Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Pregnant with Cyst on ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Pregnant with Cyst on ovary

My husband and I went in for our 1st appointment with our OB/GYN.  The ultrasound showed a healthy growing tiny baby but it also showed that a cyst had developed on my right ovary.  Is this common?  Will this affect my pregnancy?  Mind you, I've had 3 previous miscarriages.  
hi im 38 wks pregnant i have a complex cyst on my left ovary it was very painful in the early stages in my pregnancy i had growth of the cyst at one point bt it stop growing the baby has done very well in fact she pushed the cyst out the way so whn we go for u/s all we can now see is her im schd for a csection to have it removed after her birth ive been high risk my entire pregnancy so plenty u/s i honestly was so afraid of the neg ifs bt everything seems to be going very well
It is common for cysts to develop in early pregnancy.  I had one with my son, about the size of an orange and it was painful.  I was suprised to learn that they are helpful in that they help sustain the pregnancy until the placenta is formed and can take over.  They will monitor it and make sure it doesn't continue to grow after the placenta is formed and fully functioning, but until then that is helping to keep the baby.  Mine was totally gone by the time I was 20 weeks.
Thank you.  Its so reassuring to know that so many women have gone through some of the exact issues my hubby and I are dealing with, and that everything turned out fine for them.  :)
I have also had multiple m/c and am now 10 weeks pregnant. When I went in for my 5 week u/s they showed me a cyst that I also ahd on my right overy. They told me that this was completely normal and that it should disappear after my first trimester. They are thinking that it was from the Clomid that I was taking to get pregnant. Did you use any kind of fertility medicine?

Congrats on your pregnancy and please do not sorry although I know it is hard not actually do. Please keep us updated.
Most likely it is a corpus luteum cyst.  Many times when you ovulate a cyst will form on the follicle that released the egg.  These cysts are usually small but can get to be large enough to cause pain and discomfort.  Even the small cysts can cause some pain.  These will usually resolve themselves by the end of the first trimester and even the large ones don't usually have any adverse affects on the pregnancy.  I am on pregnancy # 8 (inc 2 m/c's) and this pregnancy was the first that I've known of having a cyst on my ovary...by around week 10 I no longer felt the twinges of pain from that side and I am not 31 weeks and all is well.
im only just pregnant and went im 4 my first scan and was told i have a cyst on my right ovary and am getting realy scared because i have had some complications with my past two pregnancies i have been on clost watch can this cyst cause harm 2 me and my unborn child im nly 22yrz old and im getting worried my cyst is getting bigger and it has burst a bit please help ur opinionz will mean tha world