Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Pregnant and can't quit smoking!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Pregnant and can't quit smoking!!!

Hi, I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant with my third child and am having a hard time quitting smiking.  I have cut down to 3 or 4 a day but I am still so upset that I can't quit completely.  Anyone else in the same boat?  
Tags: Pregnancy
I am...

It is something I am totally embarrassed about and makes me feel horrible.. I have spoken to my Dr. about it, and although he expresses concern, he says to continually cut down until I can quit cold turkey. Every couple days, I alot myself 1 or 2 less cigarettes per day. Don't be surprised if you get a lot of sh*t from this post.. I have asked questions before and I felt attacked..

PLUS, the studies prove (even though I am NOT trying to justify.. just make a point) that the 2 largest problems that smoking while pregnant are low birth weight and it can cause A.D.D.  I asked my Dr. about the lung issues/asthma and he said that studies DO NOT prove 100% that smoking is the root of these birth problems/defects..

I personally feel a lot of it is a social acceptability issue.. If you smoke nowadays.. You are a "leper."

Not to totally confuse the issue, I want my baby to be healthy and happy.. I am trying to quit smoking b/c I truly want what is best for my child as I am sure you feel the same. I am NOT trying to justify smoking OR smoking while pregnant, I am just sharing what I have learned as I have been a smoker for 17 years.. It is a difficult habit and addiction to break and I wish you the best of luck b/c I realize your intentions are true, as are mine. =)

Some people (especially those that have never smoked) have NO idea what it is like... I understand, and I empathize.. I am 22 weeks pregnant.
I am the same way but i am 26 wks with my 2nd but with my first i had the same problem and he came out weighing 8 lbs 1 once 21 inches long and only had problems with ashma when the seasons would change from summer to fall and then winter to spring and now he has grown out of it and is a completly healthy 2 almost 3 yr old.
Unfortunately, I do not have this problem, but my sister did. However, let me preempt my post with an applaud, since you ladies for cutting back as much as you can. For those of you who do not know, my sister had her first baby at 20 weeks on May 6th of this year. He is still in the NICU and probably won't get to come home until sometime next month. She tried to stop smoking at first but couldn't. She couldn't even cut back. I guess she just kept thinking "lots of other women smoke and their babies are just fine". Well, she no longer thinks like that. She is disgusted with herself. She sees her inability to quit as a factor in her preterm labor and unfortunately alot of medical evidence also suggests that this may be a reason she went into labor so early too. Her baby encountered some sort of fetal distress which caused him to have his first bowel movement way to early. This caused her to go into preterm labor. Even her doctor has said that since nothing else seems to have triggered the fetal distress such as car accident or a fall, etc, that it very well could have been triggered by her inability to quit smoking. So, again I applaud you for cutting back, but please try to make the effort to quit completely.
I heard that if you quit cold turkey you can put the baby into shock. ive seen several woman say that. I smoke and i know its bad for you its hard to quit. great job on your progress soo far.
I know what that is like I am pregnant with number 4 and I myself still can't quit. good luck and congrats on cutting back so much.
i had the  same  problem  when i was  pregnant with #2 and  it took me a long time to  quit  when i  was pregnant  for him and it was hard let me tell . Unforunately i went back to  smoking  soon after his born  now iam  16 wks pg with #3 and i have quit  fully  so it takes time and i know how hard it is to  quit having  started and  quit many  times  myself good luck
Thanks so much for all the support.  I smoked with both my other pregnancy's and my girls where born fine both weighting almost 7 lbs.  But I know that I was lucky and I would never forgive myself if something happened to this baby.  I am going to continue to try and quit but I honestly don't think I can completely.  I guess 4 is better than 20.  But its still not good enough!  Good Luck to you all.
Brittney,'If you don't mind me asking, how many cigs where you smoking a day with your first?  He was big!  I'm so glad to hear he's healthy!!

Kristie
I'm guilty as well. Its EXTREMELY hard especially since most of my friends and MY HUSBAND smokes! I have never quit and this is my 5th pregnancy. My 1st weighed 6lbs 8oz. He had a heart defect tho. My second was 8 lbs 6oz. (kinda strange I kno), and my 3rd weighed 7 lbs 3oz. I did/have cut down to 8 a day. I know that still sounds like a lot but my doc said the same thing...if u cant quit @ least cut down. I used to smoke 15 a day. I had an u/s last week. (I'm 28 wks) and I was told my baby girl weighs 2 lbs. 11 oz. And she's in the 57th percentile, so that's a lil above average. Good Luck Ladies!!!
I too am a smoker and 36 weeks pregnant. I had stopped for a little while, but I just can't kick the habit. I am even having a hard time limiting how much I smoke. I was smoke free for probably 3 months until I couldnt take it anymore.

I smoked with my other 2 pregnancies, both were and are very healthy boys. My oldest weighed in at 9lbs 12.ounces my youngest was 9lbs 6 ounces. This baby is also expected to reach the 9+ category if I can go full term. I am not having any complications from smoking, most of the complications I am having now are due to other medical issues.

I have been a smoker for 13 years and it is very hard to quit. I am ashamed to say, that im still smoking...but im proud to say I tried. Not many women out there will even try to quit. But I did I tried.
I think all we can do is try.  I try everyday and feel sometimes as if I'm not trying hard enough but I really can't seem to quit.  I am proud of myself for cutting back at least I can say that!! Good luck to all!!
I am so proud of all of you for admitting this!!!  I HATE that smokers are considered "lepers" now like the other post said.  YES it is an awful awful habit but until you have been one, you cannot possibly understand how difficult it truly is to quit.  I was fortunate to be able to quit almost immediately after finding out I was pregnant with my daughter.  BUT I DO TOTALLY SYMPATHIZE/EMPATHIZE AND TOTALLY UNDERSTAND what you are all going through!!  

Good luck to you and congrats on cutting back!  That's fantastic!  :)  
Thanks so much for the encouraging words!  I'm trying so hard!!!
Hey I have a question that I always wondered, but never found out for myself.  When I was pregnant and wanting a cigerette soooo bad I was able to resist b/c I was afraid of feeling her kick or react to it.  Do you ever notice when smoking that your baby responds to the cigarette?  I always wondered if the baby would start kicking or moving around during or after???  Just curious.  :)
I totally feel your pain hunn.
I'm 37w4d and I wasn't able to kick the habbit either.

I did quit around my 3rd month.
I quit for 6 whole weeks.
But then I ended up moving from Texas all the way back up to Massachusetts where I'm originally from... and the stress of that move was unbelievable...

Not to mention my fiance was supposed to quit with me- and he lied and said he did...
come to find out he was doing it behind my back, and I caught him with cigarettes the day we moved.
We moved through Amtrak, and it was a very LONG, and very STRESSFUL trip.
And the entire time I was extremely p*ssed off cuz everyone and everything kept f*cking us over left and right the entire time.
So I ended up buying a pack for myself once we got to Chicago on a layover.

But then once we  get  to Massachusetts, EVERYTHING exploded in our faces.
EVERYTHING went down hill and I was supposed to quit again-  but never could because of the stress.
The first thing I think about when I'm pissed off or stressed out  is a smoke. lol

And so then we hadda move BACK to Texas... and that was even MORE stress.

I cut back some for a while-
then I started having anxiety about L&D and started smoking more again.
Now I usually limit myself now that I'm more than ready for L&D cuz I'm so huge and miserable... lol... but I have those days where I smoke more than I want to.

I hope you can quit before you get to my point in the pregnancy, where the damage has already been done and the best you can do is just cut back and try to take it easy.

I'm not even gunna bother to quit at this point cuz I know in 3 weeks time, I'm gunna end up picking it right back up.

I'm ashamed of myself, but lots of women smoke during their pregnancy.
Alot worse than ourselves.
I'm just glad I'm not as heavy of a smoker as I was BEFORE pregnancy.
im so glad im not the only 1! ive tried so hard to stop im nearly 20 weeks and used to smoke 20 + a day, i now smoke 10 a day and feel guilty after every single 1 but ive found the cravings are much worse than before i fell pregnant even tho i was smoking more then i was drinking quite a lot too, i always smoke more when i drink alcohol. i have completly stopped drinking and have done since i found out i was pregnant as i know drinking in pregnancy can cause some horific long term affects to the baby and irreversable brain damage! if any one has any tips to help cut down my intake of ciggarettes more then please share beacuse like all of u i would NEVER forgive myself if anything happened to my baby because of my weakness. and well done all of u for only smoking 3 or 4 no 1 has the right to judge you especialy the non smokers as people really dont have a clue how hard it is to stop unless they have an addiction themselves and if they do then who the f*** are they to judge! im so glad you had the guts to admit to this problem now maybe we can try and help each other. thank you x
im so sorry to hear about your sisters baby that is a really shocking story and i hope to god he gets better soon, how may was your sister smoking? i think us smokers need to hear these stories as horrible as they are to help stop this happening to any of our babies as we seem to make excuses for ourselves sometimes to make us feel less guilty about those sneeky fags we are having! is it true about the cold turkey thing being bad for our babies? i know if drug addicts just stop when pregnant it can really harm the baby is it the same for ciggarettes?
I wish you the best of luck with your L&D and I'm sure everything will be fine.  Just have faith in God and know that you at least tried to quit.  Please let us know when you have your baby!!!!! Congrats!!
I am so glad you resonded to this thread.  I know that just reading everyones posts makes me feel better and makes me feel that I can quit with the support of friends like ya'll.  We can all do this.  Even if some of us just can cut back, a least it's something.  Smoking is a real addication and I can tell you that if you were addicated to alcohol or drugs there would be so much support out there for you and your Dr. would have alot more information for you on how to get help.  But I have not seen that with ciggarettes.  I wish you all the best of luck and keep sending your thoughts and comments, it's good therapy...lol
Firstly well done to all ladies who have cut down. I was a smoker myself- I gave up smoking when I found out I was pregnant with my first baby and started smoking again after I lost him/her to m/c to help me cope. So I know what an addictive crutch cigs can be.  When planning this pregnancy I gave up immediately to get it all out of my system as I want to try to do everything by the book. It was hard... days when I badly needed a cig.  For me I found praying really helped me to see that I could dispose of that crutch.  I couldn't think of having a cigarette now... this baby is too precious to fill his or her wee lungs and body with chemicals such as rat poison.  This will be our first child and we are terrified of anything going wrong this time.  I know it is so hard to quit but has anyone, trying to give up, used nicotine patches?  Apparently they are much safer than cigs and can help you quit.

