then on Friday morning, I felt some sharp pains and some more cramping and when I went to the bathroom, I had some bright red blood. I quickly went to the hospital again and the doctor did a pelvic exam and said my cervix was still closed and he didn't see any blood dripping down from it (which is a good sign). I had blood work done again and my hcg was at 555. I go back tomorrow to check my hcg again. The bleeding isn't heavy but I am wondering if I could be having an ectopic pregnancy even though my levels are more than doubling? Please any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Ectopics typically have weird hCG results; though there are always exceptions. I won't say one way or another. If they already checked you via sonogram did they not check for ectopic? There are many reasons to bleed during early pregnancy and bleeding does not always indicate a problem.

I'd definitely keep calling and talking with your doctor, maybe get another sonogram to check for ectopic because until you check you'll just keep wondering and guessing.
its normal for some to lose some blood in early pregnancy i bleed with mine like a normal period every month till i was about 6/7 months. i would try to relaxe and talk to your g.p thats what there for it could of been implantation bleed just take it more easy than normal and no carrying heavy bags or stretching and have cool baths let us no how you get on good luck.
ectopic pregnancys they say people who have them will have pain develop in there shoulders or shoulder and have horrible pains in there lower tummies. i wouldn't worry i think your gonna be ok and that its a normal pregnancy. what are your symptons please share.
I personally don't think you are having an ectopic as your hcg levels are rising and as your crvix etc has been closed I think your pregnancy is going well. Bleeding in early pregnancy can be normal although not all women experience it.
Also an ectopic pregnancy I believe is very painful, although I have never experienced it.
Good luck, lots of luck.
They didn't do a sonogram, just a pelvic exam. They said it was too early to see anything on the sonogram at that time. I only had the sharp pains on Friday but the cramping comes and goes (it isn't unbearable, just very uncomfortable). I guess what really scares me is the way the blood has gone from light pink to looking like I'm on my period with very tiny clots now.I don't seem to have any pregnancy symptoms anymore except for my breasts are kinda sore. I'm not really going to the bathroom a lot and I don't feel as tired as I did before. I will definitely keep you all updated once I find out anything. I'm going to the hospital in an hour and I will really insist of having a sonogram done, but it may still be too early to see anything.
Hunny, that doesnt sound good.. Am sorry. You've just described he exact same thing that happened to me when I miscarried. I started of with pink spotting, the next day I got red blood, and was passing clots and then began to feel horrible cramps. A few hours later I miscarried. I also woke up that day with loss of pregnancy symptoms which is 1 of the first signs of a miscarriage.
The only good sign you've explained are that your breasts are still sore.
Don't worry about being tired or going to the bathoom, it comes and goes as so does breast tenderness.

As far a sonogram, it doesn't matter how far you are, with the baby I miscarried I had a scan at 6wks but the scan showed it at 4wks and we could see a yolk sac and if I had been 4wks and and not 6wk everything looked fine! Insist on a scan!! At 5wks there will be something but don't expect to see a baby. A Yolk sac at the most is what you see. Keep your dates in mind also
Well I just got back from the doctor's and my hcg is at 174 so I know I'm having a miscarriage. I'll go back on Thursday for an ultrasound so they can make sure it's all out. I've been crying and I just feel so empty. I know a lot of people have gone through what I'm going through so I know I'll be okay. It's just so hard right now.
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is very hard to overcome the loss, but in time you will heal.
I too have had to go through the terrible tramua of a miscarriage, and its what actually brought me here to medhelp.
there's plenty of support here and so many women who are or have gone through the exact same thing as you.
Cry, scream, rant as much as you need and let your emotions out. TALK too, to the people you are most close to and tell them your feelings and what is on your mind, Try not to keep it all bottled up inside, it will not do you any good.
when you go back to hospital ask as many questions as you feel you need to.

In time, now matter how long it takes you will feel better. At the moment you will feel like your whole world is crashing down on you, and wonder why you, but miscarriage is very, very common.

If its a child you really do desire, you will get there in time. That I can promise you!
I did, I finally got pregnant again 9 months after my miscarriage and I am now currently 13 weeks pregnant.
Am here if you need to talk. wish you all the best in the near future. xx
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.
im so sorry to here of your loss. times a great healer your time will come again.
hey how are u guys, sorry am kind of new to this site but have alots of questions to ask, TTC for the past 2yrs, had an ectopic last year feb and had my tube removed, now am about 5weeks preg, not having any sign of preg just sore breast,and cramps. i had implantation bleed few weeks back was was pinkish, brownish clot which was gone as soon as i wiped it off. now am having a very sensitive lower abdomen. can only be felt when i place my palm slightly on it. does anyone have an idea what am going through?