Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Pregnancy and Metoprolol
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pregnancy and Metoprolol

I am a mother of one child and trying for a second. My first pregnancy I was on Aldomet for hypertension and did just fine. Now my MD would like to try Metoprolol 25mg bid for this pregnancy, when it happens. I cannot take the ACE inhibitor I usually take and I am now on the Lopressor. Does anyone know of a woman that has taken Metoprolol and what are the risk factors w/ pregnancy? Is it really approved to take during pregnancy? Do you know if miscarriage rate is greater w/ this drug?  
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
350664_tn?1322829601
Metoprolol is a pregnancy category C which means its only given after risks to the fetus are considered; animal studies have shown adverse reactions, no human studies available. I know that this drug does cross the placenta so I would talk to your doctor about it. I'm sure there are other blood pressure meds that you could take that would be more safe for your baby. Such as hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) this however is a diuretic too so your doctor would have to determine if it was therapeutic. However you said you took Aldomet for your first pregnancy and that is also a category C. Not much to work with when it comes to BP meds.....most are C's. Good luck.
Blank
Did your doctor put you on Metoprolol?  I am in the same situation.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pregnancy 18-24 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...