I am not judging anyone for finding it hard to quit but I don't think it's helpful to make smokers feel ok about smoking during pregnancy.  Would it be ok to let a toddler puff on a cigarette?  As for the comment about the baby going into shock if quit while still in the womb .. well what about the shock it could go into if you continued to smoke and then it went into cold turkey when born? Much worse. I know alcholics and drug addicts baby's become so addicted to the drug that when they come out their wee bodies shake uncontrolably- I have held one of the dolls demonstrating this and believe me it brought tears to my eyes! If a baby gets used to having so many cigs a day in the womb they must go through some withdrawel pains when born but can only tell us by crying or shaking.  If we addicts find it hard to quit how hard would it be for a baby addict who quits as soon as born?
So for all the ladies who have done REALLY WELL to cut down, the earlier you can quit altogether the better.  Please don't think I am being mean... I know there are lots of stories of babys born to smokers who are develop normally (I was one of them) but we are the lucky ones... there are plenty who aren't so healthy and how can it be acceptable to take that risk?  Plenty of non smokers encouraged me to give up and I am grateful for that.. I used to hate it when they would tell me about what I was doing to my body before preg... I would think 'clear off it's my body and I don't need a lecture!'.  But when it affects another body that is so precious to us we should be grateful for any encouragement to give up even if the lesson seems a hard one to listen to.. Good luck to everyone x
I am not trying to attack you or anything, but i want to reply to your post.  You said that you quit smoking early in your pregnancy and still something went wrong.  The way I see it is if something is going to go wrong, that is what is meant to be.  God has a plan for everyone and everything.  I am 33 weeks prego and I am still a smoker.  I have cut back to about 5 a day.  but my baby girl at 29 weeks was estimated to weigh over 4 lbs.  And about the baby going in to shock if quit cold turkey, what my doctor told me was that it wasnt good to just quit cold turkey.  He said that I needed to ween my self and the baby.  I have had long conversations with my doc about trying to quit totally.  And I have explained to him about my life and all the stress I have been going through and my depression problems.  He said that it is better to keep your self calm and stress free, and if I needed to smoke a couple a day then that would be better for my baby.  there is a huge difference between smoking a couple of ciggs a day and using drugs or drinking alcohol.  Also if everyone thinks back a couple of decades ago, there was nothing wrong with ciggerettes.  Like I said I am not trying to attack you, this is just a really touchy subject to me.  And i am not saying that it is ok to chief down a whole pack of ciggs a day.  But I dont see the point in trying to make them feel guilty for something they are trying really hard to quit.  And trust me I know I feel bad enough every day for it and I am sure they do too.  

Wow...i never knew there were so many girls out there that smoked (while pregnant) Not trying to attack anyone. I have been a occasional smoker, but havent through out my pregnancy. Im glad that the original poster was brave enough to even post this. Since alot of people can and will judge all of you. I know alot people say its hard to quit this and that. I dont get it though, i been smoking for i dont know wow since i was maybe 18 thats 10 years, i mean a pack would last me a week,  but i never got addicted, that is why i never understood how it happens. My hubby has quit 3 times, this last time he did it for me and the baby, he hasnt been smoking for 3 months now. Yeah its hard but its possible. My hubby has been smoking since he was 14 he is 31. Its possible, but i know its hard. Im glad you girls were able to cut down. That is a start. I wish all of you the best and pray for healthy babies.
I tend to agree with Petal88.  I'm not here to judge anyone.  Smoking is an addiction.  For me, cutting out caffeine while TTC has been my big obstacle.  All I do know is this. . . I want a baby so badly, and am struggling with getting pregnant.  When/if that does happen, I am going to make sure that nothing I do will negatively contribute to the health of my baby.  Sometimes things just go wrong, and sometimes, no matter how many drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, etc are done during pregnancy, the baby will turn out perfectly.  I would just never take that chance.

Good luck to all of you though. . . :-D
How many times do you hear or see on TV about women who did some hardcore drugs while pregnant and *still* had healthy (but, sadly, addicted) babies?  So when it comes down to smoking while pregnant, it's in my opinion, not that bad.  I give you ladies a lot of credit for cutting back and trying to be more healthy for your baby.  

As many have said, smoking *is* an addiction.  My mother, father, brother, grandmother, and husband are all smokers.  I grew up around it, I live with it now.  And yet I am not one (tho I did try to be a smoker when I was in college!  It didn't stick!  I've also had the very rare social drinkers' cigarette ...I always got teased by the 'real' smokers for not inhaling tho >.>).  

Even tho I'm pregnant, my husband still smokes around me.  With our first pregnancy, he was so good about not being in the room/car with me ...or making sure it was super ventilated ...and we lost that baby.  Even tho we tried to be so careful.  With this pregnancy, I thought to myself ...if I was trying to be so good and perfect and healthy and still lost a baby, why should I get myself all worked up again?  So he smokes around me.  And I'm 6 months pregnant today.

Many ladies have already attested to smoking during pregnancy and still having healthy babies.  Even tho I myself would not smoke while pregnant, I'm not going to have a cow about people who do.  My husband has tried to quit many times, but it's a lot harder than he ever thought.  Also, he has a 16 year old son who is very healthy and never had medical problems ...and his ex smoked (cigarettes and marijuana) throughout her pregnancy with him.

Good luck to all you ladies struggling with cutting back!!  I applaud you for your effort to make yourself more healthy for your babies!!!
I want to thank you all for your support.  I know that for me it is hardest thing I have ever done.  I do though, feel extremly guilty about smoking and wish to GOD that I could stop.  I just want to be able to wake up one day and not want a cig.  I know that takes work and I don't think I can do it without some kind of help.  Only thing is when you are preggo you can't have any stop smoking meds.  So, whats a girl to do??????  I do understand all of the not so positive comments because if I saw a pregnant woman drinking a beer, I would think the same thing.  But I'm not addicated to beer, I'm addicated to cigs and I know how freakin hard it is to quit cold turkey!  So I can understand how hard it would be to stop drinking also.  
I will not judge anyone here for smoking, and i do beleive it is better to cut back then to quit cold turkey...but here's some food for thought
1. In Nova Scotia canada, you can get fined for smoking in a car with any children 17 and under in it. AND they are actually charging people (same with talking on your cell phone while driving)
2. There has not been anyone smoking in our house for about 9 years. We recently are doing renovation and I wanted the "cottage cheese" ceiling smoothed in the living/dining room. There has been a layer of plaster that was very thick plus 2-3 more layers of skimcoat....and there are all kinds of yellow spots coming through...they are nicotene spots. It grosses me out
This is not to anyone is particular but this is just my point of view. I was a smoker not for long for about 5 years. I was the one that did want to quit when everyone else did. But I knew it was bad for you and can cause problems. But I told myself if I ever get pregnant I will quit. Well, I did get pregnant in Feb 08 and the moment I found out I quit. Which I have been in your shoes I know how it feels. I quit cold turkey.. I have my WHOLE family who smokes and I have come to realize with everyone I talk to that smokes.. they know its wrong, they know they shouldnt be doing but the reason they cant quit is because the really dont want to. So from that I concluded that no is really addicted to ciggs their mind is addicted. You all can say what you want but for the ones who still smoke ask yourself if you REALLY do want to quit.. because if you do you can.
All you can do is TRY. I know you feel guilty and that it is hard work to break an addiction, but keep trying. Keep cutting back! Don't stop until you're down to one. And then hopefully you will lose that craving.

My mom smoked when she was pregnant with me (I'm the 4th child--- she'd been smoking since she was 16 I think) and when I was growing up. She finally quit when I was in elementary school. But then she got cancer and I had to take care of her and bring her pills and help her go to the bathroom, etc., etc. Being in that position is NOT one you want your children to see you in.

And I am very angry because I feel my chances for getting cancer are higher because I couldn't control HER smoking. I was innocent and that was taken advantage of. I'm proud that my mom could quit at some point. But that didn't stop the consequences or her death.

All you can do is TRY! I hope my story helped motivate you, if even a little more, than you already desire to quit.
thank you joy for the story i would rather die from natural causes then have to die from cancer that i caused myself now when i smoke ill be thinking of your story saying you can die from this and theres no1 to blame but yourself. its rather scary to me to think i could die from my smoking its defenitly an eye opener thanks again joy
I dont want to judge either, but my story is that i smoked for 10 years.  
I quit COLD TURKEY the day I found out I was pregnant.  My daughter is now 3 1/2 years old and a have never again smoked since that day.  I thought It was going to be harder for me bcause I work in a cigar factory, where everyone is allowed to smoke, but here I am, no cigarrettes for 4 1/2 years now.
I feel proud of doing it and i wish the same for you.  I wish strenght for all those who this has been harder.  It's a start to cut back and I want to congratulate you, Its a choice of life, for you, your body, your baby ...Good luck ((HUGS))
Oh and LauraB mentioned something about there not being proof of asthma being a condition of having your birth mother smoke. I do not have asthma or allergies, even though my mom smoked while pregnant! But there are def. other issues to think about. Good luck and I wish the BEST for you!
I know the feeling as I am in the same boat and 31 weeks pregnant. I have cut down alot to about 4 day and on the weekends try to stick to the 4 day but then sometimes go up to 8. I have been reading and my doctor says try to stick at 5 a day. But today I am going to try again and quit. I never thought it would be so hard. I posted another thread and instead I got attacked. I was looking for advice instead I received nasty posts. I really want to talk to people that are understanding and willing to help some one understand but not be so ignorant about the subject. I am an educated person but I guess you do not realize how much you are addicted until you try to end the addiction. I try to scare myself everyday but it just doesn't seem to help. But I will not give up the will to try to quit. I guess it just takes a few times until you get it right. I do pretty good for about 15 hours then it goes down the drain. So far during my pregnancy and attending the appointments everything seems to be normal but who knows I try to scare myself into thinking other things so that I just drop the habit. Any advice would be great?
I am 30 weeks and I was one of the first people to respond to the original poster. I am ashamed and embarrassed to say I am still smoking. I have tons of stress and no outlet and I have tried and tried to quit.. I will continue to try but that is all we can do. People who have never been regular smokers don't and won't understand. I am sorry you were attacked elsewhere. I hope you are able to cut down/quit soon! I hope we all are.. I am with you though, its really hard...
Im glad to finally see a post where people are being supportive and not condeming...... It truly is one of the HARDEST things i have dad to deal with..... I am 23 weeks and have cut down but have not been able to quit either... and much is not mentioned about it on this site unfortunately due to the fear of  being attacked instead of getting support..... I am absolutley in the same boat as Laura B I am horrified, ashamed, and embarrassed and I feel guilty EVERY Second of the day.... BUT it doesnt make it easier to cut quit... its and addiction... and all i can do is try to cut down till i eventually dont need or crave them anymore......I wish i had advice for things that can help.... but just plain will power and keeping your mind on other things can help ya quit or at least cut down....
Thanks LauraB78 and Justice6920, Well I have gone with out one for about 15 hours now and I am still going to try to make it to the next day. The thing is I can go with out one for about this long but then just some how I break down. But tonight I will try to keep going with out. I am ashamed as well. I have noticed though that most people that do tend to have the most problems are chain smokers. I didn't think it would be so hard to give up the last 4 or 5. Who would of thought? I feel guilty as well I try to keep myself busy I do really good like I said for most of the day but then the evening comes and around 9:00pm I find myself stressed or something. But thanks for understanding all. I do realize I only have like 9 weeks left so I am going to try really hard and quit. I heard the best thing you can do is quit during this semester at least. Plus I also heard it is best to quit anytime during the pregnancy as long as you can try. If it takes you a couple of times then it takes a couple of times. But trying is the best thing you can do. Good luck to you both.

,
I'm 19 weeks pregnant and still smoking 4-6 a day.  I  was able to quit cold turkey with my first pregnancy as soon as I found out...that day!  It also helped that the smell of cigarettes made me extremely ill.  

This time however is different.  I started the nasty habit again when my first child was about 4 months old.  I do not smoke in the house and neither does my husband.  I also do not smoke in the car with my daughter in it.  I don't understand what's so different about this pregnancy.  Anybody out there who is having the same problem...please let me know how to slow down and what I need to do to try and quit!  I have not talked to my doctor, as I am ashamed to even mention it!  
strangely, while i was able to cut back some while pregnant, i've been able to cut back even more now, since i've always got alex in my arms, or i'm feeding, or cleaning, and i cut the smoking in the house thing off!  i was still smoking about a half pack during pregnancy, and both my dr's told me cold turkey could hurt the baby, b/c he'd have gone through the NIC withdrawals as well, and as one woman said, could put him into shock.....thankfully none of the problems he had when he was born, had anything to do with that.....i made sure, esp since i had one nurse who was an absolute b*****, and said all kinds of stuff about smoking, and me smoking lol, but even she assured me i couldn't have prevented any of his issues, and they weren't from my smoking.....
Mini thats Great!!! I know how hard it is.... but all you can do is try.... and when that craving starts to hit just get up and clean the counter, take a bath, DO SOMETHING else! The cravings and the thought will always be there.... But just try and find something that can take your mind off of the fact that your wanting one.... Just keep trying! Your doing great!
Thanks all for being so supportive and telling me your stories. But I never smoked in the car or inside the home plus at work we have a no-smoking policy which I think is just great. So I never smoked while at work either and do not see the point of getting in the car and going anywhere which I  think helps me. So I try to keep myself busy and try not to stress. So I will try to keep this up. You all have been a great help. I will try to keep it up and hopefully I will be sucessful through this month.
I had the same problem when I was pregnant. My OB told me that in the 1st trimester to try to cut back signifigatly(spelling?) and in the 2nd, even more, and in the 3rd to not smoke at all. And that if I did quit cold turky it could do more harm than good to the baby. he said that since the nicotine was already in the baby's system that it was better to weine me and the baby off of it as opposed to just quiting. and that if i did quite cold turkey to at least chew niccorette.
Hello from addicted smoker who would like to quit but I can't yet.

Can somebody explain me what is cold turkey? Thank you!

This is going to be long I'm honest and detailed person but I wanted to share it with you, I cant sleep so I'll write and sorry for my English language is not as good as yours. It's not my mother tongue :-)

I have promised myself that if I became pregnant I'll quit, so I'm not still PG but I'm trying to be soon with Gods help, and I think one day I smoke more one day less, when I'm near my computer I don't smoke at all, because I don't smoke in my leaving room and my lap top is there, only in kitchen. I don't like the smell of the cigarettes all over the house, only in kitchen and I'm 15 years active smoker. Thats is good sign for me, I can be on medhelp for hours and I don't smoke.

I understand the smokers perfectly because I'm one of them, but I understand the nonsmokers also my sister is the hardest one on me.

My father left the cigarettes 1 month ago and he was 50 years smoker with diabetic disease, 2 stokes, 1 hart attack. I hope and pray for him to not start again.

My stories about quiting cigarettes:
In the year when my dearest and the most loved person in my life MY MUMMY rest in peace died (she was diagnosed with cancer) and I was told that she will live only 6 months, I quit smoking for 2 months, because one night I went to sleep and I couldn't breath at all, I was scared so much, also thinking about mum because I needed to be there for and take care of her, but that night she took care of me and helped me. That happened because I started smoking 2 or more boxes of cig. per day (I was punishing myself) because I was under stress, scared, nervous, aggressive, hating my self because I can't help her and to tell you the truth that was very bad period for me to quit smoking, I was terrible person. I started again and felt calm because I wanted to hurt and punish myself.

2 years ago I had tonsils surgery, it was the first and I hope the last surgery in my life and I quit smoking because I couldn't smoke, not that I wanted, I was in the hospital for 5 days, I couldn't speak, drink, eat and of course smoke. After coming home from hospital I think I didn't smoke maybe for 1 month, but I was thinking all the time on cigarettes, so I felt better and I started again.

As you can see the reasons for stopping smoking were from something/someone else, not by me or by my wish.

I would like to tell you that I like cigarettes still, I don't know why but I like the taste, they make me company, help me when I'm under stress or when I'm ashamed insecure, with one word I'm addicted, I know that, but I'll try to smoke less in the begging or to quit, I really would like if I become pregnant my baby to be healthy he/she don't deserve to be hurt by me.

I wish us all to smoke less and of course if we can to quit.

Suggestion: When you have a desire to have a cigarette, have 1 glass of watter don't smoke that minute do it latter, you will smoke less, this helps me sometimes.
I am a former smoker, quit 4 months ago for the first time in my life. I wanted to do IVF because I was not able to concieve (conceive) on my own. The only way I knew that would work without damaging the eggs was for me to quit smoking. so I did. I quit the very day of the egg retrieval using nicoderm cq. It was the hardest thing i've ever had to do in my entire life. I totally understand where you are all coming from. I used the patch for 2 weeks too, I was a light smoker and started on the last step and only used 2 weeks and was done. So before I got preggo i was off nicotine totally. The patch is the only thing that ever worked for me as I had made several attempts to quit in the past. Besides that I still think about cigaretts every day! Although I don't have any "withdrawl (withdrawal)" because I am no longer addicted to the nicotine, I still find myself missing my smoker friends and my smokes. However I know I am doing the right thing and I am even going to attempt to make this permenant although i am already wishing I could smoke after my baby twins are born lol. Well my name is Jen I am 26 years old-blessed with my first pregnancy ever (twins) thanks to ivf and have been smoke free for 4 months. It feels really good to say that and I know one day each one of you will be able to say it as well. Never give up, anything is possible. I have faith in all of you and I am keeping you in my prayers and wishing you the best of luck--hope to hear your quit success stories soon, but if not you should all be very proud to have cut down as much as you did:)
Hi all, I'm just here to share my story like everyone else.  I smoked for 11 years and quit the day I found out I was pregnant with my daughter over 4 years ago.  I didn't smoke at all throughout my pregnancy, or for the year that I nursed her.  After she was weaned I started with a few when I would have a drink or when visiting my mother (who smokes) until I eventually began buying my own again.  I found out I was pregnant in April this year and immediately quit, but m/c at 5 weeks.  I of course began smoking again because I was so depressed (I also had other issues going on) and I managed to quit a week before I had another positive test in August, which I also m/c.  This time I have managed not to smoke again yet (m/c was at 11 weeks 2 weeks ago) because I am worried that maybe the m/c is due to the toxins in my system when the egg matures.  Every day is a battle, even though my body doesn't physically need the nicotine I am definately still dealing with the psychological addiction.  I get through the day by thinking about how I want to be around for my daughter when she is older and how when I can try again to concieve (conceive) in January I want to give the egg every opportunity to be healthy before conception.  I know how hard it is and I definately give kudos to those who have cut down!  I think cold turkey was easier for me as everytime I have one I immediately want another.  I was told once that the first 4 days are the hardest while your body cleans out the nicotine and the addicted receptors die.  It makes it a little bit easier when you can make it the 4 days even if it's a placebo thought!  Sorry so long...
I have to ask...its been on my mind lol. When you smoke while pregnant do you ever feel different? Do you notice it makes your stomach hurt, or that you get more of a buzz or that you can't stand the taste as much..or you need to smoke more! lol

Is smoking different to you when you're pregnant?
In the week I was pregnant, before I found out and quit, the only difference I noticed was that it caused me more cramping.  I kept thinking I was going to have a super bad AF.
I am truely sorry for those who are having trouble quitting. Good luck and keep cutting back.
Just a question, have you ever heard of babies getting cerebral palsy from mothers who smoked ciggerettes. Or has a doctor ever discussed this with any of you who are still smoking.
i'm 101/2 weeks pregnant, i smoked.....ALOT prior to getting pregnant like a pack a day, probably 2 packs on the weekend.  it was just what i did. it also kept me from eating.  i think i have an oral fixation.  anyways i have cut back to about 6 a day.  i think i'll be able to quit in about a week.  but anyways my 'tips'
i switched to ultra lights (it made me feel better) i don't buy them by the carto.  basically i guilt myself into walking to the counter to buy a pack.
i also have allowed myself to basically eat whatever i want if i'm having a 'fit'. and if all that fails i smoke enough that the craving goes away (usually 3 or 4 drags)
ALSO keep baby lotion on your hands at all times.  you will see what i mean when you are smoking.  its almost repulsive. :)
I am a quasi smoker..some here and there. I am 34 weeks pg and I don't think it going to cause major probs but I do enjoy it..  But I am taking Wellbutrin to help me w/ post partum depression and it is apparently prescribed to women who also want to quite smoking, and altho I am not taking it for this purpose it has certainly made me not as interested in smoking as I once was I go days w/out and smoke one a day every few days.  My h takes Chantrix which he got by callin gthe american cancer society and they gave hima coupon for them cuz they are about 100 bucks!!  They don't have nictine in them they just cause u to lose interst in smoking.  They workeed for him. Good luck
Hi Im 24 weeks preggy with #3....i cant stop smoking as well...please help me....every time i have one 1 i will start telling myself this will be the last stick......i just cant help it....i use to smoke 1 1/2 pack a day and now 1 pack for 2 days.....i did try my best to quit...but just so hard.....sometimes i do really hate myself for doing that...
I am also guilty of not being able to quit during pregnancy. With my first I tried so hard. The day I decided I was done I had a docs appt first thing the next morning. I was immediately transfered to the ER with a BP of 198/109 (it was checked 3 times) at 8 wks pregnant. While waiting at the ER I went outside and smoked a cig as my stress level was horrible and I had a headache from hell. When the doctor came in he took my blood pressure and was amazed that it had dropped to 130/85. I admitted going out to smoke and explained I had been trying to quit. I never had anymore problems with my BP during the pregnancy.  Unfortunately i never quit but I have a healthy 7 year old today. I cut down as much as I could but just couldnt fully quit. He was born on time and weight 7.3lbs. I am also ashamed that I smoked lightly with my other 2 pregnancies as well and also had healthy children. I really tried to quit with all of them I just couldnt. I also have some friends that never smoked in their life and had children born with severe defects or difficulties. So who really knows it is possible that women that do smoke and have children with problems that the babies would have been born with the same problems even if the mothers had not smoked. I know it's not good for the baby, I guess some of us are just not strong enough to fully quit. It is a horrible addiction. Most doctors will even say it is just as strong of an addictions as with coke or heroin. Congrats on trying....for some of us that is all we can do.
Congrats to those ladies who quit during pregnancy and also congrats to those who have cut right down! it is the best thing you can ever do for your little one.
My friend smoked during her first pregnancy and her baby developed asthma when he was 6. Her docs all told her that they cannot rule out the fact that she smoked so that may have caused her boy to have asthma. Also you never out-grow asthma. I am an asthmatic and have been asthma free for 13 years but that doesn't mean that i have out-grown it, in time it will rear its ugly head.
Her second child a boy died at 7 months pregnant. They found no genetic problem however they did tell her that in most cases of still births it is because of genetic problems, drugs or smoking whilst pregnant. Some of you might know i lost my baby girl last year at 8 months pregnant however i didn't smoke. When she died the first thing the docs asked me was if i smoked which i obviously didn't.
I'm not saying smoking 100% causes damage to the baby but it definitely doesn't hinder its development and also has been known to be the main cause behind still births.
I feel for you girl.
I'm 31w2d and I still haven't quit.
I used to be a pack a day and I've managed to keep it to 1/2 pack or less BUT I'm still disgusted with myself that I can't fully quit.

I have anxiety brought on with OCD.
I have an almost 1 year old and it's very stressful.
Hubby is gone most of the time working.
We live with his parents that both use tobacco products [[his mother smokes and his father dips.]] And hubby smokes too.
I'm scared to death about having this baby and raising it almost all by myself cuz like I said, hubby is working all the time, and when he's not, he's sleeping.
For the past 3 years, a cigarette is the ONLY way I know how to manage my stress and I've tried I can't tell you HOW many times, to quit smoking and I was never successful.
I managed to quit for 6 weeks when I was like 3 er 4 months pregnant with my daughter, but when we moved, it caused me to start right back up again because of the living conditions we were stuck in.

I went 4 er 5 days without a cigarette when I had my daughter and I was SO STUPID to have started back up and I'm so angry with myself now for it!!!
I didn't even think about quitting at the time, so the first thing I did when I got home from the hospital was go out for a smoke.

I only have 7 weeks to go till I have this baby, and I know I'm not gunna be able to quit completely by then.
So I figure I'm gunna have 2-4 days where I'm stuck in the hospital and can't go out to smoke while I'm there, and I'll see if I can use that as a jump-start this time around.
I'm just afraid the stress of having 2 babies to take care of all by myself for the most part, is gunna be the trigger to start back up again.

I'm so sick of smoking and I want to quit in the worst way, but I can't seem to bring myself to do it, it's pathetic.

Just keep slowing down if you can until you're not smoking at all anymore.
I hope you can be stronger than myself on that one.
It's best for you and your baby.
Don't quit cold turkey though because your baby is addicted to the nicotine and it can put the baby into shock and cause problems.
I was always told to slow down little by little until there's nothing else to slow down on and just stop.

Good luck and don't give up!!
i was the same way....just couldnt quit all together...through my pregnancy i had cut down to 2-3 smokes a day.. and although its bad for the baby and increases chances of early labour and whatnot doctor said to me not to just stop because it is more harmful... i ended up sticking with the 2-3 smokes and day and made it to 38 1/2 wks before giving labour..and had a very healthy little boy. Dont beat yourself up too much just keep trying the best you can
when i first took my pregnancy test for my 1st in the morning i had little more than half pack and i finished that pack the next day. i smoked a coulple of hubbies and with in 4 days i was to the point of not smoking any. it takes 7 days to break a habit which is part of smoking, the habit of lighting up and putting it to ur mouth. at 22 weeks i lost her and almost started smoking again. but i thought to myself why start up again when i had quit for 5 months. so i never smoked another cig. and in july it was a year i quit. when u quit smoking u have to acutally want to quit when ever i wanted one i told my self no do u want to make ur little one unhealthy. that helped me alot. and knew i wanted to stop. you cant just say ya ya i going to quit after i smoke just this one cuz then it turns into the next one.

for those of u who are smoking 2-4 a day that is not very much i know u can quit!!!

now since i quit for that long i really dont like the smell it has to be one of the nastyest smells when i was 3 or so weeks into my quitting i started to notice the bad smell. and i was soooo happy i didnt smell like that
Have you thought of trying an electronic cigarette? You can get different levels of nicotine, starting at 0. It's quite a bit more healthy because you are "smoking" steam instead of smoke.
Awww....Bless you ladies....For some reason I started up smoking again myself. I am having just 1-2 cigerrette singles a day...but i feel like ****! and sad.

I find the best thing is to smoke 4 puffs and put it out! Whether u cut the cig and save it for later...or smoke another later one...no more than 4 puffs

Change your brand too so its nasty. You wont smoke so much then.

This helped me quit for 4 weeks...not sure why I started up. Stress i think and tummy cramping and pregnancy fears..

I heard about the electronic cig from a friend just 2 days ago. it costs about $200 though...but i think it could be well worth the investment for those smoking a pack every day or every two days. My cig pack lasts a whole week or two..but i still want to find this gagdet!
PS of course we ALL know the risks...instead of attacking folks have a bit of compassion. Imagine you pregnant and knowing u could possible be hurting the baby or not doing the best YET unable to stop what could be causing the harm...and worrying about it adding more stress....

This is what saddens me....

So i recommended changing your cigerrette brand to something you have never smoked and make it a xtra light cigerrette. this always helped me and usually within the first day...this helped me stop smoking twice...also forcing yourself to skip the "after big meal" yummy relaxing cigerrate gives extra power.

I tend to smoke first thing in the morning...however being pregnant THAT IS A BIG NO NO NO for ME!!! Pregnancy gave me enough boost to not do that. Instead i have a big bowl of cereal, tons of fruits with it....then if i must have that smoke i hate at least 40 min after i eat...by then the cig isnt as enjoyable...so i put it out after 2-4 puffs....

Try this ladies...it worked for me!
It depends on which brand you buy. I've found a couple that are less than $100. Innovapor seems to be a favorite among the general public; and those are only $80.
I am happy to hear that I'm not alone. I always told myself that I'd quit smoking once I became pregnant but honestly, being pregnant hasn't made it any easier. This is my first child and I'm almost 17 weeks along. I went from smoking a pack a day before I was pregnant to about 8 a day once I found out. The guilt is overwhelming and I think about the harm I may be causing constantly. My friend is a doctor and she told me although the risk of having any complications are low, there is still a risk so is it woth gambling with. I wish everyone luck and I hope we all find the strength to quit.
I didnt bother reading the rest of the posts since I am very strongly against smoking during pregnancy. If you dont know by now perhaps search in google of the thousnds of chemicals in cigarettes such as and thus is just to name a petty few - formaldehyde (causes cancers plus used for embalming bodies) cyanide, ammonia. 4000 chemicals used and of you smoke them, your child is exposed to them. Some kids have learning problem, add,ashma and more from parents who smoke. My mother smoked and my sister has bad asthma, I had trouble in school. A friend of mines child is 16 and he looks 12 years old. The girls his age tower over him. His mother smoked while pregnant. Put your child first and do all you can to try things that will help you stop.
hi hun!well done for cutting down so much!i wish i could!im on about 10 or so a day and dont dare go any lower!u see one of the main reasons i smoke(the other being i enjoy it) is cz i struggle with depression and a really bad addiction to cutting myself and as a result i smoke rather than cut!as for smoking reducing birth weight-well i smoked the same as in this pregnancy all the way through my first and my son came out at 9lb 11oz on his due date!work that out!smoking is bad for you yes thats true but so is food in 2 much consumption or exercise if to much is done!smoking has just become a taboo in which everyone blames everything on from a cold to more serious things!i wouldnt worry to much with the amount you are on and to be honest it might do your baby more damage than good if you go cold turkey!but i dont know for sure cz every baby is different and im no expert!lol!good luck with whatever u choose to do x
You can't compare chemicals from cigarettes to over eating food and excercising too much. They don't even belong in the same category or sentence. The truth is CIGARETTES are BAD for everyone and as I stated, if you want to smoke formaldehyde and ammonia so be it but just remember that your unborn child is exposed to it. Every baby is born differently but you bet there will be some sort of health issue down the road. How can there not be.. the poisons in smokes are insane and deadly! I wouldn't be applauding. If you have issues with life in general that makes you smoke, find safer ways to manage them.
I was a smoker for many years and I know how hard it is to quit.  Truth be told, it was one of the hardest things I have ever done.  Did you know that it is considered by many in the medical profession to be the hardest substance to give up?  Harder then drugs, etc.  I gave it up when I decided to try to conceive as it truly is so bad for your baby.  The cravings are still there and I find one of the things that really helps keep me motivated is to carry an ultrasound picture of my little one around with me.  It helps remind me that I am doing it for him and to help give him the healthiest start in life I can.  I carry lots of little snacky things around with me.  Hard candies and lollipops were helpful to me.  Also those mini carrot sticks.  Look for a support system.  Ask the smokers in your life to keep it away from you.  And lastly, I have a list of reasons I carry with me....I really want to be around to see my little boy grown up.

Don't be too hard on yourself.  If you slip, don't beat yourself up, just start over.  It is not easy, but you can do it!!  Your off to a great start by cutting it down as much as you have.  Give yourself some credit and keep moving forward.  Turn quitting into a positive thing, not a negative.  I truly wish you much luck, and congrats on your pregnancy!!!
I am as well a smoker and with my 1st pregnancy I just couldn't qiut! I cut down to about 10 a day. My son was 10.4 pounds and is very healthy! And yes my Dr did tell me that quiting cold turkey during pregnancy could put your baby at risk.

Thanks,
i struggled also in the very beginning but i quit when i was 5 weeks. i just threw my pack of cigarettes out the window and i didn't allow myself to buy more. if you dont have any to smoke, you can't smoke. the symptoms will be terrible but its worth it for your baby. its better for your baby if you have headaches and withdrawal symptoms rather than those chemicals in your body. i suggest quitting the same way i did. it seems to be the only way. if you go buy another pack then your just allowing yourself to continue to hurt your baby.
I did not read all the posts, there's a lot of them.  I do not want you to feel like I am attacking you.  I am an expectant father, and my wife does not smoke, nor has she ever smoked.  But if she were a smoker, I would take her cigarettes away from her the moment we found out she was pregnant.  I don't know if this is true, but it's simply my own theory.  When an expectant mother smokes, her fetus is also exposed to and becomes addicted to the nicotine.  So yes, to quit cold turkey would put both the mother and fetus into a kind of shock.  If you quit cold turkey as soon as you found out you were pregnant, you may have some withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms, but since your child's circulatory system has not yet developed there would be no nicotine in the child's blood to be addicted to.  Again, I am not attacking you, my mother has been trying to quit smoking unsuccessfully for 20 years.  Have you talked to your doctor about smoking alternatives such as Nicorette or even the E-Cigarette?  Those have both got to be healthier for you and the baby than smoking.  
I hope you don't feel that I attacked you in any way, I wanted to, but I am a compassionate person.  I'm sure a lot of people have said, "Well any good mother would have put the cigarettes down they day she found out she was pregnant!"  I know it's harder than that.  I do commend you for cutting back, and I hope you continue to cut back.  I have known women who smoked through their entire pregnancies and gave birth to 8 pound babies.  Good luck, I hope all works out for you.
I am 12 weeks (this is an educated guess-my 1st doctor's visit is in a few days)  I was a heavy smoker before I found out I was pregnant. 1 to 2 packs a day.  I always thought I would quit cold turkey once I became pregnant, but it's harder than I thought... And I have now become the woman I used to shake my head at.  Anyway, Once I found out I managed to cut back a lot... even going some full days without a cig.  My husband was very supportive in the beginning-he dips constantly.  However, he suddenly changed his tune.  One night he talked to me in a way that he never has before.  I didn't even know he could be so mean.  Anyway he said I had to quit.  I tried so hard.  At that time we were getting ready to move from florida to north dakota(we are both military)  This move has been really stressful.  I'm very close to my family-they live in georgia- and even though I am able to talk to them on the phone it's not the same as seeing them.  I'm not trying to make excuses for myself.  I feel so guilty every time I smoke.  I cry sometimes after having a cig because of the guilt.  I wish I was able to just quit.. I'm just not that strong.  My husband saw me smoking yesterday morning.  He was furious.  He yelled and told me I didn't care about our baby's health.  I told him that the only time he ever had anything to say about the baby is when he sees a cig in my hand.  (I know this isn't what this blog is about, but he does show VERY little interest in my pregnancy.)  We both had to leave for work.  I told him I loved him and he wouldn't even say it back.  So here I am almost 2 days later and he still hasn't spoken to me... Not a single word.  I just wish he would support me.  It was so much easier in the beginning when he offered words of encouragement.  I just feel so alone.  I feel like he is being a hypocrite.  He dips all day everyday.  I told him we should quit together but he refused.  I know he's worried about our baby being healthy ( so am I) but I just think there are better ways for him to handle my smoking.  It's really hard trying to quit when I've just been put in a new town, away from my family, and I can't even talk to my husband about it.  Sorry to go on and on... I just need some advice I guess...
Hi all, I'm in the same boat, I am five weeks 4 days preggie and I'm in the process of quitting smoking. My doc recommended (since I am a high risk pregnancy all ready) that I cut down daily and give myself a "last day of smoking" date. (that date happens to be today, so when this pack is gone I'm all done!) one of the things that is helping me quit is .....believe it or not.....switching brands of cigs or flavors of cigs. If I smoke a cig I dont like, I'll smoke only half of it. I'm done to a half pack a day but I only smoke 1/2 of each cig (so realistically i smoke a full 5 a day). it's made it easier for me too that I've changed the times I smoke so that my old routine gets broken! good luck everyone!
Hi all,
read all of ur comments want to trust but scared too. I am now 4weeks pregnant. I had miscarriage last yr and couple of time early. I have been smoking for 9yrs now. M so worried abt loosing this one and think abt quiting smoking but I tend to smoke more out of stress. I just don wanna lose this time and want it to born healthy

Plz suggest something gud for ma baby.Should I quit or consult doc and take some medicine to quit it or not to harm my baby just because I smoke....
sorry in advance about the RANT but i know one too many people who wish they hadnt smoked. I am sorry if this upsets you or offends you. Please do not read this if my quasi-sympathy is displeasing but i am a blunt person and i tell it like it is***I am not a smoker and im not even sure im pregnant yet but i was wondering***.....why did you start smoking in the first place? and not to be rude but what do you think non-smokers do to deal with stress? i understand that quitting is extremely difficult but i must stress to you its MIND OVER MATTER. My boyfriend is european and he had been smoking since he was 6 YEARS OLD and when he decided to quit he quit. If you think you cant quit or that you NEED a cigarette then you will continue to be addicted. And although you feel guilty and would like to quit you wont quit until you really are through with relying on a drug to deal with life. You will never be rid of stress so it doesnt help you to continue smoking until there is less stress. Face the facts ladies. and if you can accept that your temporary pleasure may negatively affect your children then please puff on the cancer sticks all you want but the key to quitting is to just STOP SMOKING.
i am approx. 11 weeks pregnant and i havent been able to quit yet, this is my second child, and i was able to quit with the first for month 2 to 5, after that i had tooken up rolling my own ciggs, with organic additive free tobacco, it isnt safer, but turning the 3 or 4 smokes a day i was having into 1, (i would use only a tiny pinch in a paper), made a big difference, ive been smoking for 15 years, and if i dont have a cigg with my tea in the morning, or after a meal, im very restless, my daughter weighed 7lbs 14oz, and was BEYOND healthy, she had a great appetite, and she grew very fast, she has only had the 24hr flu once, and never has had a runny nose in her 3 yrs of life, my mother when she was pregnant with me smoked upwards of 2 packs a day and i was the same,  

i do not drink, and havent in a few years, i do not use hard drugs, i do ocassionaly smoke marijuana and i use for my depression, and to keep my appetite up,

when i was pregnant with my first, a friend of mine was pregnant at the same time, she couldnt quit either, she never smoked marijuana, but her choice in smoking, was not so good, she would smoke a pack a day of heavy regular ciggs, and when her baby was born she barley weighed 5 lbs and has a long list of very scary medical issues.

quitting smoking is number one on my list, it is a goal i feel i wont achieve at the moment, my life has become less and less stressful and i see a day coming soon, when it will be stress free, my goal in life is to make my familys life stress free, and i will achieve it, i dont think that smoking a few ciggs a day (i was a 2 pack a day person) will harm my child, you have to be smart about it, cutting back is the first step, after you cut back cut back a lil more untill you can live with yourself, and be content havein one or 2 a day,

there is women out there that are addicted to far worse things while pregnant, and you would be very suprised how many children are actually born into this world addicted to things they need not know about, i suggest to all the people out there that have their two cents to give to the stressed out pregnant women who smoke a few cigs a day, to keep it to themselves, i like to smoke, i like the flavor, and im pregnant, and ive had one person in my two pregnancys actully have enough gumption to say something to me, and i put them in their place, and then they had my husband to deal with right after me,

smoking is the last thing on a LONG list of things and substances that can hurt your baby, and you would be very suprised if you resarched it, as to what "harmless" things around you could be detrememtal to you baby, to all thoes non smokers, that think there better then smokers, i suggest you look it up,
To everyone I would like to thank you for all the comments.  I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my first and I am having a hard time quitting smoking, to date I have stopped smoking got a week and I feel very stressed.  I don't know what to do for I really want what's best for my baby. The father is very upset with the thought of me smoking even one cigarette.  I feel like buying a pack because I feel stressed, I wonder if my baby would be effected by the stress or the 1 to 2 smoke a day I feel like having.  My friend did quit for the first 3 month but went back smoking, even people who made quitting so simple had a hard time sticking with it.  It is hard and i really don't know what to do for the guilt is too much and I am scared to have a miscarriage due to stress.
hi my name is Fara and im 5 weeks pregnant.Before i knew i was pregnant which was last friday i smoke around 12 sticks a day.Now i cut back to only half a stick a day with the help of nicotine puff/e ciggarette. i know that nicotine is still bad for the baby but its better then smoking the real thing.I suggest you try this.I know its the hardest thing in the world to quit, but i believe we can with strong will : )
I am 11 weeks. and 20 years old. With my first baby (16) i had her at 17. i smoked the whole time. I started slowing down about 6 months tho.  ( my daughter is 3 mow and perfectly fine)

I had a miscariage early this year at 10 weeks in april.

I am scared to death of another miscarriage and I dont want it to be my fault bc im smoking!! It is hard.. sometimes ill be smoking and i put it out and start crying cus i feel soo bad!  But my first baby was 8lbs!
I believe if god wants you to have the baby he will make it happen,

I just wish I could do more for my baby and stop. some days i do better then others and other days not so good.

But i am happy too see that so many people are supportive on here and understand!!! most comments iv seen about smoking and pregnancy is like the people just down the questioner throat!!

Congrates to all the soon to be mommies on here!!!
I just want to say that i am glad i found this post..I smoked alot with my first pregnancy because i was under alot of stress and i no matter how hard i tried to quit i couldent,well my daughter was 8lbs 2 ozs and has only been sick 1 time and she will be 2 tomorrow"thank god" but my dr has told me the same things about just stopping you could put your baby under alot of stress..well i am now 34 weeks pregnant and i have cut down alot i have my days but everytime i light u[p a think about my unborn baby and i do feel bad but i just cant seem to quit..i did not smoke the whole 1st trimester because it made me sick but then as soon as i realised i could smoke again i started back..people look at you funny and make comments which i understand why but if you dont smoke it is kinda hard for you to understand..but i am just glad to see that i am not alone in this
Im extremly guilty and stressed out that i can not stop smoking completly. some days i can go the whole day and other days i smoke as many as 5. Let me just say i was told i would never be able to have kids and i have had two other children with the help of many doctors and drugs to aid in becoming pregnant. my first child i was so excited to be pregnant i stoped cold turkey. although i had a hard pregnancy he was born 6lb 11oz and i stoped smoking at 2 months as soon as i found out i was pregnant. with my second hansome boy i smoked here and there as the days were stressful never more than 3 or 4a day but still not very heavy and not every day. we also took drugs to get pregnant with him i had a very hard time carrying him and was on bedrest alot. Tyler Elijah died at three months old while daddy was away on active duty after only being held in his daddys arms 2 days. he died september 14,2010 to SIDS- let me just say its a horrible way for a mother to find her baby this way and coping with it after the fact,,,,,,,well i guess you become known to everyone else as crazy because unless you have lost a child there is no explaining it......YOU ARE NOT SET FREE OF THE GUIT OF WHAT YOU COULD OF DONE DFFERENT. i had smoked while i was pregnant and for the first time ever smoked a cig in a very distant room of the house the night of his death. and i wonder if my smoking caused his death. However even wih this guilt...... i begain to smoke very heavy after his death as i know all of you that smoke could feel me on how and why in a time of such stress i would smoke like crazy... i got up to aout 3 packs a day just out of control.........3 weeks after tyler passed away i found myself pregnant......later to find out its twins....no doctors no drug......and NOT READY FOR ANOTHER BABY SO SOON, LET ALONE 2!!!! please forgive me for sounding so ungrateful, i am working on coming around, babies are due in the same birth month as tyler, im trying my best to cope and im unable to take any of the medication i was taking to cope, my husban has gotten out of the army  due to having a hard time dealing with are son passing away and can not find work so there is alot of stress and trying to cope and so........i smoke.....and there is so much guilt and im mad at myself for it exspecially theres two and they are already at high risk for low low birth weight and lung issues.....i do feel so horrible as a person i do wish i could stop....im 22 weeks and to be honest its as though iv really not dealt or faced the fact im pregnant or that its twins or even that iv really lost my son and hes never coming back....i just close the door to the nursery in hopes the baby i laid to bed sept 13, 2010 will soon cry for his next feeding soon and ill wake up and it will have all been a nightmare. but yet my fear is these babies are gong to come and if there healthy through all the smoking iv done ill never sleep out of fear.....im just trying to make it one day at a time and when ppl stop and make comments about me smoking while pregnant.....im a nice person i am but when ppl involve themselves im so over stressed with all of it i must tell them to mind there own bussiness unless they wish to take the whole time to here my story and even if they want to here my story please NO opions  
I am also a smoker. I have been smoking cents I was 7-8 I used it to well I guess that does not matter why you smoke. Anyway I am on my 4th baby I cut down with all of them and was also told by my doc not to quit tell after baby is born to stressful on mom and baby. I wanted to quit with every child and have tried after all were born. With my first I quit for 3m then my husband still did and well I was bored one day there was a pack of smokes around you know the rest. With my second baby I did try but she was colic so if I had not went back to smoking I might have killed her or my self lol. With my last baby I quit for 5m then he started passing out and that scarred the hell out of me so my friend who went with me to get his brain scanned smoked and one led to two then you know the rest. I will say my son is 12 now and was 8lb2oz my daughter is 10 now and was 7lb 2oz and my son is 2 now and was 8lb 14oz they are all in great health my youngest is still passing out doc said he gets mad and holds his breath lots of kids do it. Any way I am on my 4th baby and I was up to a pack and a half a day. I am now smoking about a pack every 4 days. I do feel bad but there is nothing I can do I hate to say that something is worth my child's health but here I am smoking the way I look at is I could be a pill head a crack addict or worse I do not drink do not take drugs have never even smoked pot. I do hope to quit after I have him but as for now I am doing my best I am only a person I am not perfect but I am not as bad as I could be. Look at what out parents did when we were in there tummy I know my mom smoked and drank with me and my siblings but we are all fine well my brother is an *** some times but who knows why so do your best dont due drugs or drink just try and cut back. I will say tho I do not smoke in my house have never with any of my kids, I smoke outside never smoke in the car with them never even if they are not there. I also were two different shirts when I smoke and when I don;t I have a coat for when I smoke too. I wear a hat and gloves and sanitize myself as soon as I come inside. There have been allot of test that prove second hand smoke is worth than first so in this day and age there is no reason why a mother would ever smoke near her child that is putting them in allot of danger, so if you cant stop now at least dont make your child a smoker when they are born  Even if you just smoke out side there is enough tobacco on your cloths and hands and hair it as if when you kiss or snuggle with your little one they are smoking as well so please were a different shirt and wash your hands allot..... And never ever ever ever smoke around your kids....
I am so glad I found this post. I'm 23 weeks pregnant and can't seem to fully kick the habit. I quit for 5 weeks over the holidays. Then I moved from New Jersey to California because my husband is stationed out here through the Marine Corps. The smoking kicked back up around that time because I was so stressed out. The doctor told me my baby is perfectly healthy so far and that I shouldn't feel guilty about smoking a few cigarettes a day. But it's my child. Of course I feel guilty. He depends on me for everything and I can't help but feel wretched that I haven't been strong enough to quit yet. So all of you women who commented on here have totally made me feel not so alone and I appreciate that! Thank you again and congrats to all.
Hi there. Is know this post is old and most of you have had your babies but I am glad I am not alone in this. I am only 5 weeks preggo and haven't quit yet. I am planning on it and hope that when I see the baby on ultrasound that it will affect me. I feel for all of you ladies as we are all in the same boat. I have already been made to feel horrible from people and it just infuriates me. It's always the tea kettle calling the pot black....as he sits there puffing away on his pipe and criticizing me through his black teeth! GRRRRR!!!!!!! Everyone thinks they are so perfect but it's usually the ones that have never been addicted to smoking, or like this guy just arrogant so they have no right acting holier than thou! Anyway....this post comes up in google right away so I hope other ladies today that are going through this will join and we can support eachother through our terms! My name is Shawna and I am from Canada.
Congrats on cutting down because it is VERY HARD! I ended up having a miscarriage due to my PCOS just over a year ago but when I found out I was preggo, my doc did not want me to quit altogether. He wanted me to slowly quit so I didn't stress too much because that CAN hurt the baby. I have known a few women who miscarried or had complications due to quitting smoking altogether. I don't know yet if I am pregnant or not, since I do have symptoms and have started a new medicine to help me get pregnant, but I am trying very hard to cut back on my cigs so I can give my baby the best chance possible.
I'm in the same boat as all of u. This is my first baby and believe me I'm very excited, I'm only 20 I no young mum and everything but I'm trying.  I'm 20 weeks tomorrow, I did stop smoking at 8 weeks and it's haven't had a smoke since until last week, my partner started smoking again and being around it at home just makes me want to do it. I proba only have 3-4 a day I used to smoke a pack and half I've smoked since I was 14 and I'm almost 20. I feel bad enough as it is having that many and I don't want people to judge me, I'm trying so hard to stop again. I wanna know those who have had ur babies were they ok.. How did u go with labour etc. Please I need help I'm beating myself up and make myself sick thinking I'm a going to be a bad mum, Please do not be harsh with replies because if u have never smoked in ur life u have no idea how hard this is.
when your about to light a smoke why dont you just picture putting a smoke in your newborns mouth.... wouldnt that be disturbing to do? well its very bad to be doing now you are increasing the risks of so many things you are endangering your child and i dont care what anyone thinks of my opinion im not trying to be mean or anything but thats just the reality of if it... do you tell your children not to wear a seat belt in the car or not to wear a helmet when riding a bike? no because that would be unsafe now wouldnt it.... or you could just serve them a glass of windex with their supper with a side of rat poison

i know its hard to quit but i did it all three times the day i found out i was pregnant i couldnt have smoked if i wanted to cause the thought of hurting my baby is way worse than a ciggerette craving
wish you luck and i hope you quit
i think if we were having babies back in the 70s noone would say anything about smoking and being pregnant....i remember going to er and ppl sitting in the waiting room smoking ppl used to smoke in the stores so i think it is all away of living like go green and all the other things so thats good if you can cut back do it i know it is hard im on my fourth child and i smoke
Hello I'm 11 weeks and a nurse and I smoke.  I am down to 2 a day at the most.  I feel horrible since I'm a pulmonary nurse and know the risks.  Its so hard to stop the habit ESP when your around smokers.  Good luck to you ladies and applause on cutting back.
I too have quit smoking (for the second time) due to pregnancy.  I quit before I got pregnant the first time, then stupidly went back to it several months after my son was born.  I'm pregnant again, and just quit again.  It's hard.  And yes, it's true, in the 70's they wouldn't have said anything.  Simply because they did not know then what they know now.  They also didn't have you use carseats, and a host of other things that we now know are vital to our children's health and safety.

Here are some tips that helped (and are helping) me.  Write down a list of the reasons you want to smoke.  Smoking in pregnancy can lead to things like low birth weight, premature labor, asthma, etc.  Carry this list with you and refer to it when you have a craving. I also carry around things like lifesavers, werthers, any kind of hard candy that I can suck on.  It helps a lot.  Lots of water.  I drink it constantly.  And just take it day by day (or hour by hour if you have to).  Just tell yourself...for this hour, I will not smoke.  Keep doing that.  Remember the physical part of it leaves your body in about 3 days.  You can do this!!!! As for people judging...don't worry about them.  This is about you and the health of your baby.  I know you want your child to get off to the best start possible, and this is part of that.  Best of luck to you!
Im a smoker with my 3rd child.   With my first i quit because they made me Sick.  Smoked with my second pregnancy b/c that was my craving.    Im now due in march.  And i smoke because it calms me down due to highstress levels. My dr said my baby is currently above weight and developing great.  He told me to switch to a low grade cigarette.  Such as lights.  And when possible keep in moderation.   So i smoke lights and half a pack or less a day. Which was way better then the pack and a half i was smoking.    And i have anxiety which i need meds for that i cant take due to the pregnancy.  Smoking helps me with that also.  

Plus.  There r women that do drugs and drink while pregnant.  Which is still wrong but far worse then smoking..
I can't give too much advice I was a chain smoker and quit cold turkey. I say break your cigarettes and don't buy more. Remember that you are harming your unborn child who has no say in the matter. I'm not judging however that's what I told myself to quit drinking and smoking cold turkey. It can be done.
My mother smoked the hole time she was pregnant with me. I'm now a perfectly healthy 19 year old and 14 weeks pregnant :) although I don't recommend smoking, just try to keep cutting back and chew gum a lot or try puffing on a straw.
I'm on 48hrd of Smokin it's do bloody.hard.I'm 8wks Oregon. I stopped when I Was around 8 wks with.My son aswell.n lasted 18months smike free. But yep started agaim.. My son Was born at 32wks n Had to stay on scbu.but I know him comicn prem Had nothing to do with me so I'm Glad.this time is Soo hard I have a three yr pjd pushin My bottoms with him all day everyone day a partner who Still smokes but.not intront of Mr I'm so stressed. Well done all the women who cut down its do hard xx
I am 37 weeks pregnant and have been smoking 6-8 cigarettes a day, sometimes a couple more. I'm finding it even harder to quit now because we are trying to move into our own place and really can't afford it. Plus I'm stressed about the baby coming. I haven't really had any food cravings the whole pregnancy but I crave cigarettes more than before I was pregnant. I hate myself for not being able to quit. I'm curious to hear how many cigarettes you ladies are smoking a day. Does it matter how many? I'm freaking out that my baby will have breathing problems when she's born.
I was able to finally kick the habit. I am 17 weeks pregnant. I have been a smoker for 12 years religiously.  It is all about will power. Mind over matter bottom line. The cravings for a cigarette are very strong but they aren't painful or make you horribly sick. You have to be stronger than the addiction to be able to put down the smokes. If I can do it ANYONE can do it!!!
This is not a forum where you should be putting people down. No body is the same and just cause you did something doesn't mean others can do it. Give them encouragement not judgement and name calling. Ladies pray about it and for the ones who are trying and have cut back good job and keep on and one day you will not want a cigarette.
I'm 20 weeks pregnant, and also a smoker. I've tried my hardest to quit, but no luck. I was smoking a pack to a pack and a half a day before I got pregnant, but now I'm down to about 8 a day. I worry myself sick about my baby and doctor appointments are a big relief to me when I am able to see my baby and hear the heart beat just to know he's ok. If anyone has any advice, great, I'd love to hear it. Good luck ladies!
I am 9 wks with my 3rd child and having the same problem. I quit with my first 2 but crave them with my 3rd. Im smoking about 4-5 a day. Really hoping we both lose the desire. I feel so guilty. You're not alone. Good luck!!!
I'm not a smoker now BUT I was for a very long time.  I quit once for a year and a half and one drunken night led a cig to my mouth and we were inseparable. LOL!! I just quit again in August but let me tell you! IT WAS SO HARD! I cheated here and there (many times) but I wore the patch for 3 months. I would've worn that patch no mater how long it took. My bf quit cold turkey at the same time and he just smiled, loved life w/out a cigarette. I wanted to punch him in the face and shove a cigarette down his throat. But whatev!  :) I still miss smoking but now that I'm pregnant I'm thankful I quit when I did.

My mom smoked throughout her pregnancies, like a freight train. She even smoked out her hospital room buddy (the 80's).  We were all under weight but no health problems or anything.  We excelled at academic activities and sports. I think its just the way the cookie crumbles.  :) GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!  
CaimtThis is my third baby and I am not going to lie I smoke a pack to 2packs a day I know it is so wrong but my boyfriend says stuff to make me mad and it makes me want to smokepte

More I wish he would relax so I could at least try to quit smoking but its hard
I am 10 weeks pregnant and i can't quit smoking everytime i try i get shakey (shaky) and i clench my teeth i freak out i want to quit so badly i am very ashamed to say i have had a baby before my 3 year old son i did cut back but i never could quit he came out completely perfect and healthy and 8 lbs but with the chemicals in our ciggerettes increasing like the fire safety IM scared to have smoked as much as i have my husband smokes as well i really need to quit i feel IM hurting to baby when my body withdrawals as strongly as it does what do i do
Thank you so much for your story about your sister. That has scared me to making a effort to really try to quit.  
i havent had this problem....been smoking since 12 an smoked with my last child but miscarried at 9 wk but dint find out til 12wk, this was in august. I recently found out that im pregnant again so when i was abwt 4wk pregnant i saw the stopping smoking woman that my mid-wife referred me to an she gave me patches and enhalor,however the patches made me throw up an go into cold sweats and shake after 6hrs of wear.So i went onto the enhalor and used it for abwt a week but because the taste is like nicotine combined with fish it put me off an now i carnt stand smell of smoke. My boyfriend stills smokes and wonders why i dont want to kiss him sometimes,but im still going stronge six weeks on....i do still crave a cig an get very tempted but thers one thing that stops me an its knowing my baby needs all the oxygen to have a good healthy start, and its not about just me anymore an this stops me until next crave.It is hard but this babys heart beat aint as fast as last one an this one looks more laid back and chilled so i fink i can safely say that iv done the right thing by trying an having the will-power this time......hope it helps you all that aint succeeded an hope you message me if it does help you lol xxx
Weres my comment gone
My first pregnancy I had no problem stopping but my second is a whole lot worse I'm currently 5 weeks pregnant and my Dr said do not quit cold turkey while pregnant, she said it is a lot better for the baby and you to wean yourself off. That's what I am doing and I'm down to 1 a day and some days I don't even have one. I only smoke 1 when I get really bad withdrawal symptoms. So good luck! Just be strong and keep thinking of your little baby, It helps. Just talk with your Dr and find a method that is best for you as well as your baby. :)
I can't quit and feel horrible I smoked my first pregnancy and thankfully have a completely healthy 3 year old now this pregnancy I feel like I smoke more then I did before I was pregnant I have alot of stress not that thats an excuse but i would be happy if I only smoked four a day
There's absolutely no medical reason that you need to keep smoking for a baby, to prevent stress on them or prevent withdrawal or anything else. Stopping smoking as soon as possible is absolutely the best thing you can do for your health and your child's. I quit cold turkey the moment I found out I was pregnant with my daughter and I was a smoker for 18 years. Honestly, it's poison. I get how hard it is to stop but there's  just no acceptable reason to poison your unborn child because you want to continue to smoke, it's selfish. Motherhood is a series of challenges and sacrifices, we should all really do our best to provide our children with as healthy a start as possible. The decisions you make will
Impact this tiny person for life. The best advice I can give is to recognize and think about what you are doing to your unborn baby every time you light up, that alone should give you motivation to stop.

I don't mean to be harsh or rude, but it's upsetting to see people telling each other how hard it is or how cutting down is enough, that their babies were fine. Statistically speaking, plenty of babies aren't fine and don't survive or have horrible defects.  If you want to have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy child, you really should stop smoking as soon as possible, period. There's a reason why each pack comes with a warning.
Spot on Kateee sick of seeing people justify and encourage smoking during pregnancy. I quit both pregnancies. No excuses..your child doesn't choose to.smoke and you could be causi.ng life long problems for your child.
I'm 21 weeks and I feel guilty for smoking as well. Before pregnancy I smoked a pack every 5 days. . Now a pack lasts me A week. It sickens me with guilt and I hate myself for it. I keep telling myself I have to be stronger with more will power. But I end up smoking one anyway. My doctor told me quitting cold is going to throw my body in shock and stress out myself and baby. I've tried everything from sucking on lollipops to putting money in a bank every time I decide I need one. It just drives me crazy. I have anxiety problems before pregnancy. I gave up on my anxiety meds. But can't seem to give up cigarettes. It sickens me to go to the store to buy cigs and wonder what the cashier clerk thinks its for?!!! My husband works on a ship in the sea. I see him 3 days out of 2 weeks. It's stressful. I know how u feel! Let us all pray for more strength to quit!

Ps why do women who don't smoke even bother writing or replying to us( the sufferers) about how bad it is. I wonder what addiction they have if they don't smoke? Maybe pill poppers? Who knows. America, the land of the free but the most judgemental and most self contradicting!
I smoked but I did give up because you're not only smoking you are making your baby smoke and I could never piut my baby through that ..I Iwitnessed a family friend go into pre term labour at 23weeks...caused by smoking. Her son was born severely disabled .he's now 22 and she still cares for him. He can't even go to the loo on his own.its just not worth it..its only nine months and problems can occur after baby is born too. Huge risk or sids if you smoked during pregnancy..I plead smokers to stop. By the way that stopping cols turkey puts the baby in shock is bull. It's far better yo stop than keep putting toxins into your baby..even cutting down is Stoll had..cold turkey is best.
I am 8 weeks and I've been trying to quit for about a week. It's really hard bc I was a pack a day smoker and I am constantly stressed out by my job, husband etc and the only thing that ever calms me down is to light one up lol although I HAVE FOUND ONE THING  that has helped me and I hope it helps you guys as well. Change brands. Get a brand that is completely disgusting. I smoke menthol ciggs Newports a pack a day and I switched to pall mall menthol now I can stretch a pack for 3 days and 'm decreasing evryday!
That particular brand makes my mouth water and it fees like i'm going to gag and I don't breath through my nose bc I wouldn't be able to smoke em at all if i did. Usually I won't even finish a whole cig I just take a few puffs until i feel satisfied and then short it bc thy're so nasty lol Well I really hope this helps you guys. GOOD LUCK!
Kind of scared I quit cold Turkey @4 wks.
My doctor recomended that I try an electronic cig because you are not inhaling smoke what you get it water vapor with nicotine. Compared to all the harmful chemicals in ciggerette smoke nicotine is nothing. This makes me less guilty about smoking and I can usually only use the electronic ciggerette. Hope this helps.
I'm 14weeks and its hard for like almost off and on 3 of my months I smoked cigarttes and then quit like a month now I smoke like a jail house of a cig we are bad moms to smoke I personally understand all of this my 3rd and I m scaried I hope quit and you all to something u moms to be could try k candy alots of gummie chewy favorful candy good for morning sickness and peaches something with lots of fuit and juice helps me something or to be honest gum good luck moms be safe then these are our lil ones
i  m pregnant with my 2nd nd i cnt seem to quit bt i hv cut down and i m 30 weeks i m so worrid bt dnt knw hw to stop plz help i want to bt then its hard to di so
I'm in a relationship with a woman that smokes. We are now 2 maybe 3 weeks pregnant. It kills me inside to see her harm the baby when she smokes. I love the woman, but I don't think I can be a part of this. I love her very much, but she's causing so much harm to our baby. :(
what happens if the baby goes in to shock? can it kill it? im only 17 and really nervous lol so im kinda studying
She could use your support right now more than ever. I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and I have the same problem. I don't want to smoke and every time I light up or someone else does it smells horrid to me but I still can't seem to not light one up. We have a 3 yr old daughter that unfortunately I smoked the whole time I was pregnant with her and ate prescription pills but she came out healthy as a whistle at a month early. Thankfully I don't take the pills anymore but not smoking is so hard. My husband smokes also and he doesn't smoke around me because I've been trying to quit with everything that I am. I'm looking into Wellbutrin as an aid to help me quit but haven't talked to my Dr yet. Please don't leave her right now as this is a very vulnerable time. With a little bit of conversation and support you may be able to help her quit more than you think. I understand where you are coming from but before you make any brash decisions go with her to a DR's appt and see how the baby is doing.  They can track the babies growth with ultrasound. Smoking releases a chemical that makes some people very addicted to them. So bad my mother-in-law has the beginning stages of lung cancer and still can't quit. I hope this gives you a little insight because I think leaving her is the wrong thing to do based soley on just smoking. I understand you're hurt, angry and concerned but your support and help on the topic could go a long way. Best of luck to you both!!
MY WIFE GOT PREGNANT BY HER PAST BOYFRIEND WHILE SHE WAS IN A MENTANTAL GROUP HOME. HE BAILED WHEN HE FOUND OUT SHE WAS PREGNANT. AT THIS TIME WE BOTH WERE THERE. SHE DID NOT LIKE ME TO WELL AND I DIDN'T GET ALONG WITH HER AT THAT TIME. AT ABOUT HER THIRD MONTH OF PREGNANCY SHE SLIPPED A NOTE UNDER MY DOOR SAYING  I WAS CUTE AND I TOLD HER I THOUGHT SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL ALSO. I ASKED HER THAT DAY TO MCDONALD'S FOR A DRINK THAT DAY. ON THE WAY WE TALKED ABOUT THE BABY, HER SMOKING, AND THEN I MADE A COMMENT THAT SHE SAID SOUNDED LIKE A PROPOSAL. I  THEN PROPOSED AT MCDONALD'S, 1 WEEK  LATER WE GOT MARRIED, AND THEN I MADE MY WIFE QUITE SMOKING COLD TURKEY. THIS WAS IN SEPTEMBER 1995 AND THEN BABY A. WAS BORN IN EARLY PREMATURE 3 MONTHS WITH HERMANGINOMAS ON THE LUNGS, THE BACK , AND ONE OVER THE EYE. SHE REMAINED IN THE NICU FOR MONTHS. SHE IS NOW GOING ON 19 AND HER SIZE (HEIGHT AND WEIGHT) IS WITHIN EVERYONE HER AGE. SHE HAS NO MENTAL PROBLEMS EITHER. FOR THIS REASON I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU GET PREGNANT /OR ARE THINKING ABOUT IT YOU SHOULD GIVE UP THE CIGARETTES AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. THE DOCTORS COULDN'T BE DEFINITE THAT EARLIER SMOKING IS WHAT CAUSED THE HERMANGINOMAS OR THE PREMATURE PREGNANCY WHICH RESULTED IN AN EMERGENCY C-SECTION BEING DONE.